Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How does your garden grow?

gardening vegetables fruits flowers

139 replies to this topic

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,445 posts

MG - I have a whole circular bed in the back that I am trying to grow moss in and it WON'T WORK. I think moss knows when you want it to grow, so it just refuses...although I hear they are very particular about Ph values, which I never check. But I keep hauling tons of different kinds home from my brother's woods and so far...nada. Phooey. The only moss that's growing anywhere is either on my bricks where I don't want it, or in my vegetable garden.

Oh, this is so true! Try just keeping your bed damp ALL the time. Cripes, I have moss growing on vertical surfaces with Southern exposure. :(

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Hopefully this is a pic of my space. You can see the rosemary and sage in the back and the chives and oregano on the left. My tomatoes and peppers will go in the corner to the right. Whore neighbor gets the space left of the sage.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Now...

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Now...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20120430_162542.jpg

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,327 posts
The David Austen rose I bought at a nursery a few months ago is beginning to bloom! I'm SO EXCITED! it's so pretty!

Posted Image
david austen rose by aprilsaur, on Flickr

also aren't these little flowers adorable? I don't know what it's called because my niece gave it to me without a tag.

Posted Image
pink pom by aprilsaur, on Flickr

in other news, two of my cucumber plants are droopy. I have watered every day and they're getting plenty of sunlight (not too hot either) and I don't know what's wrong with them. :(

Lace Mindu

Lace Mindu

Has a hovercraft full of eels.

• Members
  • 5,534 posts
Pink pom is an English Daisy, I think. Or at least it looks like it from my phone.

Also, cucumbers can be finicky to transplant. They react strongly to root or stem damage and can sometimes get viruses or mildews or eaten by stuff, like things that suck fluid out of the stem. Also, there's a type of moth called a squash vine borer that likes to lay microscopic (almost) eggs on the stem, and then the babies hatch and bore into the stem and eat from the inside out, killing the plant. Could be one of those getting an early start. Fortunately, plants are cheap. I've even had cutworms mow them down in the middle of the night, and this year a frost got to some. But oh man, are fresh garden cukes yummy.. I can't wait! Good luck!

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

Infinity welcomes careful drivers.

• Members
  • 20,474 posts

MG - I have a whole circular bed in the back that I am trying to grow moss in and it WON'T WORK. I think moss knows when you want it to grow, so it just refuses...although I hear they are very particular about Ph values, which I never check. But I keep hauling tons of different kinds home from my brother's woods and so far...nada. Phooey. The only moss that's growing anywhere is either on my bricks where I don't want it, or in my vegetable garden.

Oh, this is so true! Try just keeping your bed damp ALL the time. Cripes, I have moss growing on vertical surfaces with Southern exposure. :(

I remember reading about how to make moss grow where you want it. You pick some from the woods or wherever, mix it in a blender with milk, and then paint it onto a rock wall, brick pathway, etc. The milk provides nutrients for the moss, I guess? Something like that, anyway. It was a long time ago that I read that, and I never tried it.

April, did you plant your herbs in a log? It looks really cool!

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,445 posts
yeah, supposedly that works with buttermilk.

Talking of trying to grow moss makes my head hurt. It's such a pain in the ass here. It's slimy and eats away at concrete and grows everywhere but where you want it to.

I'll take some pics this weekend if it evar stops ****ing raining of all the crap I'm going to have to hose the moss off of....fences, foundations, poles, the hot tub, the carport wall, the garbage cans, all my outdoor pots, the porch, the porch furniture, what's left of the lawn, the trellises....

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,716 posts
I have never been successful with Gerber daisies but I have two blooms right now. I am so excited about this.

Tonight I'm going to be a slug killer. Beer for all slugs. The ate my frickin' tulips.

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,445 posts
EVERYTHING that's leafing now in my gardens looks like lace-slugs are big here, too.

I cannot grow Gerberas. I can't grow basil, either but I've killed bamboo without even trying.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,716 posts
I got twenty dead slugs!

Cashmere

Cashmere

puppy mama

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 6,753 posts
What a way to go... drowning in beer isn't the worst way I can think of to die.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,327 posts
chalce- yup, that's an old hollowed out log! I'm going to haul a bunch of rocks up from the creek to make walls for the left hand side so I can extend it and plant more. The log was there when I moved in and full of dead leaves and weeds. I just cleaned it out and poured tons of potting soil mixed with compost in there and voila!

I have a ton of little seedlings popping up in my garden. Today I am going to plant purple tomatillo seeds and pumpkin seeds in the front planter because it gets more sun there. We'll see if they grow!

Iceheart

Iceheart

your argument is invalid

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 19,209 posts
I've decided to plant catnip this year. It tends to get destroyed before it goes to seed around here, so we do catnip once every few years or so.

