Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Awake

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,388 posts
My posts survived this purge! #winning

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,327 posts
I was told by a tv addict I trust that the producers have already stated that he isn't dead or in a coma. Which makes me really excited.

I loved all the hints they had throughout that point toward this being some kind of conspiracy.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,388 posts
For me the second episode was even stronger than the pilot. I love that he's using what information he discovers in one reality to get **** down in the other one. That's an interesting development that I didn't see coming.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,492 posts
I still haven't watched the pilot, which is odd because I'm still excited for the show. Pregnant wife, three kids... video game "addiction"... all taking my time. Maybe I need to spend less time with the kids.
  • the skiff guard, Darth Lohr and Nomaa Jedi Piarra +1 this

omertalifestyle

omertalifestyle

• Members
  • 2 posts
I think he has a multiple personality disorder so all the characters you are seeing are just part of the world inside of his mind

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,388 posts
That's not how multiple personality disorder works ... but that doesn't mean you're wrong. LA writers can be morons, especially when it comes to that disorder.

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts
It's interesting that there are scenes in this show that the main character is not a witness to, and therefore aren't actually part of his "dream". For instance when the wife goes to visit her son's friend and sees the motorcycle, and of course the scene with the lady from ER talking to the guy about the accident. He clearly isn't really "dreaming" these scenes.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,388 posts
You can dream **** that you're not a part of. Especially since these people come back and eventually tell him what they experienced.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,492 posts
I dream stuff I'm not in all the time. Sometimes it's like I'm watching TV, but I'm not on the couch watching instead I'm the camera... if that makes any sense. Then usually I push myself into the dream and I'm there and stuff interacts with me. And yes, believe it or not, but I am a lucid dreamer.

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts
But you're still aware of what you're dreaming, even if you're not personally interacting with the dream... clearly that's not the case with some of the scenes of this show, the main character is definitely not aware of the conversion between his boss (the ER lady) and that other guy concerning the accident, and probably he won't even become aware of it for quite some time. That seems to be a strong indication that it's actually not a dream.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,492 posts
That's a good point.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,277 posts

For me the second episode was even stronger than the pilot. I love that he's using what information he discovers in one reality to get **** down in the other one. That's an interesting development that I didn't see coming.

I do like that he's accepting the situation, even growing confident in his mental stability and using it to his advantage, instead of just wallowing in WHY-ME? angst and fretting about his sanity.

One problem I do foresee, though: if he insists on keeping both his partners out of the loop, he's gonna have to come up with hundreds of variations on "Oh, it's just a hunch" to keep avoiding any and all questions about his new investigative procedure of chasing down clues and leads that look to all the world as though he plucked them from thin air. That part could get old quickly, unless he plans to convince them he's become some kind of high-functioning Rain Man.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Soo... Has anyone been watching this show?

Just caught up on last weeks episode, only one more left
(unfortunately then it's cancelled)

So far I've enjoyed the series, for the most part

Very interested to see how they wrap this season/series up
hopefully they do
Cause I'll be mighty pissed they end it with a cliffhanger, assuming they would be renewed

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts
Yeah, I've been watching it every week... it's been great. Surprised to hear it's cancelled, is that a definite at this point?

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,582 posts
Yep, corporations of America win yet again!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,388 posts
The series finale was ****ING AWESOME! Turns this into an amazing 13 episode miniseries.

Nomaa Jedi Piarra

Nomaa Jedi Piarra

Easy as 1 - 2 - 3

• Members
  • 6,016 posts
Spoiler

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,388 posts
Nope! Absolutely not.

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts
This was a good show, but I found the finale confusing... maybe that was the point, to leave it sorta ambiguous as to what it all means. At least he solved the mystery of the accident.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
(I don't really know what the decisive protocol is for spoilers, but I will ignorantly assume that we decided that all threads may contain spoilers post episode air dates or movie release dates, and if you do not wish to have a form of media spoiled prior to viewing do not enter and read a thread that discusses the details of said media.)

Having said that...SPOILERS!!! AHEAD

An interview with creator Kyle Killen about the series finale

He dismisses some theories on the nature of Michael's situation

…and then he woke up.” That is absolutely not what we intended. If you watch the last few minutes again, I’m not sure what the argument for that [interpretation] even is. I suppose there’s the überpossibility that he’s in a coma and now having a third dream in the coma, but in no way should it be interpreted as, “He woke up and his family was fine. He’d just been having two nightmares.”

However he provides very little information further corncerning the reality of his psuedo reality

So what the **** actually happened?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,388 posts
Yeah, once something has aired, its open season for conversation.

I'm pretty sure I know what happened, so I'll explain later today.

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts
Well, in my opinion any interpetation that implies that the accident never happened negates the entire significance of the plot.

The interpretation I came up with is that "real" reality is that the accident did in fact happen and his wife was killed and his son survived, and the rest was a dream. At the end (when the female therapist froze) the dream was essentially transformed into a dream in which both his wife and son survived.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,388 posts

The interpretation I came up with is that "real" reality is that the accident did in fact happen and his wife was killed and his son survived, and the rest was a dream. At the end (when the female therapist froze) the dream was essentially transformed into a dream in which both his wife and son survived.

This is pretty much word for word what I was gonna say, so I think you're dead on. :yes:

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts
I think there is still ambiguity about it though, so multiple interpretations are gonna happen. But whatever the interpretation I think the overall theme is that by solving the mystery and bringing justice to those who attacked him and his family... he eventually found peace.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,492 posts
Just finished it, my two cents in a timeline...

Prior to The Crash: Britton almost figures out all the key pieces of The Westfield Case, which he's working on with Bird. A hit is put on Britton (the key detective), collateral damage doesn't matter.

During The Crash: Rex and Hannah die. Britton barely survives.

After The Crash: Britton is in a coma. Bird gets transferred and a new rookie partner in Vega. In a coma Britton's mind fabricates realities scrambling to come to terms with events. Britton fills in events in his realities with info chatted to him by Bird when he makes his daily visit to Britton in the hospital. Months in Bird breaks the Westfield case. Bird relays his usual daily info but this news shatters the illusion Britton was surviving in. The last thread Britton felt he had to hold onto got tied up, Britton faces reality, his family is dead, he's barely alive. Britton lets go. The end.

Afterthought: that said, I'd prefer a continuing series were he isn't / never was in coma and it's all pieces of reality his fractured psyche is just trying to make sense of. Perhaps if one reality is real, maybe the worst off one. But anyway as a one off season I'll stick with the he's in a coma and dies when he faces the fact he has nothing else left to hang onto.

Edited by The Human Torch, 13 July 2012 - 02:52 AM.