Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

And the name of the live-action series will be...

77 replies to this topic

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Shaken. Not purred.

• Members
  • 5,166 posts
:unimpressed:

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*
  • Guests
What?

I think my opinion is fair. This series is not going to be made. It was announced... what.. 7 years ago? Nothing has been done on it since then, except supposedly episodes were written, which I sorta doubt.

I don't really buy the monetary reasons. There is still a market out there for big budget TV. Take Game of Thrones for instance; that has a budget of up to $10 million per episode, and it went from announcement to pilot in less than 4 years. And a sprawling fantasy epic series based on dictionary-sized books with multiple plotlines had to have been a harder sell for investors than this.

Which leads me to believe that either Lucas is a) being completely unrealistic in the amount of money required; b) couldn't sell any investors on this; or c) he just doesn't really give a sh-t.

I'm leaning on C. If his heart was really in it, the series would be out by now. One episode of Game of Thrones costs as much as the entire budget of the first Star Wars film.. and sure, I understand there's been significant monetary inflation.. but the point I'm making is, back then, Lucas went from script to opening night in the period of, at most, 3 years, on a shoestring budget.

Lucas doesn't have the hunger anymore, and he probably hasn't since the early 80s. This shouldn't be news to anyone. And that's fine, but there's no point in getting all worked up about a series that's not gonna happen.

Edited by Letsgo_7_7, 27 June 2012 - 07:27 AM.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• Moderators
  • 27,174 posts
Kind of a lot of talk about something that's never going to be made.
  • El Chalupacabra +1 this

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
Welcome to nightly.net

Yeah, I still would like to see a budget breakdown for an episode. I think the problem is George wants to produce it all in-house, effects included, which would be ILM.

ILM is the best for sure, but also the most expensive. One fx sequence from them costs as much as the budget for some entire movies. That way is being abandoned by studios-- take Skyline for example. Terrible movie, but a lot of effects done mostly by one small boutique company. District 9 and Monsters, both films from fx guys who did the preliminary work on their home computers.

George likes to talk about going indy, but he doesn't know how to spend. Ironic given ILMs foundation was a bunch of dudes in a warehouse in Van Nuys doing groundbreaking stuff because they had to make it up as they went.
  • NumberSix and Ryn +1 this

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*
  • Guests

Kind of a lot of talk about something that's never going to be made.

Oh god... so clever! Well done Exodus, you tw-t.

My "lot of talk" isn't about the series. I'm not the one bitching back and forth about the "tone" and the "title" and the "OMG is this gonna water down star wars!?!?!!?!," of something that hasn't even entered production, that is going on 7 years of non-progress, that is, as it stands now, probably just a few thoughts running around in Lucas' head or, at most, a few scribbles on a page of notebook paper.

My "lot of talk" is about you guys. Mainly- criticizing you guys, and explaining why it's absurdly silly to argue about something that will likely not exist, supposedly coming from a man who stopped caring about this sh-t decades ago. It's like two people debating over which 2012 apocalypse theory is the more likely one. How about- you are both retarded?

Edited by Letsgo_7_7, 27 June 2012 - 10:04 AM.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Grand Master Whango Mittphool

• Members
  • 33,097 posts
Um, Star Wars Detours is supposed to be the Seth Green-Matt Seinreich comedy show. Not the live action show.

Also, Kathleen Kennedy is now co-chair of Lucasfilm so with her involvement, who knows what might happen with the live action show.

Edited by Mara Jade Skywalker, 27 June 2012 - 10:13 AM.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,256 posts
There's actually still debate about the fact that this is never going to be made? LMFAO

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

• Members
  • 33,097 posts
Considering that for years my friend told me that the prequels would never be made, I don't feel silly erring on the side of caution. :)

Edited by Mara Jade Skywalker, 27 June 2012 - 11:02 AM.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
I don't get why it HAS to be live action. TCW has to wrap at some point soon, just let the production team tackle the scripts written for the TV series.
  • The Human Torch and Wally Q +1 this

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts

I'm leaning on C. If his heart was really in it, the series would be out by now. One episode of Game of Thrones costs as much as the entire budget of the first Star Wars film..

Are we counting inflation? Because $10M cost more back in the 70s than $10M today so they aren't exactly the same.

Edited by Wally Q, 27 June 2012 - 10:19 PM.

Exodus

Exodus

• Moderators
  • 27,174 posts

My "lot of talk" is about you guys. Mainly- criticizing you guys, and explaining why it's absurdly silly to argue about something that will likely not exist, supposedly coming from a man who stopped caring about this sh-t decades ago. It's like two people debating over which 2012 apocalypse theory is the more likely one. How about- you are both retarded?

