Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grimm vs Once Upon A Time

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,418 posts
It's time once again to compare two new shows who play in the same playground!

Premise:

Grimm: A cop with a magical bloodline has to battle fairy tale creatures in the modern world.

Once Upon A Time: A woman with a magical bloodline has to deal with fairy tale creatures in the modern world.

Show Runner Pedigree:

Grimm: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Once Upon A Time: Lost

What They're Ripping The Hell Off:

Grimm: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Once Upon A Time: Comic book series Fables

Grades:

Action:

Grimm: A The protag kicks ass every week.

Once Upon A Time: C There's action in the fairy flashbacks but none yet in the modern world.

Characters:

Grimm: B- The protag's okay, his partner's okay, the wolf sidekick is awesome, the evil (?) boss is awesome, the Big Bad is pretty good so far.

Once Upon A Time: A+ Top marks all around, as you'd expect for a team with a Lost background.

Humor:

Grimm: B The sidekick is hilarious but the rest of the humor is sparse.

Once Upon A Time: A Lots of the characters have great lines, ranging from slapstick to snarky to dry.

Mythology:

Grimm: B This is more of a monster of the week kind of show, but there's some cool background so far with the promise of answers at some point. Not sure yet how rich the world is.

Once Upon A Time: A As you'd expect from people coming from Lost, it's deep and it's fascinating.

Outlook:

Grimm: Right now it's on the bubble. The ratings are grim (heh heh) but this IS NBC and it's a Friday night series, so it could survive.

Once Upon A Time: This is a monster (heh heh) hit so far and has already been renewed for a second season.

Overall Grade:

Grimm: B A risk since this could be a once and done series, but it's entertaining and if you were a Buffy fan this could really hit your sweet spot.

Once Upon A Time: A+ Superb new series that's not going to be quickly cancelled, a deep mythology, engaging questions, great sense of humor, and fantastic writing and acting. A must watch if you're into genre shows.

Good God a Bear

Good God a Bear

well ****

• Supporters
  • 7,758 posts
Love them both. As a correction, though, Grimm has been picked up for the full season so its no longer on the bubble.

Mine would be Grimm: B+ and Once Upon a Time: A+. The only thing holding me back from Grimm getting an A is, like you said, it's more of a monster of the week. Would like to see some kind of delve into the Grimm mythology.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Members
  • 14,073 posts
My rating would be Grimm: B- and Once Upon a Time: F

I watched a couple episodes of Once and I was bored out of my mind. But I also found Lost to be incredibly boring.

sudden violence

sudden violence

• Members
  • 543 posts
I actually like both of these shows pretty good; they are different enough that comparing them is kinda pointless, but obviously people are going to since they both deal with fairy tales. I have a feeling NBC is going to try Grimm at another night at some point, so let's hope that it does good enough.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,418 posts

Love them both. As a correction, though, Grimm has been picked up for the full season so its no longer on the bubble.

That's true it has gotten a full season order, but according to the Renew/Cancel Index it's on the bubble for getting another season, so that's what I was going by. As bad as NBC is, though, you never know what the Hell they're going to do.
  • Good God a Bear +1 this

Good God a Bear

Good God a Bear

well ****

• Supporters
  • 7,758 posts
Gotcha. I understand what you meant now. A big :drool: in honor of you...

sudden violence

sudden violence

• Members
  • 543 posts
Looks like they are gonna at least try Grimm out on another night:

http://news.yahoo.co...-171444627.html

If it does even remotely better than what it gets on Friday, expect it to be moved. NBC's hits are few & far between, & this starting out on Friday night then becoming a breakout hit will be too big of a Cinderella story to pass up(hehe)!

