Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New York Giants vs New England Patriots: Super Bowl XLVI

NFL Sports Super Bowl Championship

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo / Robin in Alaska

• Members
  • 32,915 posts
A rematch? Sorta. Not really, but the Lombardi is still the prize and New York beat down the Patriots for it last time.

Indianapolis gets to host a Manning in the Super Bowl. For those Colts fans that can't stand the thought of the Patriots winning it all at Lucas Oil then this match up is a consolation gift to them.

The Giants are a legit kick your teeth in defense and have a quarterback that gets it done. The Patriots are fierce on offense, lead by a Golden Boy, but while their defense plays with heart the overall talent is suspect.

Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick are old school, defensive coaches. Tied not just by Super Bowl XLII, but together as Giants assistants under Parcells. Two like minds, not afraid to coach their way, screw the media and public perception.

Boston vs New York. The NFL has a huge market, history, culturally fueled rivalry to promote. The hype for this will be big. The NFL lucked out. On a small, final note: Madonna is the half time show and she's bringing with her media hype for a new tour and winning a Golden Globe this year.

The stories for this abound. Who's interested?

Edited by The Human Torch, 31 October 2012 - 06:33 PM.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,088 posts
Me! I can't wait. I am just worried that it will be a blow out. I think the Packers had rust and they'd have been further if they didn't have time off for two weeks. Now we have to wait two weeks to get the Super Bowl. I like fun games with some challenge to them in some way. I dunno even who to root for.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,066 posts

Indianapolis gets to host a Manning in the Super Bowl.

And the crowd goes wild! *yeeeeey*

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

• Members
  • 32,915 posts
^LOL :)

I am, of course, totally in. Being that I am a crazy Pats fan. With that said, whoa boy... the possibility of dropping this championship to the Giants AGAIN is daunting. I have several friends in my circle that would never let me forget. But that's all part of what makes sports fanaticism great.

Bring on the game! Two weeks will feel like an eternity.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Im Excited as a Pats fan and my initial feeling is that the pats will win.

I Honestly felt that the Giants would win in 07, and I was right

This year i don't have that same feeling. i think the Pats will pull it off this time

groove terminator

groove terminator

There are two rules for success: 1.) Don't tell all you know

• Members
  • 2,862 posts
go giants!

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• Moderators
  • 14,641 posts
I have resisted giving Eli his due for years. Unfortunately I think he was right that he is an elite QB, especially with his performance this season.
  • Rock +1 this

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,525 posts
Can you imagine if he winds up with more rings then big bro???

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

trained in gorilla warfare

• Supporters
  • 31,568 posts
Oh that'd be great. I'd love that. I'm rooting for New England, though.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
Booked the following monday off work so I can watch this and get wasted!
  • Rock and Darth Krawlie +1 this

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,525 posts
Nice! I'll be pulling for the Giants. It'll be nice to see Bellicheat suffer yet another grand-stage upset.
  • danger +1 this

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Bernard Pollard, Ravens Safety, told a houston radio show that he hopes the Giants "thrash" the Patriots. Pollard is responsible for the tackle that resulted in Rob Gronkowski's ankle injury during Sundays game, he was also the reason that Wes Welker made an abrupt lateral movement and tore 2 ligaments in his knee heading into the 2009 playoffs, he's also responsible for the low (now illegal) hit on Tom Brady that ended his 2008 season,
he's a Patriot assasin
I ****in hate Bernard Pollard.

F*ck you D*ck munch

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

• Members
  • 32,915 posts
I used to think that Bernie Pollard just played hard, but he keeps showing up in situations where guys are injuring themselves and with the same sorts of injuries. Clearly something he does, consciously done or not, places weight in these areas which causes things to go pop.

Anyway, that's a nice way of saying: I now think he's dirty and I also hate him as much as I can given I don't actually know the man. LOL

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,213 posts
Lemme call the waaaaaah-mbulance for you patsies.

Bernard Pollard is an American hero.

(but no, I agree. His late hit out of bounds shredded Anthony Gonzalez's knee in 2010).
  • Rock and ShadowDog +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,088 posts
He has a gift. The Ravens are lucky to have him as apparently the NFL is moving in a defense heavy direction. I've never seen more celebratory dances than when a QB gets sacked.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts

as apparently the NFL is moving in a defense heavy direction.

