Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

List your top 5 quarterbacks of the '11 Season

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,500 posts
I was listening to the Rome Show and he doesn't even have Rodgers in the top 5 for this season. What kind of ridiculousness is this?

So gimme your top 5!

When I get home I'll give you my top five with reasons.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,408 posts
Well are we just saying regular season? Or including whats transpired the last 2 weeks?

Id say:

1-Aaron Rodgers
2-Drew Brees
3-Tom Brady
4-Eli Manning
5-Matthew Stafford

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 18,522 posts
Choc stole my list.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts

1-Aaron Rodgers
2-Drew Brees
3-Tom Brady
4-Eli Manning
5-Matthew Stafford

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,500 posts
Rome had listed Tom Brady as number one and then it was a tie between Roethlisberger and Manning I think. He was really on Eli's side today during the show. I can't remember as it was during break at school I was listening while entering grades. Then he said everyone else is way behind. He said something like Philip Rivers is trying. Puhleaeze. It made me think.

I can agree with Roethlisberger being there. I mean he played with an injury and played well. Brady deserves to be on the list somewhere too but I don't think the number one spot.

My top five are different. I think that the full season needs to be considered including play-offs.

1. Aaron Rodgers - He has played well through the full season and into the playoffs. Considering the help he got with calls yesterday, it really was a matter of the team not stepping up to play at the same level and some bad game management. I don't think he was pitching any badly thrown ballls and the routes were there.

2. Eli Manning - His team has played well and better. He can have moments where he throws crap though.

3. Tom Brady/Drew Brees - People hate on Rodgers and the Packer attitude but good Christ I just don't like the Foxboro attitude. Smug jerks. Just my opinion and it colors a little bit of my thoughts if only because my own team choice likes. I do think he can step up and play when it needs to be done. Brees is another guy you have to respect as well. Both are pretty good at managing the game and playing in their own right.

4. Ben Roethlisberger - To play and play through crap you create in your own personal life as well as with parts of other parts for his injured team and still be there in the play offs is very respectable. Even if what he did in his personal life is a pretty sucky thing to do.

5. Tim Tebow/ Payton Manning - Tim Tebow because he gave the Broncos hope. It was nice to see Elway smile after that big win last week and he had to step in and play quarterback and also receive. He does what he needs for his team. On the flip side, I have to say Manning is probably having the toughest time of his life. I don't think I could chose to NOT play a whole season and then sit through some of the crappiest crap that can handed to a dudes team when the Super Bowl is in your home town. But without him we would not have had the season we had for some other teams.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
So You asked us to Make a List of 5 Quarterbacks, Then presented Your own list with 7 QBs, One of which didn't even Play this Season?

:unimpressed:

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,500 posts
That's Spam! Besides, you copy and pasted. It's hard to get it be just five though. It's something I thought about for a while after I had duty with a whistle and a bunch of school busses blowing out deisel fumes after the last bell rang!

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,408 posts
I actually think that this season t was easy to identify the 5 best QBs. Obviously you can't use Eli's older brother because he didn't play. You can quibble with the order but very hard to sy that in some order Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning, Stafford were not the 5 best this season.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts

I have to say Manning is probably having the toughest time of his life. I don't think I could chose to NOT play a whole season and then sit through some of the crappiest crap that can handed to a dudes team when the Super Bowl is in your home town. But without him we would not have had the season we had for some other teams.

The Only Thing that would have been different if Manning Played this Season is the Houston Texans would have Missed the Playoffs yet Again

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,547 posts
1) Tim Tebow
2) Tim Tebow
3) Tim Tebow
4) Tim Tebow
5) Mark Sanchez

HM: Tim Tebow

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
:lol:

Gamevet

Gamevet

• Members
  • 3,874 posts
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Mathew Stafford
Eli Manning
Aaron Rodgers

Honerable mention to Matt Shaub (his season ending injury was a downer) and Philip Rivers.

What's sad is that Tony Romo had more touchdowns (31) and less interceptions (10) than Eli Manning, but his defense just killed the Cowboys season.