This should be fun.

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,445 posts
I tried that. ONCE. I have enough kitties in my yard as it is.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Getting exciting now. I took off work on the 15th to get my plants in the ground. Also gonna get some bait traps for the coons and opossums. Me and the woman are going to get a lot of tanning practice this summer. Might end up with a skunk cap or something.

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

• Members
  • 20,474 posts
SOMETHING IS EATING MY BEAN PLANTS! :angry: Dammit, they're only about six inches tall, and already I have pests?? I don't know what's doing it, because I didn't see any bugs or eggs on them when I examined the leaves. Now I have to figure out eating my bean leaves, AND figure out an organic way to kill or discourage the little ****ers, because I don't want poisons on any veggies that I'm going to be eating someday.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Is it bugs or a small animal?

Edited by bodega, 07 May 2012 - 06:00 PM.

Lace Mindu

Lace Mindu

Has a hovercraft full of eels.

• Members
  • 5,534 posts
Chalc - I have the same problem some years, there's just lots of things that find bean seedlings delicious. Try puting out a deep saucer of beer and see if you get any slugs. If not, if you have any old nylon stockings, cut off the ends at about the shin and slip those over the seedlings for a few days (tie loosely around the bottom and check daily to make sure they're not restricting growth) and see if that keeps the pests off. If no nylons, try just covering them with a light towel or sheet at night (if that's when the damage is occuring).

Depending on what kind of bug it is and if you can see it during the day, you can also try something called insecticidal soap. It's a soap so it's not poison, gets washed away by water and can be used on edibles. But it's a really acidic (or is it alkaline?) soap and so it burns through any bug skin that's not encased in a hard shell and kills'em...if you can spray it on them. My damage seems to occur only at night, which makes the soap difficult to use.

Also, there's a slug bait made out of iron oxide or something you an buy. It's not dangerous to kids/humans/veggies so long as you don't dump a whole box on anything...but slugs can't process it and they crawl away and die. It goes by various names including Escar-Go. :)

Anyway, garden looks awesome. Planted some bizarre asian melon seeds yesterday, we'll see if they grow. And waiting for the beans to come up. It's been a week so will hopefully be soon!

And OMG...the roses. Literally hundreds of blooms. I'm already planning a rose party for when they come out, it should be quite a sight! Also, I have Iris the size of a baby's head. It's one freaky year - and I'm loving every second.

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

• Members
  • 20,474 posts

Is it bugs or a small animal?

Definitely bugs. There are holes in the leaves, and the plants are turning yellowish. It's either something microscopic, or it comes out only at night, because I don't see anything on them when I check. I've got spiders all over the damn place, why the hell don't they catch anything on my plants?? :angry:

Lace, do you know if peppermint spray would deter insects? Or maybe a peppermint soap? I've read the beer method before and will try it and see if it attracts any slugs. I'm checking out insecticidal soaps on Amazon. There are so many kinds!

superorange

superorange

• Members
  • 5 posts
I've been trying to grow plants from seed this year. They started out great, but now they are slowly dying. They didn't even make the transplanting stage. My peppers are turning out great though.

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

• Members
  • 20,474 posts
Yeah, the flowers that I started from seed didn't make it. They got really spindly and then died, probably because they didn't have enough light, as they were in my house during the first couple weeks. The bean sprouts did well, though, until something buggy and evil go to them. :angry: I might have to purchase some Gro-Lights for starting seeds next spring.

I've got sprouts galore in my compost bin! I think they might be zucchinis. It's getting so crowded in there that I'm going to thin them out and transplant some to a bucket to give to my best friend!

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,445 posts
K, I'ma try to post pics of my moss and the Boys.

eastern exposure moss:
Posted Image

southern AND eastern exposure moss:
Posted Image

western and direct exposure moss:
Posted Image

TREACHEROUS WALKWAY MOSS;
Posted Image

The tropical garden this year:

Posted Image

The big leaves are ligularia-the one at the top is Desdemona, the other 2 are Bottle Rocket, Sunrise New Zealand flax grass in the container, crocosmia (Lucifer), lily (Cancun) nad black mondo grass in front. The wide, open space is where all my cannas are/were/died?

Roy in repose:

Posted Image

Jesús eating sedge:

Posted Image

pigboy's garden:
Posted Image
  • Ms. Spam +1 this

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
You guys have PRETTY gardens. I'm self conscious cuz it's all cold and rainy here still and I can't plant yet. :( Plus Mine's a "Jersey Garden", just ****in' sauce ingredients aright??? But my girl has some interesting medicinal herbs that she says will take over the nazi neighbor lady's side of the garden...

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

• Members
  • 20,474 posts
What's that vine growing out of your fence, MG? Your cats are beautiful!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gardening, vegetables, fruits, flowers