Does X-Wing Picture Reveal Big Clues About The Political Climate of The Sequels?

gareth

Hello all,

I have not been on in a bit, really used to love coming on here during the Prequels as I worked in the game industry then while I was doing media, and they were very cool about web use as long as the work got done.

So looking at JJ picture the other day, a few ideas came to mind that I wanted to discuss.

I wrote up an opinion piece as I think JJ may have given us some big clues with the picture of him and the X-Wing. Mainly that the political state of the prequels is a mess. Think about this, the senate is still dealing with the corruption and issues that were common in the pre-Empire era. Some may say look we just got rid of one military body, we are not eager for another. Also, the Empire may be a bigger presence than thought as such systems are on the fence still which limits the budget for new ships and hardware.

Scenario A has the Republic restored and facing the same issues that plagued them in the Prequel Trilogy. Corruption, scandals, infighting, and mistrust may be common place. Add to it that many systems were likely loyal to the Empire, the notion of armed rebels overthrowing the ruling power and establishing their leaders in positions of political power may not sit well with many systems.

As such, there could be a fear that those systems who did not actively support the rebellion such as the Bothans and Mon Calamari may find themselves slow to trust or be trusted by the new admin.

As such, there likely would be calls for a reduced military as the last thing many systems would want to see is one well armed military unit replaced with another one.

As such the former Rebel Alliance might have to stretch their technology by keeping older ships on the front lines longer than they would wish.

Scenario B is that the Empire is still very much a pardon the pun, Force to be reckoned with and as such the restoration of the Republic has been a slow process especially with some systems sitting on a fence and playing both sides.

In a state of constant readiness and defense over the last three decades the need to keep proven ships in service is clear as performance over style would be a factor as would cost. It is also likely easier to find pilots who can fly a thirty plus year old ship over a new design as avionics and internal systems can be updated but the basic design remains unchanged. You can read the full thing below if you want but I wanted to float this out there.

Thank you

http://imaspammer/2014/07/23/x-wing-tease-by-jj-abrams-may-reveal-more-than-you-first-may-think-about-the-new-star-wars-trilogy/

Interesting theory, let me through one thing out-- a 30 year old ship in the SW universe wouldn't mean much. Given that the galaxy has had hyperspace for thousands of years and the Republic stood for so long I think the tech ceiling was hit ages ago.

The only technology that seemed improved between the PT and OT was cybernetics. In the PT it looked as though cyber-parts were still clearly more robotic and visible (the TF navigator, Typho's eye, Anakin's hand) where as in the OT Luke's hand was indistinguishable from a real one.

Very true but the battered nature of the ship indicates some serious conflict. A new admin might want to get a new fleet in place, so either they are using the ships from the Rebellion or unable to fund/create new ships is how I am seeing it. Look at the change in design from the Prequels to Original era. 20 years, and yes I know the Empire was in place and driving tech, but there were changes in ship design and even the X-Wings of the original era which were from an rag tag Rebellion looked better in my opinion.

Well the galaxy was in the middle of a civil war and I doubt the empire folded after the destruction of the Death Star.

I wouldnt be suprised if there werent extreme loyal areas around the galaxy that are imperial strongholds.

Plus there could have been infighting between the rebels as to who takes power in areas liberated. Neverending power struggles.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Interesting theory, let me through one thing out-- a 30 year old ship in the SW universe wouldn't mean much. Given that the galaxy has had hyperspace for thousands of years and the Republic stood for so long I think the tech ceiling was hit ages ago.

The only technology that seemed improved between the PT and OT was cybernetics. In the PT it looked as though cyber-parts were still clearly more robotic and visible (the TF navigator, Typho's eye, Anakin's hand) where as in the OT Luke's hand was indistinguishable from a real one.

Even then, other than Anakin's hand, the other cybernetics don't look any more or less advanced than say Lobot. And as far as Anakin's hand is concerned, showing it as a robotic hand is more about the visual story of Anakin becoming more machine than man, than Luke's hand being more advanced. For all we know, other than the fake skin, they are the same technology.

If anything, I always thought the OT ships and technology looked less advanced than the PT, and my "personal canon" was that was indicative of the "Dark Times," where technology took a back slide, like what happens to dictatorships in real life.

I thought the Star Wars followed the idea of maxed out technology. There is no great advancement any more just different version of the same thing. There can be small break though here and there but more of those will have been lost to time then there are now. So any new X-Wing may be better in some area but that will be at the cost of something it will not be as good at.

They're blueish, but other colors are there. It's clearly meant to be seen as an imperfect technology.

There's a cool bit that if you blink you miss in ESB. When the captains report in to Vader about not finding the Falcon in the asteroid field their holograms are each slightly different colors and "cycling" at different rates. Right before the scene you see a asteroid hit a star destroyer, and as soon as they cut to Vader you see that captain flinch and his hologram fizzes out.

Leia's hologram in ANH had pretty distinct coloring.

Even though I'd seen ESB hundreds of times on videocassette (cropped to a 4:3 ratio), when the widescreen tapes came out I newly lost my shit in amazement at how much more was happening, most notably the Imperial communication Driver mentions above. Before, there was always the asteroid impact shown, but the officer was always just offscreen.

Leia's hologram in ANH had pretty distinct coloring.

Even though I'd seen ESB hundreds of times on videocassette (cropped to a 4:3 ratio), when the widescreen tapes came out I newly lost my **** in amazement at how much more was happening, most notably the Imperial communication Driver mentions above. Before, there was always the asteroid impact shown, but the officer was always just offscreen.

Yeah, that was interesting to see for the first time. Just see the guy with his hands up in the air, and then his picture disappearing.

Guest El Chalupacabra

All color holograms were from R2D2. All blue ones, PT and OT, were interplanetary transmissions, but they had some colors also. Maybe that accounts for the difference?

It's an interesting look at it, and I think it'll end up being mostly accurate. The thing is, if we take clues from the OT and the PT, and things that were said about those movies behind the scenes, it would make sense that there is more to this.

Lucas explained, at one point, that there is a reason the ships in the PT look so shiny and new.....because they are. The galaxy is prosperous, systems and planets are all doing well, the republic appears solid, it's before Palpatine begins his take over. Think Cuba before Castro. He also explained that the reason the rebel ships seem so beat up and "used" is because they are. The rebels weren't "funded" and were forced to use what they could to fight...hence the beat up, "older" ships. Again it makes sense when you think Cuba after Castro.

The thing that wouldn't make sense is that we assume that the republic is reformed after the defeat of the Empire, and 30 years later things would be pretty good again....yet someone is still flying around in a 30+ year old ship. If we assume that X-wing fighters are fairly old in ANH, then they are REALLY old in Ep7. We also don't know who's ship it is yet. But it would make sense that a battle worn X-Wing, 30+ years old, would mean it's still fighting...it's Luke's and he just loves it...or things aren't as "good" as they should be 30 years after defeating the Empire.

It's not 30 years old thought cause it's clearly a newer designed X-Wing. Yes it looms bet up, but it's not fresh from ROTJ

True, could be an "updated" version....like a 2015 Mustang vs a 2004 Mustang. But still, it looks strange that the ship hasn't changed much in 30+ years...yet there was a HUGE difference in ship design between TPM and ANH. In the end we could all be looking way too deep into this....which we often do. Or it could be a one-off ship...like the last x-wing that someone (Luke?) just doesn't want to give up. Like my Dad and his 69 Torino.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.