Edited by Gamevet, 16 January 2012 - 10:03 PM.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,500 posts
This topic was really just born of my Rome hate, I guess. I couldn't believe he could only pick three good QB's and say all the rest were behind Manning, Roth. and Brady. I just couldn't see that.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 18,522 posts
Stafford has to be in the conversation. 41 TDs, 16 INTs, 5038 yards.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts

What's sad is that Tony Romo had more touchdowns (31) and less interceptions (10) than Eli Manning, but his defense just killed the Cowboys season.

What's Sad is that tony romo Still Has a Job

But I sure hope the cowboys Keep him for the Forseeable Future (I ****in Hate the cowboys)

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,408 posts
Anyone who thinks Romo is even in the conversation with Eli is totally lost.

Gamevet

Gamevet

• Members
  • 3,874 posts

Anyone who thinks Romo is even in the conversation with Eli is totally lost.

bull****! The Cowboys D has let this team hang out to dry for over a decade. Hey, you remember that game a couple of years ago, where all the Cowboys had to do was stop the Giants on 3rd and long?! Only to see the running back break open for a touchdown not once, but twice. That doesn't happen to any other team but the Cowboys.

Eli is a great quarterback, but don't fool yourself into thinking he could put a team on his shoulders like his brother Peyton. During that 5 game losing skid, Eli should have been the one stepping up his game, when the defense collapsed, but it didn't happen for him, just like it didn't happen for Romo.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,408 posts
Eli doesn't always come through. Few players do. But he has in many big games in his life. When has Romo. Even once. When has he won a big game that was close? Or on the road?

Plus I didn't say Eli was as good as Peyton. Just said he is a far superior player to Romo.

Gamevet

Gamevet

• Members
  • 3,874 posts

Eli doesn't always come through. Few players do. But he has in many big games in his life. When has Romo. Even once. When has he won a big game that was close? Or on the road?

Plus I didn't say Eli was as good as Peyton. Just said he is a far superior player to Romo.

Yeah, but people like to put all of the fame and blame on the quarterback. Eli Manning has had a solid team around him since he's entered the league, while Romo hasn't had that luxury at all. He's had 3 different head coaches, a ****ty (don't get me started on that) offensive line, a defense that couldn't stop grandma on 3rd and long, mediocre running backs (Murray might change that) and dumbass recievers like Terrell (butterfingers) Owens, Dez Bryant and Crayton. Yeah, it's easy to point out when Romo has failed, but this team hasn't been solid since the 90's. I really feel bad for guys like Ware, Romo, Witten and Austin that bring it every weekend, only to be let down by the mediocre talent Jerry has put around them. Until Jerry Jones gives up being the GM or starts bringing in smart players, Romo isn't winning anything.

It's easy to forget all of the drives Romo has put together in the final minutes, only to be let down by boneheaded plays by other players, that gave the other teams wins.

Just look at the numbers. Romo has been ranked up there with Eli just about every year, but everyone seems to forget the team aspect of the sport, when it comes down to talking about quarterbacks. Eli's daddy can relate to that.

http://espn.go.com/n...11/seasontype/2

Edited by Gamevet, 17 January 2012 - 08:33 PM.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,484 posts
Not to interrupt your little pow-wow (in which I actually don't think there's a huge difference between Romo and Manning. Though I would take Eli).

But I wanted to go on record saying that Peyton won't be a Colt next year. Healthy or not. I don't think many people in Indy have come to that realization yet.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,408 posts
Here is what I love, its all hindsight with Cowboys fans. No Cowboys fan was saying the night before the 2007 Divisional playoff game that the Cowboys had dumb players.

Tony Romo is a good player, but to compare him to Manning is just silly at this point. Obviously its a team game, but just as obviously the QB is the most influential player on a football team. By a wide margin. To say that Romo hasn't won because of his teammates is to just be ignorant to Romo's career.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts

Not to interrupt your little pow-wow (in which I actually don't think there's a huge difference between Romo and Manning. Though I would take Eli).

But I wanted to go on record saying that Peyton won't be a Colt next year. Healthy or not. I don't think many people in Indy have come to that realization yet.

