Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tank reads an EU book

money where my mouth is...

83 replies to this topic

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
Okay. I'll do it. I'll give one a chance. Give me some suggestions, I'll make a poll, you vote, I read and give a detailed, honest response.

Good God a Bear

Good God a Bear

well ****

• Supporters
  • 7,625 posts
The Mayans were right...
  • Tank, Destiny Skywalker and Darth Lohr +1 this

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Grand Master Whango Mittphool

• Members
  • 32,978 posts
What kinds of stories do you like?

My first instinct is Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
I like all kinds of stories-- but if you want it to have a fighting chance, then I'd say it has to be the tone of the Star Wars film-- adventurey, epic, mythic battles between good and evil, with a touch of humor and heart.

If you mean details, I'll just say I'm not a bounty hunter snob, nor do I think lightsabers are requisite of a Star Wars story.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

• Members
  • 32,978 posts
I'm gonna go with my first choice, then. It can get kind of rambly at times (Stover likes to be very cerebral and loves his in-universe similes), but all the characters are perfectly written and there's a sense of adventure and humor throughout.

Another option would be Wraith Squadron, but it's Book 5 in a series. It starts a new three-book arc, though, so I don't think it would be too hard to understand.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,482 posts
Do you have an era or cast preference?

The Maker

The Maker

Je voudrais un croissant.

• Members
  • 11,336 posts
My starting recommendation is always Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy that kicked off the modern era of EU, but I recall you saying you had read those and weren't impressed.

I think you said you've read and liked the old Han Solo trilogy by Brian Daley. These are my most favorite SW novels. I also really enjoyed A.C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy--while I don't think it was necessary to detail Han's life history, and a few of the characters he encounters or crosses paths with are a little too coincidental, I still overall really enjoyed this trilogy.

I would recommend the X-Wing series, those were a lot fun (if at times a little cheesy), but I know your thoughts on Timothy Zahn's books and so I'm not sure if Michael Stackpole or Aaron Allston would hold up for you, either.

While I am generally an EU fan, I admit that there are more books I would recommend staying away from than I would suggest having you read. My EU preference leans more heavily towards comics, since SW works best for me as visual storytelling.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
Era/cast-- doesn't really matter to me, though obviously I'm no huge fan of the PT era outside of the clone wars cartoon.

I'm not prepared to read a miniseries, but if book 1 of one is really that amazing I'd give it a shot.

From the various synopses I've read over the years, in theory, I like stories that weave the two trilogies together. There was some book about Leia meeting Kitster on Tattooine that was almost okay. Despite my bashing Lucas, the idea around Darth Plagueis, a book that fill sin gaps around one of the films, is also interesting.

Favorite character-- Obi-wan.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

• Members
  • 32,978 posts
Maybe Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader? I still think Mindor would fit the bill.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Don't bother
  • Pong Messiah and danger +1 this

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts

Maybe Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader? I still think Mindor would fit the bill.

Read synopses. Rise of Vader sounds interested. Mindor sounds like it does exactly what I dislike-- Giving me a BIGGER BADDER more Sithy villain after the emperor and Vader are dead for Luke to struggle with.

Zerimar Nyliram

Zerimar Nyliram

Dude

• Members
  • 2,247 posts

Don't bother

Oh, bugger off!

Anyway, Tank, if the premise behind Darth Plagueis sound intriguing to you, then go for that one. It's a great book, and its only flaw that I could spot was that Palpatine's Anakin-like moment that sent him over the edge seemed a little premature in the story, and not very believable. I won't say what it is, but Mara probably knows what I'm talking about. It was like, whoa, slow down there, Luceno. But other than that, a phenomenal novel that sets The Phantom Menace in a whole new light, and, I dare say, may serve as an excellent alternative to the film itself.

Other than that, I highly recommend I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole. It is my favorite Star Wars novel ever. Although it doesn't focus on Luke or any of the "Big Three," is is an excellent character expos, which I think makes for the best type of stories. And the ironic thing is that it's a retelling of that Hack Kevin J. Anderson's piece of crap story set forth in the Jedi Academy trilogy. It just goes to show that a good writer can take anything and turn it into gold.

Also, I recommend what The Maker said about comics: they represent some of the best the EU has to offer. Definitely don't limit yourself to novels. When a lot of people think "Expanded Universe," they automatically think books and nothing else (which I think may be part of Bodega's problem, as well as many other EU haters out there). The EU consists of novels, comic books, video games, short stories, card games, board games, and just about every other media out there. There are plenty of angles to tackle it from.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

• Members
  • 32,978 posts

Read synopses. Rise of Vader sounds interested. Mindor sounds like it does exactly what I dislike-- Giving me a BIGGER BADDER more Sithy villain after the emperor and Vader are dead for Luke to struggle with.

