Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Chicago homicide rate higher than Afghanistan, >5,000 shot dead

what a shithole

57 replies to this topic

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*
  • Guests
http://www.huffingto..._n_1602692.html

This is a news story that's starting to finally gain some traction in the media. From the article:

"As Chicago residents face a murder rate that, thus far this year, is worse than U.S. troops in Afghanistan,...The Daily pointed out in a Friday column that more Chicago residents -- 228 -- have been killed so far this year in the city than the number of U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan - 144 -- over the same period. The war zone-like statistics are not new. As WBEZ reports, while some 2,000 U.S. troops have been killed in Afghanistan since 2001, more than 5,000 people have been killed by gun fire in Chicago during that time, based on Department of Defense and FBI data. Chicago's murder rate is also currently quadruple that of New York and double Los Angeles' rate."

People of Chicago- what the f-ck is wrong with your goddamn city? Jesus Christ, what a sh-thole. These are some freaking Africa numbers right here.

Anyone have any insight into the reasons? And I don't wanna hear any bullsh-t about the Blacks. NYC is 25% black, only 45% White, and we have NOT had 228 gunshot homicides this year. As the article points out, Chicago's murder rate is 4x that of NYC. And we have over 8 million freaking people to police.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 28,276 posts
How does this compare to Detriot? When I think ****hole, Detroit is the first place to pop into my head.

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*
  • Guests
Same here. I did a search on the FBI database, available here:

http://www.fbi.gov/a...linois-missouri

Last year, Chicago had 430 murders, Detroit had 344. However, Detroit is also less than half the size of Chicago, so the rate is probably significantly higher.

This year, Chicago (according to the article) already had 228, so it looks like they're on pace to hit at least 430 again.

Edited by Letsgo_7_7, 02 July 2012 - 11:12 AM.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
This is what happens when black people become the majority. Interesting you mention African numbers...

I know it will be brushed off because I'm the board "racist" but its the truth.
  • danger +1 this

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*
  • Guests
Chicago has a Black population of 36% (not the majority, you just made that up). source

As I mentioned, NYC is about 25%.

And yet, Chicago's murder rate is four times that of NYC, even though NYC is over four times as large.

Although one can probably safely assume most of the murders in Chicago are indeed committed by Blacks, there has to be a reason that they are committing murders in Chicago but not in NYC.
  • Ryn +1 this

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Sorry, majority was the wrong word. Chicago is a "black city." Even in Black Cities whites can be the majority, but they tend to live a life defined by the hooligans in ****ty parts of town whos actions influence the entire city. The sections of the city where Blacks are the majority, Englewood for example, are where these killings are taking place. It's the same even in white cities like Boston. In terms of violent crime it's one of the safest cities. Where are all the homicides and shootings? Black part of town.Chicago is a "black town" with a gang problem. Recently these gangs have been basically just doing whatever the **** they want- because in places like Chicago cracking down on this type of thing "be racisss." In cities like LA and NYC the cops have a good long tradition of monitoring Black people. I'm sure your Stop and Frisk policy doesn't hurt either. When the violence spikes like this it's usually boilerplate **** like the weather and territories being claimed or reclaimed. New York has a better track record because they stop every black male walking down the street - all the time. And it works.

Edited by bodega, 02 July 2012 - 02:44 PM.

Nanten Janubi

Nanten Janubi

• Members
  • 337 posts
We go hard in the paint.
  • Pong Messiah +1 this

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 19,701 posts
Chicago has a pretty serious gang problem. If Emmanuel were smart he'd go after them. I would guess at least 90% of those shootings are gang-related.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts

This is what happens when black people become the majority. Interesting you mention African numbers...

I know it will be brushed off because I'm the board "racist" but its the truth.

It's not your possible correctness based in evidence, it's your ignorant bigoted presentation that's racist.
  • George +1 this

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,111 posts

Anyone have any insight into the reasons?

Chicagoans aren't as well-armed and trained as the US military?
  • danger +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,420 posts
I agree with the people stating gang activity. I've also heard it blamed on the availability of guns in gun totting America.

Evolence

Evolence

• Members
  • 11,872 posts
I think someone brings up a very good point about Chicagoans not being trained as well as the US military. While the level of violence is certainly atrocious, it's a completely apples to oranges comparison. The US military wears body armor, travels in armored vehicles, etc. Your typical gangbanger Chicago thug does not. As the death rate in Chicago is comprised of a lot of "rival" gangs at war with each other, in order to effectively compare the death rate with that in Afghanistan, we need to know the total death rate among US soldiers AND their rival Taliban fighters. I think that you'd find this type of comparison not as "shocking."

