Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Santorum says he doesn't believe in separation of church and state

29 replies to this topic

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• Moderators
  • 16,886 posts
It doesn't get much better than this:

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum said Sunday that he doesn't believe in the separation of church and state, adding that he was sickened by John F. Kennedy's assurances to Baptist ministers 52 years ago that he would not impose his Catholic faith on them.

This guy is awesome.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Members
  • 14,073 posts

“This is the First Amendment. The First Amendment says the free exercise of religion. That means bringing everybody —people of faith and no faith — into the public square” he said. “Kennedy for the first time articulated the vision saying, ‘No, faith is not allowed in the public square, I will keep it separate.’ Go on and read the speech, ‘I will have nothing to do with faith. I won’t consult with people of faith.’ It was an absolutist doctrine that was foreign at the time of 1960.”

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 28,317 posts
Rick Santorum...is...bat...****...insane.
  • Ryn, Good God a Bear and Pong Messiah +1 this

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,886 posts

“This is the First Amendment. The First Amendment says the free exercise of religion. That means bringing everybody —people of faith and no faith — into the public square” he said. “Kennedy for the first time articulated the vision saying, ‘No, faith is not allowed in the public square, I will keep it separate.’ Go on and read the speech, ‘I will have nothing to do with faith. I won’t consult with people of faith.’ It was an absolutist doctrine that was foreign at the time of 1960.”

Good god he's an idiot. There is a huge difference between public displays of your faith and pushing/legislating religious values upon people. That's what Kennedy was talking about.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
It's a total pipe dream, but I'd love it if Ron Paul forced the Democratic and Republican party to jettison enough people to make Libertarianism legit, and for the hardcore conservative right elements of the Republican party to branch of and follow Santorum in some new whackadoodle political party and destroy the two party system.
  • monkeygirl and Copper +1 this

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 19,725 posts
Tank, you and I are on fairly opposite sides of the political spectrum and I too wish that would happen!
  • Good God a Bear and Copper +1 this

Good God a Bear

Good God a Bear

well ****

• Supporters
  • 7,732 posts
I agree with Tank and Destiny...

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*
  • Guests

and for the hardcore conservative right elements of the Republican party to branch of and follow Santorum in some new whackadoodle political party and destroy the two party system.

It's happened before.

Back when the Dems were the more socially conservative party, every now and then the redneck faction would break off into a whackadoodle party when the national candidates weren't being racist enough. For example- George Wallace in 1968, running on the "American Independent Party." He even won 5 states: Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, and Georgia. Or take Strom Thurmond, who running on the States' Rights Democratic party of 1948 won 4 states: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina.

The problem with the whackadoodle parties is they are always short lived. Eventually a major party realizes that all those southerners are pretty easy for the takin. All you need to do is say "Jesus" a certain number of times per speech, and you're good to go.

To be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way. I kinda hope Santorum wins the nomination and the election, because I get pleasure out of seeing poor Southerners keep voting to lower my taxes in the hopes that we'll actually do something about the gays, and the moslems, and the hippies. When really I just care about buying my third property- hopefully with a tax cut that I get and you don't. I also love how they idolize us- as if we would ever let their kind into the club. LOL! :lol:

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
This guy cracks me up. He's really a legit threat to Romney? If not, he's funny. If he is, its kinda scary.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
It would be scary if any one of these laughable nominees had a legitamate shot at actually winning a national election.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
yeah, skiff, half the country is ****in braindead and christian. one of them has a shot if dems think its in the bag and dont vote.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Shaken. Not purred.

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

This guy cracks me up. He's really a legit threat to Romney? If not, he's funny. If he is, its kinda scary.

It may be a statistical minority, but there is really a faction of the Republican party (I would say maybe as much as 1/3) that really think EXACTLY LIKE Santorum, and it seems to be growing. That is the scary thing.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,285 posts
Looking at the freak show before us, I simply can't help but wonder if the Republican Party isn't where the Democrats were 8 years ago.

