Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NRE: Prometheus

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,586 posts
Posted Image

Prometheus

Posted Image

Nightly Rating: 83.4%
Total Reviews: 8

Posted Image

----

Post your rating on a scale from 10% to 100% and a very short review. I'll try my best to update the current rating as often as possible.

For Reference only:
100% - 90% = A
89% - 80% = B
79% - 70% = C
69% - 65% = D
64% - 10% = F

Edited by Rock, 10 June 2012 - 06:33 AM.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,330 posts
80% I'll write a review later, but it was a'ight. The effects were amazing.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• Moderators
  • 27,178 posts
I liked pretty much everything about this movie. Things I would have done differently? Maybe some, but why should I mark points off for something not being the way I would have done it if I don't particularly dislike how it actually was done? That said, I'm not going to pretend to know more about movies than I do by being all uppity and deducting single random points. I'm giving this a 100%. Sue me.

It didn't feel formulaic to me. I never felt like something wasn't explained well enough to me or that I needed to see more in order to understand something. Instead of turning my nose up to the lack of suspense compared to 1979's Alien, I welcomed the fact that it was something different. I really liked the Engineers, and what I perceived to be their self righteousness. When they saw David, a non-organic copy of a human being standing there, look what one of them did. When they saw how humans turned out (more specifically, their choice of what to worship...or no longer worship), look at all the DNA-altering black sludge they packed in their cargo hold. Sorry if that feels like itisn't vague enough, but I am really trying to explain why I liked this without spoiling it.

Direct tie-in to the Alien franchise? Yes and no. Not right in front of your face like 2+2=4, but it gives you some puzzle pieces and shapes them just enough to allow you to see what they come together to create without actually fitting them together for you. It's the kind of vague reference that I was hoping for, with cool nods that did not compromise the individual identity of this movie. It's not just a set-up or a prequel, but it definitely expands upon an already existing universe.

If you're one of these high and mighty people that can't go see a movie without rolling your eyes at the sight of an American flag or a mention of politics or religion because of the fact that it might clash with your own set of beliefs, well...PLEASE check that crap at the door. There is something of a little religious tidbit here and there, subtle if you're a mindless pop culture zombie going to see a movie that has been heavily advertised - but interestingly used if you can allow yourself to enjoy it without being offended at the mere presence of religion within the plot. One of the two main characters does not let go of their faith, and things happen to go above average for that character compared to everyone else. This also relates back to my comments on the Engineers, relating to them in a way that I found clever. One of the things I haven't seen a lot of people touch on: "The search for our beginning could lead to our end." An end that apparently could have happened in the past, and for some reason did not? How did we get so lucky? Possibly explained by the belief of one of the main characters who contends that nothing they've discovered has any implications on their own religious views, while others feel differently about it.

I could go on a lot longer about this movie, but it's hard to do so without being more specific. I really enjoyed it, and I feel many others would too. My advice is to not be too nitpicky by comparing this too much to the Alien movies. Think of it being more like what Halo ODST was to the Halo franchise, or maybe Red Dragon to The Silence of the Lambs - same "universe," but not the same story. Good enough to stand on its own and have its own plot all for itself, but enough there that you can easily see how it is connected to the others.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Grand Master Whango Mittphool

• Members
  • 33,125 posts
There were some big problems with this movie, to be sure, mainly the HUGE leaps of logic the script takes.

RE: one specific point of the film that I'm sure ever woman will remember for the rest of their lives -

Spoiler

DESPITE all that, I was pretty much enthralled during this entire movie. I tend to fidget a lot, and I realized halfway through that I had barely moved. I loved the ideas and the visuals and I wish there were more sci-fi movies like this. I just wish the script was a little tighter. I'll give it an 80%.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,330 posts
To be fair, David's a dick.

My father asked the same question, how could she still be moving around after that? I chalk it up to suvivor's instinct and a will to live. Most mofos would have just curled up and lay there to die behind all that. But one in a thousand have a will to live that's so strong, they push on. Look at that mofo who CUT OFF HIS OWN HAND then still made his way down the mountain. That, friends, is a will to ****ing live. And this babe had that.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
I find Exodus being super defensive against future comments being followed by Maras nitpickiness to be amusing considering ever post on the star wars board ever.

RelentlessMalice

RelentlessMalice

• Members
  • 798 posts
Thanks for taking my review down! :confused:

Justus

Justus

• Members
  • 12,408 posts
Caught it yesterday, and well.......well......

More about the fiim later.

Justus

Justus

• Members
  • 12,408 posts
Oh, in what is a personal shock, I agree with a lot of Exodus' review.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
87. i liked the movie, but it just felt like an 80, to me.

spoilers, duh.
people in movies don't know how to run sideways. this bugs me. also i can't find a reason why elizabeth never brought up the abortion to anyone...and bc they might kill her due to contagion isn't good enough. the acting in the two videos with young peter and the other one about david were about 500 times better than that in the movie...NOT to say the acting in the movie was bad BUT wtf, why? what happened to nerd dude? did he birth an alien? then the two dudes that stayed with the captain and said he needed all the help he could get...yeah, it didn't look that way...they could have survived. also, how did tall white alien know elizabeth was in the extra ship? why did he come after her? what were all the other ships on the planet for? why were they there? it was cost effective to leave them behind? the visuals were very well done, but not bonerific like i keep hearing.

charlize theron in one piece uniform: 100. oh man, that ass. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

edit: changed score from 80 to 87 bc it did have a lot of cool **** in it.