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*
  • Guests
Bodega, I was going to say that while NYC's policies may have an effect, it can't possibly explain a 4x difference in crime to Chicago. However... I read this article this morning and it got me thinking.

http://news.yahoo.co...-050442831.html

"New York is "America's safest city by far," a place where tourists and residents can safely roam any neighborhood, even those traditionally considered dangerous, by day and most by night. ... Critics, though, charge that this has come at a precious cost - the civil liberties of hundreds of thousands who are stopped and searched each year. Police stops in New York City have climbed steadily to more than 685,000 last year from nearly 161,000 in 2003. Only 12 percent of those stopped were arrested or ticketed. More than 85 percent were black or Hispanic, while they make up 51 percent of the city's population.
A Reuters analysis of more than 3 million stops from 2006 through 2011 shows that by far the densest concentrations fell in areas of public housing, home to many of the city's poorest families and where 90 percent of residents are black or Hispanic."

"In some of the city's safest neighborhoods, police make dozens of stops each year. In the most stubborn pockets of crime and poverty, police make thousands. ...The controversy over stop-and-frisk is playing out in neighborhoods like Brownsville and a number of other high-crime public housing communities across the city's five boroughs, where dense clusters of red-brick public housing towers rise up across hundreds of acres. This isn't the same pleasantly untroubled New York that millions of tourists flock to see - the New York of Fifth Avenue museums and boutiques, of Times Square lights and Greenwich Village restaurants. ... Neither is it anything like the neighborhoods where New York's prosperous and middle class live. ... The policing contrasts are stark. In the 28-block heart of Brownsville, the stop rate was 572 per 1,000 residents last year. For young black men, the rate is far higher and can easily translate into several stops per year. Four miles away in upper-middle-class Park Slope, Brooklyn, police stopped people at a rate of 35 per 1,000 residents."

To be honest, I'm not sure this really bothers me that much. The city is much more pleasant than it was 20 years ago. And given that I live in a rich area, I don't have to deal with the police stops either.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,420 posts
I love how they're protesting this stuff in NYC though, Letsgo. I mean, it makes your city safer? That's what you want don't you if you live in a high crime area? It's like they want to have their cake and eat it too. Some little kid gets shot sitting on his steps or playing on a playground and then they're all wringing their hands and crying and wailing "Where were the Po-lice?" Cops don't like to answer those calls but what can a police department do to reign in crime in high crime areas? You act a'fool you get treated like a'fool.

I've also heard to go with the gang violence and stuff that it has to do with the trust of police in the area. Look at LA and Chicago and then look at NYC. The NYCPD has worked hard to have a certain reputation as tourism is huge for that city as well as for it's denizens to have a safer living area. Chicago has corrupt politicians to go with their police department and LA is still trying to get anything other than their old thug reputation.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
I posted about the LAPD history/tactics in the Rodney King thread and some of the changes implemented here that have allowed our murder rate to drop.

I have to say though, I can pinpoint the root of this problem, and many others-- it's not OMG BLACK PEOPLE, it's EDUCATION.

And I don't just mean the education system, though that's part of it. America is full of stupid people. Our public education system for children is passable at best, some areas obviously better than others, and every year higher education becomes more unattainable by the average person.

Plug your ears Amanda, cause I'm going to say that poor people deserve better. Yes, I know, i'm a hippie liberal for saying it, but other first world countries, like England, that make higher education easier to come by seem to have lower crime rates.

It's easy to be a lazy simpleton and point the finger at a minority. YES, in some quarters minorities are more likely to commit crime. Bodega has a point... But why? Can we muster half a brain cell to look at the root of the problem instead of just being a bigot and saying BLACK PEOPLE IZ DANGEROUS.

The civil rights movement is roughly 50 years out of it's win. That's a single generation at best. Before that America had racist power systems in place for a good 200 years. That can't be undone in a single generation.

Your average black kid, whose family has been poor for generations isn't likely to have anyone in his family singing the virtues of higher education. Their grandparents were likely part of a segregated society, or at the very least, a bigoted one.

It's easy to say anyone can be anything, and to say that black kid can do whatever he wants if he has the willpower, he could work hard, break the cycle get scholarship become a doctor, buy a Lexus and do just fine. It happens all the time, for sure-- but if you consider a lot of poor people are in a poor environment where such a thing isn't always encouraged because it's not their way, or the path to take isn't an obvious one. Sure this kid has the ability to choose any path in the modern world, but that doesn't mean he's been encouraged/taught/informed that he can do so.

I'm using a black kid as an example, but it works for poor idiot white trash too. I have a ton of redneck cousins that all had potential to do something with their lives, but chose to have kids and live in a trailer-- why? because it's what their parents did and they weren't encouraged to do better.

So if you reach adulthood, and you have minimal education, and no skills and nothing going for you, why wouldn't crime seem viable? All those cousins I mentioned? Most of them have done jail time for petty crimes-- usually theft because they wanted something they couldn't afford.

Go back to the inner city, and you have gangs offering the opportunity to score on top of protection and a sense of community that their city doesn't give them.

Chicago has always been crime ridden and as far as I know, and maybe this is due to their notoriously corrupt political machine, they've never had a major police reform like LA and NYC. Aside from Cabrini Green being torn down, I don't know that the city has ever had a major social reform that tried to bolster it's more poor communities.