Your self-righteous opinion is duly noted, though the fact that you bothered with this post when you clearly don't care as much as those who are actually engaged in this discussion just might be equally as "retarded" as you perceive those having this discussion to be.

Zerimar Nyliram

Zerimar Nyliram

Dude

• Members
  • 2,331 posts
My shtick has less to do with whether or not I think it'll be made, and more to do with me not wanting it to be made.

Exodus

Exodus

• Moderators
  • 27,174 posts
It's not like you have to explain youself bro, this forum is here to discuss these things without somebody labeling everyone a retard.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo / Robin in Alaska

• Members
  • 33,335 posts

I don't get why it HAS to be live action. TCW has to wrap at some point soon, just let the production team tackle the scripts written for the TV series.

Yes!

Also have them make a Shadows of the Empire animated film with the cast returning for the voices. Well, Hamill at least.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,560 posts
Shadows. Ugh.
  • Mara Jade Skywalker +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Shaken. Not purred.

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

Yes!

Also have them make a Shadows of the Empire animated film with the cast returning for the voices. Well, Hamill at least.

I don't think SOTE would be as good as a film, as it was a video game\book. I used to like it, but like a lot of EU, I don't think it has stood the test of time very well.

I doubt this would ever get made anyway, but if they were to do a CGI series based on Luke, Han, and Leia, I would prefer them to do the time period between ANH and TESB, with all original stories, just like they did with The Clone Wars. That was supposed to be 3 years, just like in between AOTC and ROTS. Not only could they use Hamill, but they could use the voice actors who portray Obi Wan and Anakin (now as Vader), but Padme (as Leia in this series), and probably a lot others, too. I wouldn't mind if some characters in SOTE or other media during that era popped up, too.
  • The Human Torch +1 this

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

• Members
  • 33,335 posts
El... that's a cool idea. I'm totally in. Now if only I was George and not a day dream believer.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Shaken. Not purred.

• Members
  • 5,166 posts
Yeah, well, unfortunately, Lucas inexplicably hates the Original Trilogy, so the chances of it happening are about the same as (to quote Game of Thrones) when "the sun rises in the West, and sets in the East."

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

• Members
  • 33,097 posts
Haha, if something like that happened, I would love to see the fanboy rage about all the EU during that time period being blown to pot.

I've said it many many many many many times before and I'll say it again: X-WING SERIES.
  • Ryn and Exodus +1 this

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*

Guest_Letsgo_7_7_*
  • Guests

Are we counting inflation? Because $10M cost more back in the 70s than $10M today so they aren't exactly the same.

I agree. That's why immediately following that sentence I wrote: "and sure, I understand there's been significant monetary inflation.. but the point I'm making is, back then, Lucas went from script to opening night in the period of, at most, 3 years, on a shoestring budget."

Your self-righteous opinion is duly noted, though the fact that you bothered with this post when you clearly don't care as much as those who are actually engaged in this discussion just might be equally as "retarded" as you perceive those having this discussion to be.

That's fair.

t-spoon

t-spoon

• Members
  • 295 posts

I honestly don't see the point in doing a live action show when you have something like Clone Wars on the air. Perhaps it's because some people still believe that animated show = kids show?

I keep hearing about how great The Clone Wars is, but the little I've seen of it just screams otherwise (that ridiculously terrible narrator immediately springs to mind). Can you recommend a particular episode for me to check out?

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

• Members
  • 33,097 posts
From Season 3, I really enjoyed the Nightsisters arc and the Citadel arc. From the past season, I really enjoyed the Obi-Wan undercover arc. The Umbara arc was also interesting, if you like the clones.

And I like the narrator, because it's Tom Kane and he's awesome.

Nightsisters arc (if you like Sith):
Nightsisters
Monster
Witches of the Mist

Citadel arc (a classic Star Wars adventure):
The Citadel
Counterattack
Citadel Rescue

Umbara arc (for fans of the clones):
Darkess on Umbara
The General
Plan of Dissent
Carnage of Krell

Obi-Wan Undercover arc (another classic adventure; lots of Anakin/Vader foreshadowing):
Deception
Friends and Enemies
The Box
Crisis on Naboo

Hope that helps!
  • Exodus +1 this

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
The narrator is cheesy on purpose, he's emulating a newsreel announcer from the 1930s, the sorts of newsreels shown before the serials that Star Wars and Indiana Jones were inspired by.
  • The Human Torch and Wally Q +1 this

t-spoon

t-spoon

• Members
  • 295 posts
Yeah I get that, but it's still god awful and does not achieve the intended effect.

Thanks Mara, I'll check some of those out.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

• Members
  • 33,335 posts
Whether it achieves the intended effect I guess is open to interpretation. I think it's rad.

Reply to this topic