Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Obama’s ‘kill list’ is unchecked presidential power

7 replies to this topic

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,468 posts

By Katrina vanden Heuvel, Published: June 12The Washington Post

A stunning report in the New York Times depicted President Obama poring over the equivalent of terrorist baseball cards, deciding who on a “kill list” would be targeted for elimination by drone attack. The revelations — as well as those in Daniel Klaidman’s recent book — sparked public outrage and calls for congressional inquiry.

Source: Op Ed at Washington Post

So I have a Tea Party friend on facebook who wanted a liberals opinion on why people are not upset about this.

Some interesting points were brought up about LBJ choosing bombing targets and Truman and his choice of bombing Japan and letting politicians decide this.

Others think this is an abuse of presidential power.

I think it's just political rhetoric during an election year. At least Obama's not as pansy as Clinton and Carter were for a "liberal" president who pretty much held on to many of the Bush administration policies.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Obama's just using the long, greasy, electrified dildo fashioned by Rove & Co. I for one don't see the problem with taking out these ****ing dirt worshipers in drone attacks. It's not like any good old fashioned American white people are getting hit.
  • Obsidian and Good God a Bear +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,468 posts
Maybe it's just demonizing the liberals some more because you know Democrats are the reason the economy went South, VOTE FOR ROMNEY vibe and not Obama. But really, I think every president has had to face this in some way. Some shirked it like Carter but I bet there were some he wanted to see sit in a corner. I don't really even see why a liberal should be getting upset about it. True blue GOP people that the Tea Party doesn't even really begin to understand like this about the President because it keeps bomb making and drone-ing going which is always good for the military industrial complex.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,275 posts
I'm reminded of the terrorist playing cards the right-wingers were so in love with. I didn't hear an uproar from the right then. I suspect that, had this occurred during the Bush administration, the Teabaggers and right wing pundits would be masturbating over the list. But, because Obama does it, suddenly it's unconscionable.

Meanwhile, liberals would be foaming at the mouth had Bush done this. As usual, it's only wrong when the OTHER side does it.
  • Pong Messiah and The Kurgan +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,468 posts
I brought that up on the facebook page. This was my answer: That was sanctioned by Congress and the Pentagon and the Justice Dept. Obama's just choosing people to kill!

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• Moderators
  • 16,851 posts

As usual, it's only wrong when the OTHER side does it.

So true.

I just love how the right-wing radio clowns are suddenly super concerned about how we can't lose civil liberties just because we're afraid of terrorists, how we need to be terrified of unchecked presidential power, etc...

What a sick joke.

:eek:
  • Ryn, Obsidian, El Chalupacabra and 1 other +1 this

George

George

Filed and monitored

• Members
  • 18,023 posts

Meanwhile, liberals would be foaming at the mouth had Bush done this.

Bush did do this. I never had a problem with his "kill deck". what i had a problem with was inventing war justifications, telling the CIA that he only wanted supporting "evidence", and anal raping our economy. Obama has been only marginally better.

What i don't like about Obama's "kill list"™ is that the administration's method for reducing civilian casualties around these drone strikes is to redefine any combat age male in the neighborhood of the strike as a military combatant. if Bush had done this and sent a hit squad into Pakistan to take out Bin ****ing Ladin in that whole huge gamble, Republicans would be jizzing all over each other.

Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert, and MSNBC has started to turn on Obama, but for the most part all the spectators are still sitting around rooting for their team, and I don't think that will ever end. I am getting as bitter about the situation as Shadowdog was back in 2008 telling me that politicians will act like politicians. He was right.

I still think Obama was a better choice than McCain or Romney, but I don't think Mixed Bag Obama has done enough to get me to go out of my way to support him.

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• Supporters
  • 17,830 posts
Oh, how long could the list be? Just Rush Limbaugh and that grandmother in Kenya who keeps telling everyone he was born there!
  • NumberSix and Ms. Spam +1 this

Reply to this topic