Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How does your garden grow?

gardening vegetables fruits flowers

139 replies to this topic

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,237 posts
The purple blooms and thick vine is a Chinese Wisteria, the leaves on the left are an evergreen clematis-snowdrift armandii. We have about a dozen of the clematis along all the fence lines. We lost a few in the past 2 winters. This spring, those that weathered them are growing thick.

I had originally thought I could train that Wisteria to form a sort of roof over the carport, but it's 16 feet and with nothing to support the vines, they sagged too much, so I had to do a serious haircut and re-alignment a few years back.

The Boys thank you for admiring their beauty. THEY think they're beautiful, too. I have to get a good shot of Roy just before we come in for the evening. He acts like a dog outside, rolling in whatever smells and looks the worst. Yesterday, he looked like he'd been under a bed for a year.

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

Infinity welcomes careful drivers.

• Members
  • 20,473 posts
The way those vines are growing, you'll have to be removing some fence boards soon!

I wish I could have cats. There is a very strict no-pets policy where I live. :(

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,237 posts
Yeah, not looking forward to that. They say Wisteria are like bamboo around here-you're risking your foundations by growing them with no barrier. I was just cleaning up around a stand of black bamboo we have in a barrier-the heaviest we could buy, steel-reinforced, and it jumps the damn thing every year. If we don't take a chainsaw to it soon, it'll be totally unmanageable.

I couldn't live w/o kitties. I had a tough time finding a place in Seattle after my first divorce because of no pet policies.

The Cattle are all outside right now, enjoying the lovely weather.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,265 posts
Jesus is so so cute in that pic, monkey.

Also. I planted two dahlia bulbs from HOLLAND and they are coming up! One will be purple and the other white. The blooms are supposed to get as big as ten inches across! THAT'S BIGGER THAN MY FACE!

The cuc's officially died except for one that seems totally fine. Everything else is doing really well. One of my co-workers found me a sweet orange baby tomato which I am so happy about. It went in the ground friday. It was looking really sad (we had high eighties temps the last few days) but this morning it is looking much recovered. I've been watering the heck out of it. yay.

Also, I power-washed the deck today so it will be clean for my combo mother's day-my birthday party today. Yaya!

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,237 posts
thx, Ayeprull. He loves all the expensive grasses. pics of your day after it's done? You shoulda seen him with Ming yesterday-it was like he was trying to rub her leg skin off.

bodega, I'll try and find a shot of my areas in January. I don't judge.

Today, tension is in the air. We have a full day outside ahead, then his mother's at 5 for a cookout. I don't really want to do much out there today-I want the manicure to hold up for Mother's Day festivities. A nice excuse to sit still, but I find that really difficult.

I'm taking the camera outside-things have really grown in just days with this sun! It' supposed to last until Wednesday. I LOVE this so very much.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Plantz in tha ground ya'll
  • Copper +1 this

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,237 posts
This year's mega-basket

Posted Image

Black bamboo haircut, with another Desdemona ligularia on the left

Posted Image

white blooming clematis, some black mondo grass and the banana.

Posted Image

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,539 posts
OOO. That's nice Tami! I can't wait to see more pictures. I have limited space. My tomato plant from last year is still going. Just cut back some jasmine because it chokes everything out.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,265 posts
that clematis is GORGEOUS!

totally fed the roses today. I never fertilize so I hope I did it right!

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,237 posts
Look how quickly things are popping up!

Posted Image

Creeping Jenny is creeping on the carport side of the fence

Posted Image

Honeysuckle on the bottom, evergreen clematis on top-this is on the carport as you walk into the back yard.
Posted Image

Close-up of fence alteration for the Wisteria
Posted Image

The shade garden, north of the front porch. ALL that Bishops Weed has to come out :(
Posted Image

Posted Image

Pigboy's garden
Posted Image

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,237 posts
I just got home from the nursery, where I spent almost all of a gift card my parents gave us for Christmas.

I got apricot and crimson tuberous begonias for $3 each (!!) a Blue mammoth hosta-my first blue hosta evar! I got another one I can't recall the name of-it's medium size-medium green sword shaped foliage with crimson stems and throats (!!!) and I got a plant to put between a crimson-bark Japanese maple and a smoke bush in the front. It's one of those spots that's killed 3 different types of shrubs (nandina, mock orange and a rhody) and has been conspicuously empty for 2 years. if THIS thing doesn't work, it's getting statuary.

NOW, I need someone to install it all for me. I don't feel like doing that part.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,265 posts
haha, I totally get that. After I go to the nursery and return home I look at my swag and groan, "why did I buy so MUCH!"

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

• Members
  • 20,473 posts
I'm SO disappointed. EVERYTHING that I planted is being eaten by bugs! I don't even know what they are because I never see anything when I examine the leaves. Actually, the tomato plants have escaped, but it's only a matter of time before something finds them, too. Even the mystery sprouts in my compost bin, which were doing so well, are almost completely gone. I don't want to use chemical pesticides on stuff I plan to eat. I'm going to make a homemade pesticide, where you boil onions, garlic, and jalapenos or other hot peppers (for the capsaicin), then add some vegetable-based dish soap. It's supposed to kill and deter most bugs. I doubt it will work at this point, though. May end up with Ortho or something, anyway.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 28,325 posts
Hey guys, how the hell do I keep this thing from filling up with weeds?