I think you will have that problem with most post-RotJ books, just because of the nature of when they take place. I don't think Mindor fits that bill, but then again I'm very partial to Luke Skywalker.

I think you might like Wraith Squadron and the other X-wing novels - mainly because they're smaller in scope and deal with mopping up the Empire. The villains are bad but not Sith. I specifically recommend Wraith Squadron because the characters are really dynamic and interesting and it's an easier read than the original Rogue Squadron.

Most of the other books I love are Zahn, who I know you don't like, or parts of a series.

Zerimar Nyliram

Zerimar Nyliram

Dude

• Members
  • 2,247 posts
With Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Stover said that he was mainly inspired by the old Marvel Comics Star Wars stories, and was trying to capture the same essence. Thus, it is sort of deliberately fanboyish. But, in the same novel, he sets forth some mind-blowing metaphysics and philosophy, and does it well, too.
  • Ryn +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Dammit!

• Members
  • 4,923 posts
Well, here;s my favorite EU novels excluding the Thrawn Trilogy, (not that I have read a lot of EU novels):

1. Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
2. I, Jedi
3. Shadows of the Empire.
4. The Han Solo Adventures (Han Solo at Star;s End,Han Solo's Revenge, Han Solo and the Lost Legacy)
5. Splinter of the Mind's Eye (written before The Empire Strikes Back came out)

Keep in mind I may be in the minority here, but if you want to give a Dark Horse graphic novel a try, I would recommend Tales of the Jedi Omnibus 1 & Omnibus 2. This is the Knights of the Old Republic era, and takes place before the first KOTOR game, so if you liked the game, this will give you the background on it. It details the original Sith species, their defeat by the old republic, and how fallen jedi later became sith themselves, and started a Jedi Civil War. If you didn't like the KOTOR game, or don't like Jedi-focused stories, you might not like those graphic novels, though.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,245 posts
The one where they ride Rancors!
  • Pong Messiah +1 this

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• Supporters
  • 17,654 posts
You are thinking of "Tatooine Ghost" where Leia ends up on Tatooine and exposed to Anakin Skywalker's life. It's not too bad.

And I'm loving "Darth Plagueis" even though it's heavy on the build-up, over decades, of the Sith machinations to enact their Revenge, so to speak.

I would recommend "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader".

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• Supporters
  • 3,706 posts

The one where they ride Rancors!

YES! The Kidnapping of Princess Leia!

My recommendations :

the Dark Forces books by William C. Dietz --- they have pictures!

Starfighters of Adumar --- the exciting adventures of Wedge Antilles and his friends on a Planet of Hats where they revere pilots and there is intrigue and spying and a close investigation of the ongoing realpolitik struggles of the Empire versus the Rebels and how that would change after the Emperor's death!

Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina
Tales of the Bounty Hunters
Tales from Jabba's Palace --- all three of these are anthologies of short stories. You can pick one and start reading and if you don't like it you can just skip to the next somewhat unrelated story!

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

• Members
  • 32,978 posts

Starfighters of Adumar --- the exciting adventures of Wedge Antilles and his friends on a Planet of Hats where they revere pilots and there is intrigue and spying and a close investigation of the ongoing realpolitik struggles of the Empire versus the Rebels and how that would change after the Emperor's death!

I concur. SoA is wonderful.

Darth Virul

Darth Virul

The Loin King

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Check out Tales Of The Bounty Hunters. Real classic post sarlacc Boba Fett for ya bra

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
I actually read that one back in the day. It was okay. But Boba Fett IS DEAD
  • Destiny Skywalker and Ryn +1 this

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
Don't read tales of the bounty hunters. It's probably the worst collection of EU bull**** ever. Gets star wars completely wrong.

I like thrawn the best. Closest feel to SW in the books I've read.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

• Members
  • 32,978 posts
Tales of the Bounty Hunters, along with the Bounty Hunter Wars, are the ONLY Bantam era adult novels I didn't read. Considering I read through a lot of crap, that says A LOT.

Ironically, Boba Fett is Dead is now a comic by Tom Taylor.

Ugh, Boba Fett.

Anyway, I started re-reading Mindor last night. It's so good. I forgot to mention, Tank, that Stover frames it as if the entire novel could be a screenplay for a holofilm. It's really quite brilliant. So all the stuff you're worried about - bigger, badder villain - could just be the work of an overactive imagination. You might love that, or hate it. But I think Mindor is probably closest to the Marvel and Brian Daley era that you're gonna get.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
There was another terrible one called "Tales From Jabba's Sail Barge" or some such nonsense and Boba Fetts's story was just him shooting the **** with the sarlacc as he is digested. Its pretty fun until he blasts out to safety. That type of **** is why I don't get into EU - who says what's real and what's not? Its really just sci fi authors asking "what if" and that's why I can never get into it.

Reply to this topic