Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

moonrise kingdom

wes anderson

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8wkVA4_8s

found a great analysis by a fan on imdb:

The Characters:
Sam and Suzy-I think we’re all excited to see kids front and center this time around. I think this is Wes’s vision of a perfect youthful adventure, and it’s a completely different direction from his usual bitter, burnt out old rich people storyline.

Edward Norton/The Scoutmaster-I think it’s obvious this was written for Owen Wilson, who didn’t end up doing it. Ed Norton is acceptable, but expect nothing new here.

Frances McDormad and Bill Murray-Oh my god. Frances McDormad as the megaphone wielding mom is going to steal the show, and is a nice addition/compliment to the usual Anderson crew. All his female characters up until now have been the model of control as opposed to all the insecure males around them. Frances throws some crazy into the mix. Pared with Bill Murray as her shoe throw, axe wielding drunkard husband, they could possibly be the best Anderson couple to date.

Bruce Willis/The Sherriff
Willis makes a solid addition to the cast and The Sherriff appears to be one of Wes’ standard burnt out old men, al la Brain Cox in Rushmore.

Tilda Swinton and Jason Schwartzman
I worried these characters will be extraneous. I’m disappointed with the whole lightening/nurse thing appearing in the trailer, it gives too much away. On an aesthetic note, I’d rather see Tilda as a sensual character, perhaps someone to tempt Ed Norton’s scoutmaster away from the Olive Oil-esque girl he appears with in the trailer. Schwartzman appears to be an a$$h0l3 - my bets are on a bullying older brother character.

The Setting/Aesthetic-
I think that it’s about time Wes finally set a movie in the 50s, since that’s essentially when all his others are set anyway. I also think that moving it away from the city is an interesting move. Wes has always had a infatuation with the natural world-but the natural world as seen from a distance. He also touches on the idea of people getting back to their animal nature-I hope that comes out even more with it being set in nature. I expect an animal to appear at the end to threaten and amaze the characters as in Life Aquatic, Darjeeling and Mr. Fox.

But then there’s the church thing too. I’m interested in this because he’s only touched on religion once, with Angelica Huston as the mother who ran away to be a nun in Darjeeling Limited. I wonder if this theme comes from Roman Coppola. The camp appears to be a Christian camp and it seems all the characters will take refuge in a church following the lightening strike. There’s also that shot of the church play-either Noah and the Ark or Moses. I hope this will be a church play as only Anderson can do it.

A Brief Comment on the Music-
Given what we heard in the trailer, I’m expecting the pre-British invasion setting will dictate pre-British invasion music.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,687 posts
Saw the trailer at Wonder-Con. Looking forward to it, if I can only remember the complete title.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,327 posts
totally stoked for this!

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
it's easier to remember than dar jee ling limited.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,687 posts
Eh. Mnemonics. I can remember Darjeeling because it's a tea.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
yeah, you're right. i keep saying moonlight, and forgetting kingdom, lol.

this is going to be the opening film for the cannes film festival :thumbsup:

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Eh

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
i would expect every trailer for an anderson movie to be "eh" because his films are all about the dialogue, story, and character development. the acting is always top-notch, and the humor almost always dry. that's a lot to make a coherent(?) trailer. i know it's going to be great because wes anderson is the only director who has never disappointed me, and to this day i can't pick a favorite film because they're all so ****ing amazing for one reason or the other.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Eh to the whole Wes Anderson "thing." Some of it is amusing, and he picks great actors to work with. Maybe there just aren't enough art schools in the south for you to have heard gaggles of trust fund douches fawn over the great Wes Anderson and his unflappably awesome style for long enough to have just have had enough of it.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
we have art school douche bags here, mostly in downtown charleston, but they aren't all trust fundy. those ****s are in mount pleasant and attend private catholic schools. just because a bunch of tools like anderson doesn't mean anderson isn't awesome or a tool himself. anderson is a master of his craft. we should appreciate sound writing and filming.

Brett

Brett

person

• Members
  • 1,751 posts
I didn't know this was "limited release", bah.

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,093 posts
Yeah, I'm not seeing any showings near me at all. Lame.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
shiiit, it's not in columbia OR atlanta. wtf??? maybe it will be out in more places next week. that happens sometimes, right?

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
It's no where around me and I'm only over an hour outside NYC. Hoping my theaters around me will get it by mid-June, early July.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
What is this limited release people always speak of?

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
Need a live-in assistant, Seth? I make a hell of a cup of coffee.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
i hate you, seth.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,687 posts
Isn't it opening wide soon?

Brett

Brett

person

• Members
  • 1,751 posts
better be, I wanna see this thang

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts
Saw this last night. Really nice film, very funny, the two lead kids are excellent.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
YAY this finally opens here at our wannabe artsy fartsy theater this friday.

also, this has got a 95% on rotten tomatoes. that's 2% percent better than the avengers, though i'm sure it will be one million percent better than a comic flic obv.