Surprised Lucas' , I thought That you had been Roped into The Absurd notion That Manning and Luck would Coexist

But I glad to See that you're Not that Foolish

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,408 posts
Fact is that neither player has played on great teams, the Cowboys in 07 and Giants in 08 were both very consistently good all year but aren't going to be confused with Lombardi's Packers. In my opinion the overall talent level of the 2 teams over their careers is pretty even. To be fair the Giants have had one very good coach while the Cowboys had Wade Phillips and now a young Jason Garrett and that does help Eli. Here is the thing though, both QBs have played on teams that for the most part have been good enough to make the playoffs and make a run or have a bad year and finish around .500. The facts prove this out, since becoming a full time starter hes never gone below .500. The same is mostly true for Romo other than his disasterous 1-5 record in 2010 as a starter. Both QBs have made the playoffs a few times and missed a few times. Eli has made it 5 times in his 7 years as a starter. Romo 3 times in 5 years if you dont count 2010 where he played less than half the season.

So you have 2 QBs who IMO have played on similarly talented teams who make the playoffs more often than not. So what can you really rate them on, what differentiates the players? What they do when they get there. What has Romo done? Well the Cowboys are 1-3 in his playoff games. Lets look at them each.

2006 Wild Card at Seattle. He played reasonably well for a QB in his first playoff game. As a QB he gave his team a chance to win. Its not really fair to hold the botched snap on the kick against him as QB. For a 1st time playoff starter he did fine.

2007 Divisional Round vs Giants. He didn't play well in this game. Was it a disaster? No, but certainly not one for the record books. He played poorly to be fair.

2009 Wild Card vs Philadelphia. He played very well in this game, can't take it away. But its not like it was a tough, hard fought game. The Cowboys killed him. But still give credit where due, he did a good job.

2009 Divional Round at Minnesota. Almost impossible to even judge. The Vikes killed the Boys so badly and put so much pressure on him that its not even fair to say he played poorly. He had no chance.

Now, look at Eli. To preface it Ill freely admit that Eli has played awful in some playoff games, but has played great in others.

2005 Wild Card vs Carolina. First playoff start, played very poorly. The whole team did but certainly Eli was as guilty as anyone in this debacle.

2006 Wild Card vs Philadelphia. Played reasonably well, led a game tying drive late in the 4th quarter only for the defense to blow it even later in the 4th.

2007 Wild Card at Tampa. Played very well, completed 75%, 2 TDs, 0 INTs. Very efficient performance.

2007 Divisional Round at Dallas. Again played very well, this time completing 2/3 with 2 TDs and no INTs.

2007 Conference Title Game at Green Bay. In absolutely brutal conditions he played great. No QB would put up pretty numbers in these conditions but Eli flat got it done.

Super Bowl 42 vs New England. Played great, especially in the 4th quarter with 2 4th quarter TDs and ofcourse the great final drive. Won MVP.

2008 Divisional Round vs Philadelphia. Played very poorly. Can't defend him at all. Was awful.

2011 Wild Card vs Atlanta. Played well in a game that wasn't in doubt in the 4th quarter. A comparable performance to Romo's 2009 playoff game against Philly.

2011 Divisional Round at Green Bay. We all just watched this game. He played great.

So again, you can say its about team but the fact is that Manning has played great in several playoff games. Not one fluky great performance but many. In fact over his last 7 playoff games hes played very, very well in 6 of the 7. Will Romo ever have playoff games like this? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact is that when comparing the players it's not fair to Eli to put someone like Romo who has maybe played 1 good playoff game in his life anywhere near a guy who has played great in several of them. And yes, its a team game and the team has gone 6-1 over their last 7 playoff games. But Eli has played great in every single one of those 6 victories.And he deserves the credit for that.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Winners Win - Losers Choke

Romo Chokes
  • ShadowDog +1 this

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,484 posts

Surprised Lucas' , I thought That you had been Roped into The Absurd notion That Manning and Luck would Coexist

But I glad to See that you're Not that Foolish

Oh HELLLLLLLL no. I've been on that bandwagon from the get go.

Not only is there no reason to think they could co-exist as individuals (you can't sit Luck 3 years for both financial reasons and talent reasons. Manning is notorious for taking every first team rep available so it would literally be a waste of Luck to have him on the team) the idea that you can have 35 million+ in quarterbacks on your roster is just ****ing stupid. If you plan on keeping Manning on March 8th, you cannot draft Luck. That puts the team in salary cap hell for the duration of Manning's contract so not only can you not compete under Manning, you waste 3ish years of Luck.

I still believe that with a healthy Manning your best option is trading the pick. If Manning is anything less than 90% you have to cut him and take Luck. There is no combination of the two that will work.