Edited by danger, 09 June 2012 - 03:43 PM.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
also, the trailer showed way too much.
  • Ryn +1 this

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• Moderators
  • 27,178 posts
I felt the need to be somewhat defensive because I feel misunderstanding viewers will hate this for not being xenomorph central. That's like people hating wrestling because its not real.

...which it was never intended to be.

That and I feel the word religion offends people and their beliefs way too much...when watching a MOVIE.

That is all :)

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• Moderators
  • 16,936 posts
87%

To save space and avoid redundancy, you can read my breakdown here.

:eek:

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,243 posts
84%.

Looks fantastic in 3-D, sounds even fantasticker coming from IMAX speakers, but it didn't quite connect everything well enough without obvious signs pointing to, "Please hold all questions until after the next two prequels." I don't mind unrequited mysteries and secrets if the characters carry me along well enough, but that wasn't the case here for me. Much of the cast needed more time for fleshing out beyond a single dimension, especially angry-greedy mohawk geologist, nerdy biologist, gambling pilots, Dr. Shaw's main squeeze, and anyone made out of effects.

My father asked the same question, how could she still be moving around after that? I chalk it up to suvivor's instinct and a will to live. Most mofos would have just curled up and lay there to die behind all that. But one in a thousand have a will to live that's so strong, they push on. Look at that mofo who CUT OFF HIS OWN HAND then still made his way down the mountain. That, friends, is a will to ****ing live. And this babe had that.

...plus, by my count, at least three shots of Space Epidural-in-a-Can.

Lord Sane

Lord Sane

• Members
  • 445 posts
Can we stop creating and pinning new threads for ones that have already been started? I hope I'm not the only one that finds this annoying... and I've been part of this message board for a long time. Woohooo if i get kicked for saying this!!!!

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,882 posts
90%

When the lights came up, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I knew I just watched something impressive, I just wasn't sure on my final verdict?!?
I sat in my seat thinking about it...
I got up and walked out with my friends, obviously, still reflecting and thinking about it...
An hour, went by, I was still thinking about it...
A few hours went by, lying in bed, and I was STILL thinking about it...
I woke up the next day (today), and I'm STILL thinking about it!

I cannot wait to see this again...

Certainly more art than flash. Easily the most gorgeously shot film I’ve seen in recent memory. Although there is enough razzle and dazzle to satisfy the immediate movie theater experience (Alien) side of me, the ambiguous/unanswered questions (Blade Runner) are prompting further intrigue, viewings, and discussion.

I cannot wait to see this again...

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,330 posts

Can we stop creating and pinning new threads for ones that have already been started? I hope I'm not the only one that finds this annoying... and I've been part of this message board for a long time. Woohooo if i get kicked for saying this!!!!

This thread has the specific purpose of rating the movie. So if mofos want to rate and talk about a movie without having to sift through 26 pages of BS speculation and crappy spoilery set pics that took place the 10 years prior to its release, they can come here and do that.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts
75%

Spoiler

Edited by Ixion, 10 June 2012 - 06:12 AM.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,586 posts

Can we stop creating and pinning new threads for ones that have already been started?

No.
  • Copper +1 this

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
spoilers, duh:
what would be a better sequel, one that has a new crew going back to this same planet, or staying with shaw and david as they head to the real home planet?

Justus

Justus

• Members
  • 12,408 posts
Prometheus.

The Pros:
  • Visually appealing film in most areas, with a convincing otherworldy feel.
  • Nice link between the art direction of the original Alien and this film.
  • Shaw embracing her faith when others around her (her d*ck of a boyfriend/colleague, robo-David, et al) mocked or questioned it for no other reason than to break her (implied).
  • Shaw was a strong, interesting female without the need to turn her into a would-be badass more of a comment on real world social politics than being a character serving the story.
The Cons:
Spoiler

Unfortunately, the film has little reason to be, and if Scott would argue against those who say the very nature of prequels makes it pointless, well, what are we getting out of this film? Aside from the Shaw character's interesting journey of faith, the film just tosses out a fragment of an idea, and hopes the mystique of Alien '79 will carry interest along. Finally, with Shaw
Spoiler
i'm guessing that was the bait for non-xenomorph sequels, since the original Alien concept has been beaten into the ground. Good luck with that.

70% --and that's for that single character point, and the pretty visuals.

Edited by Justus, 10 June 2012 - 12:50 PM.

Brett

Brett

person

• Members
  • 1,750 posts
my thoughts are in the other thread.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,535 posts

I find this stance highly ironic coming from the guy who didn't think Molly Weasley could kill Bellatrix :p

*goes back to reading thread* More comments later!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,330 posts
Hey, if JK Rowling wanted us to buy that rotting pile of stanking horse ****, she should have either built up Molly more or Bella less.
  • Lucas1138 +1 this

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,535 posts
Going in, I had only seen the first trailer and some of the tv spots, but I tried to avoid those when possible. In fact, I had only seen Alien/s a few months ago when I started getting really hype about this movie.

Visually it pretty much rocked, as everyone has stated. I did think there were quite a few logical leaps the film required you to make, but I'm okay with that, they didn't offend me.

Whoever it was that said there was some letdown with the Engineer and everyone in the bridge and he just starts indiscriminately killing- I agree.

Ultimately, I'd give it an 85%, subject to change upon subsequent viewings.