Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PS 4 announced. Anyone getting it?

70 replies to this topic

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,888 posts
I've been enjoying the Xbox 360 so I'll probably pass, but if the next xbox fails as often as the 360 I will probably switch over.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,547 posts
I just bought a replacement PS3 a few months ago, so nope.

GeorgeWBiscuit

GeorgeWBiscuit

Mandingo

• Members
  • 99 posts
I switched from PS3 to Xbox and couldn't be happier. I definitely will be getting the next gen xbox when it arrives.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,573 posts
With convergence between Xbox live and WinPCs I'm just gonna go with a high-end gaming rig. They out-perform dedicated platforms by miles.
  • El Chalupacabra +1 this

Duke

Duke

Lord of the Binge

• Supporters
  • 4,566 posts
I´ll get one sooner or later. As soon as the first must-have game arrives to be precise. Waited til MGS4 for PS3 so MGS5, FFXV, Elder Scrolls, something like that.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 19,725 posts
I'm sure we'll be getting one since my husband is an unapologetic Sony fanboy. I kinda wish he'd get the next-gen Xbox, instead, though. I think the Kinect is genius, much better than the Move. Maybe I'll be impressed with the PS4.

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,562 posts
I need to wait and see what the new Xbox will offer. Too many rumors of no used games and must be online all the time (2 things I hate).

Plus I want to see which will offer the better other media options.
  • El Chalupacabra +1 this

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
I never felt the Ps3 ever reached a justifiable price point, so I doubt the 4 will be any better. Too bad, I have such fond memories of my PS2. I got a kid, wo I'm pretty much just a Wii house these days.
  • Rock +1 this

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,888 posts

With convergence between Xbox live and WinPCs I'm just gonna go with a high-end gaming rig. They out-perform dedicated platforms by miles.

Wait they are combining pc's with xbox? Wouldn't that lead to pc gamers squashing the consul counterparts?

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,547 posts
Plus, I just bought Vice City from the PSN 2 weeks ago! Still, I'm excited that they are improving on their products. I think we are pretty lucky it got as long a run as it did. Can you imagine buying a new console every 1 or 2 years? I got my PS3 like a few months after it came out and it lasted me a long time, until the yellow dot of death, but I think that might have been my fault. I think I accidently turned the thing on by bumping a remote button and might have been on for like 2 or 3 days straight. I noticed that the new one I got has a self-timer to shut itself off after 2 hours of inactivity...noticed that while watching LOTR for 3 hours.

Speaking of the slim one I bought, I was pretty pissed they made so many cuts from my old fat one. No SD card slot, reduction from 4 to 2 USB slots AND no backwards compat for PS2 games. Made me buy Vice City for the third time!

Another thing, they took the DLC content down from The Godfather, which i paid $40 for. So when I bought my new PS3, I can't re-download it. I called and they were like SORRY ABOUT YOUR BAD LUCK.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,547 posts

I never felt the Ps3 ever reached a justifiable price point,

Even at $250?

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• Supporters
  • 14,615 posts
i'm probably not going to get in any hurry to get a ps4. i just purchased a 250gig ps3 bundle pack with playstation all stars and the new ratchet and clank for $250. just getting back into the ps3 world. again. stupid divorces.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,888 posts

Plus, I just bought Vice City from the PSN 2 weeks ago! Still, I'm excited that they are improving on their products. I think we are pretty lucky it got as long a run as it did. Can you imagine buying a new console every 1 or 2 years? I got my PS3 like a few months after it came out and it lasted me a long time, until the yellow dot of death, but I think that might have been my fault. I think I accidently turned the thing on by bumping a remote button and might have been on for like 2 or 3 days straight. I noticed that the new one I got has a self-timer to shut itself off after 2 hours of inactivity...noticed that while watching LOTR for 3 hours.

Speaking of the slim one I bought, I was pretty pissed they made so many cuts from my old fat one. No SD card slot, reduction from 4 to 2 USB slots AND no backwards compat for PS2 games. Made me buy Vice City for the third time!

Another thing, they took the DLC content down from The Godfather, which i paid $40 for. So when I bought my new PS3, I can't re-download it. I called and they were like SORRY ABOUT YOUR BAD LUCK.

Wow, that sucks Rock. They should have sent you something to compensate for that. That's bull**** that you can't reaquire the dlc content.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 19,725 posts
Yeah, my husband wasn't a fan of the PS3 redesign either. He's mostly pissed about losing the PS2 game compatability. He actually managed to fix his old PS3 but then broke the clip for the Blu-Ray drive ribbon putting it back together. D'oh! So we could use it for online stuff, but no discs. Suck.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Members
  • 2,400 posts

I never felt the Ps3 ever reached a justifiable price point,

Even at $250?

I just don't game enough to pull the trigger on that. I got vice city on my iPad, that was one of the few reasons the ps2 is out in the garage...

I can only name a few games I really want to play that are out for the ps3, but they're likely on Xbox too. ( red dead, dead space, arkham city, mass effect, Resident Evil... uh... i cant think of any others. I don't have any loyalty, and again, I have a kid so I am mostly playing Lego and Mario games.
  • Rock +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,573 posts

Wait they are combining pc's with xbox? Wouldn't that lead to pc gamers squashing the consul counterparts?

I'm not sure how everything is shaking out yet with with Win8. I guess it's actually a speculative statement.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,215 posts
My son will be going off to college this fall and probably taking all his systems with him, leaving me with just my old NES console. I'm not yet prepared to bid farewell to gaming forever, so the idea of getting in on the ground floor of a new system is perfectly timed and actually a little tempting.

Budget permitting, anyway. That'll be the biggest obstacle.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,547 posts
To be honest, the primary reason I originally bought the PS3 was for the Blu-Ray player. At that time, the PS3 was the exact same price so it just made sense. Randy, not sure if you already have a BR player, but that might factor into your decision to buy a console.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,215 posts
We already have a separate Blu-ray player, but I won't be able to play FFXV on it. :(

(Assuming it's released before I become too slow and arthritic for gaming.)
  • Rock +1 this

Gamevet

Gamevet

• Members
  • 3,874 posts
I have a 360 and a PS3, they've served me well.

The PS4 appears to be using an AMD APU setup, with the performance being somewhat underwhelming compared to what the current consoles offered back when they were released. The 360 and PS3 offered GPUs that were considered top of the line for their time, while what the PS4 seems to be offering is pretty much a budget build PC. My current gaming PC could easily match the performance of what the PS4 is likely to offer, so I'd be more inclined to spend what a PS4 will likely cost, on a better GPU for my PC.

I'll probably get a PS4 a couple of years after its release, but that depends on the quality of 1st party exclusives the console will have available.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,547 posts
Posted Image

The remains of my fat PS3.

Gamevet

Gamevet

• Members
  • 3,874 posts
Were you trying to resolder the CPU Rock?

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,547 posts
No, trying to get my Batman: Arkham City game out!

Gamevet

Gamevet

• Members
  • 3,874 posts

No, trying to get my Batman: Arkham City game out!

There was an easier way to do that. You turn off the back power swich, hold down the eject button and turn the power back on. It goes into test mode.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,547 posts
Yeah, i tried that... didn't work at all. Tried for several hours before eventually grabbing the flathead and rubber mallet. I was so pissed at that point, i welcomed the chance to beat it up.

Reply to this topic