Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Student guilty of hate crimes for spying on gay roommate

5 replies to this topic

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• Moderators
  • 16,999 posts
Hate crime conviction for spying on gay roommate.

(Reuters) - A former Rutgers University student who used a computer webcam to spy on a sexual tryst of his roommate, who later committed suicide, was found guilty of hate crimes on Friday in a case that put a national spotlight on gay bullying.

I'm really torn on this one. I think the idea of hate crimes are ridiculous, as is the media hysteria over bullying.

But this violation of privacy is disgusting in and of itself, and the fact that it was posted online in order to mock the young man makes it all the more heinous. "Hate crime" or not, Ravi deserved to have the book thrown at him.

:eek:
  • El Chalupacabra +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Members
  • 14,073 posts
I'm not torn. I think that the entire idea of "hate crimes" is stupid and a step away from equality. But this dickwad also deserves to spend some time in prison.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• Moderators
  • 16,999 posts
Oh, I'm not torn over the prison thing. I thought I was clear about that, and that he should spend time behind bars. What bothers me is that he was put in prison for committing a hate crime.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Members
  • 14,073 posts
And I guess my thought is that there should be a better reason for him to be in prison. If the choice is hate crime or freedom, then he should be free.

But he deserves prison. And before Amidala comes in with her legal knowledge and berates me, I don't know enough to know if there was any other way to send him to prison, but if not, there should be. Because hate crimes are moronic.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
they just did this same thing on southland a couple episodes ago. the question is, would he still have killed himself if people found out he was gay another way? most of the time gay bullying pushes one to cross that line. there are also people who are just too ashamed and then commite suicide. it's sad. the right mentality should be, "i got lots of problems. being gay isn't one of them."

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

TacocaT

• Members
  • 5,263 posts

Hate crime conviction for spying on gay roommate.

(Reuters) - A former Rutgers University student who used a computer webcam to spy on a sexual tryst of his roommate, who later committed suicide, was found guilty of hate crimes on Friday in a case that put a national spotlight on gay bullying.

I'm really torn on this one. I think the idea of hate crimes are ridiculous, as is the media hysteria over bullying.

But this violation of privacy is disgusting in and of itself, and the fact that it was posted online in order to mock the young man makes it all the more heinous. "Hate crime" or not, Ravi deserved to have the book thrown at him.

:eek:

Agreed. In most cases, I don't agree with "hate crimes," as there is usually a crime that fits already. For example, a guy beats another to death for nothing more than the color of his skin. That is murder and you don't need a hate crime for that... just throw the book at him for murder and never let him see daylight again. But in this case, (and I am not a cop or lawyer, so I can't say what law he should be convicted under aside from a hate crime), the punishment for something like invasion of privacy does not seem severe enough for causing the death of this guy. It isn't quite negligent homicide, but we all know he caused a reason for someone to commit suicide. And he did seem to do it out of malice because the guy was gay. So Hate crime does seem appropriate here.

Reply to this topic