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,237 posts
MULCH is your new best friend. You can rarely have too much mulch. You CAN have too much with some bushes and trees-ask your local nursery or college extension.

Mulch can be bark, rubber, twigs or shells-it's personal preference and local issues-shells looks pretty here but can get moss embedded in them easily.

You'll still have to pull weeds but much fewer and they come up weaker so they're eventually quick and easy to manage.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,265 posts
my mom planted her garden three weeks after I did and yet her plants are way huge and mine are still little. She had really good soil so I guess that's why. I amended my soil with three bags of really healthy organic soil and I've fertilized but I guess the clay that I have out here just isn't ideal for veggies. At least my tomatoes are doing well.

And yeah. Mulch.

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,237 posts
raised beds for the veggies?

I'm on a thankless project now. The shade garden off the front porch but in view of the backyard desperately needs an almost total re-do. I've done 2 major, massive soil turnings and amendments but it's still infested with 3 different weeds and one that should be a weed. That soil instantly turns to clay no matter what I do, which makes cleaning it worse. I'm 2/3 done so I really want it finished, but we've had bad weather roll in and the forecast says this might be our only sunny day for awhile,so I"ma sit in the sun and poke at the pixies instead.

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

• Members
  • 20,473 posts
The soil here is just awful, too. Amending it with anything simply doesn't matter--it turns to brick-hard clay no matter what, so that the roots of your plants can't go anywhere. Of course, native weeds and grasses do just fine in it, but anything you WANT to grow simply refuses. You have to completely remove the native soil and replace it with good compost, potting soil, etc. and/or make raised beds. I will definitely do better next year!

I planted some more beans--purple, yellow, and green--and they are coming up nicely in a small tub. I have to transplant them to big pots now. Made some natural pesticide by steeping onions, garlic, and hot peppers in boiled water and am testing it to see if it actually works. Found out that it's earwigs that are eating my plants! They mostly eat rotting vegetation, which is fine in the compost bin, but not so much on your tender young plants. They can be lured away from your plants by the same beer-in-a-saucer trick that kills slugs and snails, however, so I'll be doing that this evening. One guy, whom I saw on a YouTube video, uses olive oil in traps between his pumpkin plants. It works so well that they go for the oil instead of his plants. Kinda pricey, though, so I'm using cheap beer. I don't normally step on bugs, but when I saw an earwig on the porch this morning, I was all HULK SMASH!

I have marble-sized tomatoes on both of my tomato plants now! Took pictures and will post them here.

OH! And I have a teeny praying mantis living in one of my mixed-flower pots! I came home one windy day to find the pot on the ground (it had been perched on my porch rail) so I picked it up and set it on the porch. I was watering it when I noticed a slight movement that turned out to be the tiniest mantis I have ever seen. It's only about 1/2 an inch long, and bright green. I haven't seen it since, but I really hope it is still there. It's just the cutest buggy thing ever!

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 19,729 posts
My front yard is pretty much completely moss with some grass that hasn't been overwhelmed yet. The clematis is half-dead, the dog has killed the tulips, and the roses we planted last year never did anything.

But one of my foxgloves grew! I thought it was a weed. Good thing I didn't pull it.

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

• Members
  • 20,473 posts
Here are pics of my tomato plants. I am so hoping the bugs do not get to the fruit before I do. :>/

Attached Thumbnails

• tiny tomato.JPG
  • tiny tomatoes.JPG

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,539 posts
Or birds. Birds like tomatos!

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

• Members
  • 20,473 posts
Damn, that's right. Well, I'm going out today to buy some fine mesh netting to put over my tomaters, to keep flying critters off them!

Lace Mindu

Lace Mindu

Has a hovercraft full of eels.

• Members
  • 5,534 posts
Chalc - praying mantis are good, they eat bad bugs. Good plan on killing the earwigs. My problem with my beans, lettuce, chard etc getting eaten was slugs, but I have some Escar-Go pellets (okay to use on food kind) I sprinkled out 2 days ago and it appears the destruction has stopped, yay!

Destiny -- roses won't do much for three years. For most perrenials, it's Sleep - Creep - Leap (first year they do nothing but put down roots, no top growth. 2nd year a little top growth but busy putting down roots -- then year three they take off). Roses and hydrangea are on more of a 5-year plan. So don't expect much from them yet!

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 28,325 posts
Something is happening in my front bed. My hydrangea looks like it's trying to die, and half of my annuals just up and turned brown on me. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON! Also, everybody seems to be harvesting squash right now but us. :( Why my squash no make squash?

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,237 posts
I'm guessing lack of water? Can you post pics?

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gardening, vegetables, fruits, flowers