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*
  • Guests
LOL, well this thread worked just as planned.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
So lack of education is the reason that you can't put two black males under the age of 25 together in a room without one of them shooting the other? Why don't poor whites endlessly slaughter each other in the streets? Yeah, for fifty years we've lived in a time of UNPRECIDENTED and ever growing aid for black people ALL around the world, and yet they not only fail but keep up these testosterone fueled turf wars that eat away that their communities and countries. Billions are spent to build them homes, feed them, and give them an "education." Then they destroy the places we give them to live, sell their food stamps for drug money and disregard their education and simply turn their schools into violent war zones. Why don't whites act out like this, even in their poorest areas? What makes blacks (and to a smaller extent Hispanics) so violent and willing to use lethal force for things as simple as a few pizzas, a pair of shoes, or a few dozen dollars. Look at Haiti, Africa, and "black cities" across America. When whites are forced out of power the place COLLAPSES into ruin, violence, and eventually irreparable decay. Why does this happen occasionally to other races but it's the norm for black society?

Edited by bodega, 04 July 2012 - 10:10 AM.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
Astounding.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
That you have no answer to that? No, typical. Keep making excuses.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 28,276 posts
I cannot even BEGIN to explain to you how much this hurts me....but bodega kinda has a point.

I don't know many of the statistics or whatnot, but what I can tell you from first-hand experience is that neighborhoods where the majority is black have the lowest property values in Houston. And for good reason. The houses are simply not taken care of. They're filthy and disgusting and torn apart and...ugh. The Hispanic sides of town are not like this. Even areas with poor white or Hispanics are not like this. You can be poor and not disgusting, but largely black areas don't seem to function that way.

Also, the majority of our customers who default on their mortgages are black. :shrug: I don't understand it. But it has GOT to be attributable to more than just their learnins. I'm not saying that education isn't a factor, but it's hardly the only reason or core reason.

And also, I know this doesn't apply to ALL black people. Obviously. But the poor ones who live in crime-ridden areas all seem to have the same issues.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• Moderators
  • 16,811 posts

I'm not saying that education isn't a factor, but it's hardly the only reason or core reason.

Culture is a more important factor than education and income.

If I had to make a list of all the most economically responsible people I've ever known, at least half of them would be immigrants with high school level (or less) educations.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts

No, I was referring to your racism and ignorance. I am not disputing some of your points, but your facts are minimal compared to your obvious prejudice. You have a point in there somewhere, but the vitriol and ignorance make it impossible to take seriously.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
It's not racist or ignorant to point out facts. It is ignorant and racist to not give a group of people credit and claim they "can't" do better because of roadblocks put in place by others. Didn't work on any of the other groups that were forced to come to this country, or the world at large. I don't see sixth or seventh generation Asian people walking around being willfully ignorant of social standards, causing crime and violence, making up their own ghetto creole language, or blaming white people because they were forced to build railroads and put into internment camps. "Omsk... Omskk... Omsk... lemme ax you. Can a ***** get sum chicken fried rice up in this mutha ****a? What you lookin at white boy?" Doesn't happen. Just admit that black people have little cultural and self awareness and that leads to half their problems, and I'll drop the whole discussion.
  • The Kurgan +1 this

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

There can be only one

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

I'm not saying that education isn't a factor, but it's hardly the only reason or core reason.

Culture is a more important factor than education and income.

If I had to make a list of all the most economically responsible people I've ever known, at least half of them would be immigrants with high school level (or less) educations.

I've known asian families that have flat out bought new cars out of savings. SAVINGS. Unheard of amongst white westerners. I wonder who's going to call racism here?

No, I was referring to your racism and ignorance. I am not disputing some of your points, but your facts are minimal compared to your obvious prejudice. You have a point in there somewhere, but the vitriol and ignorance make it impossible to take seriously.

Bodega's post sounded horrible, but it does raise issues that need, desperately, to be addressed. One of the reasons they're not addressed is this huge stigma associated with questioning cultural norms in black communities. Pointing out such things as Cerina and Bodega did are a far cry from cross burning lynch mobs. I've heard somewhere that more young african Americans are killed in ghetto gang warfare every two years then were killed by lynchings during the entirity of the Jim Crow era. These kinds of things fuel the fires of white racism. Ignoring them doesn't make them go away, stigmatizing anyone who raises them as being racist makes damn good and sure they won't go away. Despite the good intentions, I think progressive racial hysteria does, in its own way, hinder race relations and progress in the black communities as much as white racism itself does.
  • Karrit Moss +1 this

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
I'm not denying any of that-- I'm not making excuses or offering a solution, I'm simply theorizing as to why, and pointing the finger at history, not at race.

Bodega is saying JUST blacks, because they are black. That's prejudice, bigotry and racism. His dismissal of black people is his right, I just happen to think its a really crappy attitude to have, and one that if continued will just perpetuate the problem.

Reply to this topic