In 2004. Bush won a second term largely (although not entirely) because the alternatives offered up by the Democrats (especially Kerry) were just so bad. Now, in 2012, the Repubs seem to be in the same position.

I have to question Santorum and Gingrich's electability, as while they appeal to their 'base', they appear to have very little, if any, support amongst moderates and Independents. Of the front runners, only Romney seems, at this moment, to have enough acceptance outside of the fringes to really have a shot at winning, and even then, I think he'd be ultimately defeated. If he becomes the nominee, the same thing could destroy him that did in Kerry. His record of flip-flopping and shifting position on the fly is practically unmatched, and I'd expect him to get hammered with that if the Dems are smart (which may be giving them too much credit. As I've said before, never underestimate the Democrats ability to lose when victory seems certain).

If Obama wins a second term come November, which by no means is certain but seems likely to happen thus far (although again, the Dems have an unparalleled ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory), how much of that reelection will be because the alternatives offered by the Republicans just sucked so much?

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,888 posts

(although again, the Dems have an unparalleled ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory)

:lol:

Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

The Feathered Serpent

• Members
  • 3,131 posts
"President Obama once said he wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob."

huh?

Lately, whenever I hear this guy talk, my first thought is "did he just say that". When did higher education become "snobby"? Isn't that something we're supposed to encourage? That remark was met with applause! What the hell?

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,886 posts
Encouraging everybody to go to college is naive and destructive. That kind of attitude fosters a society full of 30-somethings with no career outside the service industry and student loan debt larger than a mortgage.

Of course, this is different than pushing for a society where a college education is available for everybody with the intelligence and drive to succeed, regardless of their financial means (which is a brilliant and constructive idea).
  • Copper +1 this

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 28,317 posts
Yeahbut...he didn't say that. Because Santorum is insane.
  • Good God a Bear +1 this

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,260 posts
What's funny is that Santorum went to college and even has an MBA... what a snob. Also, his kids are in colleges! SO HE'S BREEDING SNOBS!!!1 OMG
  • Obsidian +1 this

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 19,725 posts

Encouraging everybody to go to college is naive and destructive. That kind of attitude fosters a society full of 30-somethings with no career outside the service industry and student loan debt larger than a mortgage.

Of course, this is different than pushing for a society where a college education is available for everybody with the intelligence and drive to succeed, regardless of their financial means (which is a brilliant and constructive idea).

Pong 4 Prez!

I think education is just about the most important issue there is. But I agree whole-heartedly that university-level academia is not for everyone. If it is for everyone, then ultimately it will become watered-down to the lowest common denominator. And I probably am a snob for thinking like that. But I don't care.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
I don' think everyone needs to, or should go to college, but I wouldn't mind my taxes dollars making sure everyone had the opportunity. Most all my problems with this country is stupid people, education is a good thing.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,501 posts
I long for the days of Bachmann sound bites!

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,180 posts

"President Obama once said he wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob."

huh?

Lately, whenever I hear this guy talk, my first thought is "did he just say that". When did higher education become "snobby"? Isn't that something we're supposed to encourage? That remark was met with applause! What the hell?

What's met with applause in this particular election season is astounding. Letting people die because they're not properly insured is still my favorite.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

trained in gorilla warfare

• Supporters
  • 31,839 posts
^ ha, yeah, and those same people were SO MAD about the fictional "death panels" in Obamacare...
  • Obsidian and monkeygirl +1 this

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,180 posts

I long for the days of Bachmann sound bites!

I think someone should make a political Dream team movie. Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry, Sarah Palin, GW Bush and Rick Santorum travel across the country in a bus together to search for the next nominee. HILARITY WILL ENSUE, I tell you!

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Shaken. Not purred.

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

I don' think everyone needs to, or should go to college, but I wouldn't mind my taxes dollars making sure everyone had the opportunity. Most all my problems with this country is stupid people, education is a good thing.

Yes I agree. Stupid people are the reason you get idiots like Rick Santorum in politics.

Reply to this topic