Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fringe Season Four

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Dammit!

• Members
  • 4,923 posts
Yeah, I think part of it is the lack of a more overt interaction with the alternate universe.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
There is no real threat to them at the moment, I think this half of the season will focus on the search for Peter more than anything, then I hope The Observers go ape**** and start blowing things up with their guns.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Dammit!

• Members
  • 4,923 posts
I have a feeling both universes are going to have to unite against the observers, and Peter will have something to do with that.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 39,883 posts
Another great episode that nevertheless left me feeling meh. With their current ratings, it's a damned shame their final season is going to be wasted looking for Peter.

Part of the problem is it's never good when the audience is ahead of the characters. And we've been ahead of Walter and Olivia for three straight episodes now. We know what's up, and they don't, so waiting for them to catch up gets old. This is a problem with any movie or TV show where the audience knows more than the characters do.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
I agree to some extent but at the same time you can't just have Peter reappear after a few episodes, it cheapens the finale of last season.

I like the pace that it is going along at right now. This isn't the same universe we left last year, it's different and we are still learning things about these characters that weren't quite true before.

Last week was more about Olivia, this week was Walter.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,883 posts

I agree to some extent but at the same time you can't just have Peter reappear after a few episodes, it cheapens the finale of last season.

Which is why I was disappointed to see them do that last year, because I knew it meant this crap the first quarter of this season. Because it would be cheap if they just handwaved him back. Personally, I just think this was a wrong turn, but that's just me. They're writing to please themselves, not me. We'll see where it goes, it could go somewhere really cool and I'll change my mind.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• Moderators
  • 16,593 posts

They're writing to please themselves, not me.

Well, they're pleasing me. I thought the alternate universe serial killer episode was a brilliant "what if?" and what could have easily been a run of the mill motw episode was saved by some great performances. That last scene with Walter, I literally got a little ill from hearing the hammer.

I do understand that they need to head back to the main story, and wouldn't want too many more diversions, but I've really enjoyed the first few episodes.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,883 posts

Well, they're pleasing me.

That's how it goes. Which is why any show runner who pays attention to fan feedback is retarded. You're never going to please the entire fanbase, so just please yourself and you'll also please a certain segment of the population. But start chasing fan feedback and you'll end up pleasing nobody.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,593 posts
It's probably another discussion altogether, but I only agree with you to a point on this.

A talented artist who pays too much attention to feedback will typically become diluted, and ultimately destroy anything unique and special about themselves. Conversely, a talented artist who pays too little attention to feedback typically ends up creating art that is recursive, clumsy, and borderline autistic.

This isn't a "happy medium," because I definitely err on the side of not caring what others think, but it's still important to pay some heed, because an outside perspective is often able to catch quirks and flaws that the insider is completely (blissfully!) unaware of.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,883 posts
Yeah, I can get behind that. Moderation in all things.

It's far more complicated with TV shows though because you have more than one show runner, you have the head writer, you have the most powerful or two actors AND the network ... all calling certain shots. That's a LOT of input.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,593 posts
Oh, definitely. That's part of why I'm always so amazed when a good television show (especially on a commercial network) produces something that is entertaining without insulting my intelligence.

Copper

Copper

**** every cause that ends in murder and children crying

• Moderators
  • 12,233 posts
goddammit I want my pacey back.
  • Destiny Skywalker +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,883 posts
I'm going to assume you mean Peter by that and agree with you.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
An interview with Fringe cast and crew about Peter's disappearance.

Josh Jackson hits the nail on the head near the end. 'The nervousness is a good thing. We've built up so much over the past few seasons that I hope the fans just to trust us and let us take you where the writers are going on this one. Trust us.'

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,883 posts
Yeah yeah, wake me up when he gets back. It'd be different if this wasn't their last season, but we're losing valuable Peter time here.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
Lance Reddick was in this weeks Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia! He played a jive talking, smoooth 60's gangster guy

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,883 posts
Did he sing? I just rewatched Brown Betty and that dude's got some pipes.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
Naaaw, funny though

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,883 posts
I'm not surprised they did this because back in season 2 they only ran their fake Charlie plotline for exactly 4 episodes before resolving it. Last night was the 4th episode of this season.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
FRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNGE!!!!

Quit all yer whining now. Peter is back ;) Never really thought of it from his point of view before, he will see it as having been catapulted straight into a world where nobody knows him at all. Poor Peter

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
You're all supposed to tell me when it is a repeat week (bane of my life) so I don't get mega excited and then depressed come Saturday mornings :(

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
HEEEEEEEEE'S BAAAAAAAAAAAACK

Decent episode, highlighted a few more differences between the alternate Peter-verses. I think we as the audience are now firmly in Peter's camp as we basically know everything (and possibly a lil more) than he does.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 19,640 posts
I'm starting to feel like they're retreading territory (OMG what are shape-shifters?!), and that's disappointing to me. It might be interesting for the characters to re-learn everything they used to know, but it's no too interesting to the audience.

I want my universe/timeline back, STAT.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
True, but these are different shape-shifters.

Yeah I wasn't that bothered either. They have already shown the worst possible fear with shifters and that is what happened to Charlie. I'm hoping they go somewhere completely new with the idea (and if there is one show that can do that it is probably Fringe)

Are Olivia's powers being re-awakened on this side now, or is it something different? Having just watched S1 through it's quite fun to see the parallels

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
Yaaaaaay for more Fringe/Peter. Still loving the new universe.