Maybe in the playoffs, where the officials are letting the teams play rather than throwing bull**** flags everytime the ball is in the air. But the league is trending in the exact opposite direction overall

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,293 posts
I have to say I am very confident for this game. Here is some very simple analysis explaining why: I don't see any real way for the Patriots to slow down the Giants passing game. They don't have a very good pass rush and don't have a good secondary. On the other side the Giants do have a way to slow down the Pats passing game, they have a great pass rush. That will be the difference.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Actually the Patriots have 8 sacks this postseason 1 sack behind the Giants with one less game played. New England had 40 sacks during the regular season (14th) yet they were only 8 sacks behind the Giants who had 48 (3rd).

In Sunday's game against the 49ers, the Giants gave up 6 sacks, and Manning was harassed throughout that entire game. By the end of that game he looked like he was wearing a Cleveland Browns jersey.
As for the Patriots, they allowed 0 sacks to the 3rd ranked defense in the NFL. And the Ravens were tied with the Giants for regular season sacks with 48

Vince Wilfork is a beast. Anyone who truely understands football will tell you that Wilfork had the best game, by far, than any other player on that field last Sunday. Mark Anderson has been very effective off the end as well. And overall the play of the Pat's defense has been remarkably improved compared to the regular season.

I'll agree that the Patriots don't have a very good secondary, however they have played much better than advertised as of late

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Vietnamese Superbowl Animation

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,293 posts
The Giant pass rush is a whole different thing now than it was for most of the year now that Umenyiora and Tuck are both playing and healthy. The pats had 5 sacks against Tebow. Were they actual sacks or running plays where they got him in the backfield? That's a real question, I don't know.

Osi being back is huge. He missed 7 games this year. In the 12 games he's played including the playoffs he has 12.5 sacks. On a passing down with JPP, Osi and Tuck all on the field it becomes very hard to block. Then throw in guys like Kiwanuka and Canty and it an e devastating.

The Giant pass rush wrecked the game 4 years ago and I think it will

Edited by The Choc, 25 January 2012 - 08:30 PM.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,213 posts
Now seems like a relevant time to bring up the fact that the Patriots got to the Super Bowl by beating Tim Tebow and Joe Flacco- it would be totally disturbing if their defense didn't seem much improved in the post season.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,293 posts
Good point. Here are the quarterbacks of the teams the Pats have beaten on their win streak.

Mark Sanchez
Tyler Pafko
Vince Young
Dan Orlovsky
Rex Grossman
Tim Tebow
Matt Moore
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Tim Tebow
Joe Flacco

Only guy missing is Todd Marinovich.
  • Lucas1138 +1 this

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,213 posts
Good lord. I realized the 2nd half of their schedule was soft but I had never looked at them all together like that.

Not exactly the '27 Yankees

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Patriots - Broncos Divisional Playoff Game

1st sack - Rob Ninkovich strip sacks Tebow in the pocket
2nd sack - Vince Wilfork sacks Tebow in the pocket
3rd sack - Gerard Warren sacks Tebow, untouched after a fake handoff, an option play but Warren got to him before he even moved
4th sack - Tebow sacked by three Patriots as pocket collapses on him

I agree that the Giant's pass rush has improved since the regular season due to both performance and health. And I do believe that thier play will be a significant factor in the oputcome of the game. I just wouldn't sleep on the Patriots front 7

Both New York's and New England's offensive lines ranked in the top ten in sacks allowed. the Giants at 28 (7th) and the Patriots at 32 (9th) However in the playoffs the Patriots have given up only one sack, and the Giants have let up 8, which is the playoff high.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Super Bowl Facts

There have been 13 regular season rematches in the Super Bowl
The team that lost the first meeting went on to defeat their opponent in the Super Bowl 8 out of the 13 times

There have been 6 regular season rematches since 1990.
The team that lost the first meeting went on to defeat their opponent in the Super Bowl 5 out of the 6 times

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NFL, Sports, Super Bowl, Championship