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Members
  • 29,296 posts
Once Upon a Time: B. The mysteries, the flashbacks, and the slowly expanding cast are building an intricate little world with plenty of gray levels to explore within the good-versus-evil big picture. I admit my opinion has improved as the more recent episodes have toned down the hissy catfights between Emma and Mayor Evil Queen. For a while I had the feeling I was being suckered into watching ABC's heir apparent to Desperate Housewives. I also wish they'd keep the focus on fairy tales in general and knock it off with the cutesy Disney Easter eggs. I was willing to let a single scene with Maleficent slide (because, well, what a scene it was), but this week's episode drove me to distraction as I tried to recall which public-domain fairy tale had a Dalmatian named Pongo. On the other hand, it wrapped up with that glorious scene in which Dr. Hopper finds his spine and makes Mayor Evil Queen blanch, so I consider the scales balanced for now.

Grimm: C-plus. A lot of work obviously shows in the effects, action sequences, and general production design; not nearly so much in the backstory and characters. All I know about Our Hero so far is he's a cop with a secret legacy, he has a woman, and there's a good chance he's Caucasian. I'm patiently waiting for this to improve in much the same way that I patiently and successfully waited for Angel (which this show really seems to want to be), but so far the Big Bad Wolf has won the most episodes. Runners-up: DS9's Nana Visitor as a queen bee and pro creepy-guy Patrick Fischler (whom I've also caught on Angel, Mad Men, and Bones) as a weregoat hotelier. More notable guests like that, and I won't need to care about whether or not Our Hero has a first or last name.

Edited by NumberSix, 01 December 2011 - 09:43 PM.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,418 posts
Dr. Hopper (tee hee, get it?) in that last scene was AWESOME! I was really glad to see his balls drop.

Hmm, it looks like we have enough people watching each show to actually have threads for them. I wasn't sure that would be the case.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Grand Master Whango Mittphool

• Members
  • 33,182 posts
I haven't watched Grimm, but I LOVE Once Upon a Time. It's been a long time since I've watched an episodic television series as it's aired, and I'm really, really enjoying it. I just hope it stays as good.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Members
  • 29,296 posts

mm, it looks like we have enough people watching each show to actually have threads for them. I wasn't sure that would be the case.

We have a Grimm thread, but no one's using it. I thought about starting one for OUaT, but couldn't get a kickoff post to gel in my head.

Joey Ramone

Joey Ramone

never forget

• Members
  • 11,575 posts
I have both these shows on my DVR but haven't watched one episode.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,518 posts
There is a lot of hype for Once Upon a Time at Disneyland. Lenticular posters, flyers etc. The marketing has worked I think I'll check it out.

Iceheart

Iceheart

your argument is invalid

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 19,209 posts

I watched a couple episodes of Once and I was bored out of my mind. But I also found Lost to be incredibly boring.

I LOOOOOVED Lost, but after two weeks of Once Upon A Time I gave up. It's way, way too slow.

I lasted through a half an episode of Grimm before I turned the channel. Again, too slow, and I just wasn't impressed by the acting.

I'm sure most of you just fell off your chairs. Yes, these two shows are right up my alley. I think I'd like them both if they were better paced.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,638 posts

My rating would be Grimm: B- and Once Upon a Time: F

I watched a couple episodes of Once and I was bored out of my mind.

Yes, all around. The last episode of Grimm was probably my favorite yet, so if they can make more at that level, I'd bump them up to a solid "B". The main character still needs serious work, though.

The other show, though? Ugh. I couldn't even make it through the first episode. My wife and kids watched it, too. The kids lost interest quickly. My wife thought the show was "okay" and still watches it, so I've seen more than I want to. Further viewing hasn't changed my opinion in the slightest. Ugh.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 28,445 posts

I LOOOOOVED Lost, but after two weeks of Once Upon A Time I gave up. It's way, way too slow.

I lasted through a half an episode of Grimm before I turned the channel. Again, too slow, and I just wasn't impressed by the acting.

I'm sure most of you just fell off your chairs. Yes, these two shows are right up my alley. I think I'd like them both if they were better paced.

HAHA! I did the SAME thing! 2 episodes of OUaT and half of Grimm. I'm thinking about going back to OUaT based on the reviews I see here though.

Iceheart

Iceheart

your argument is invalid

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 19,209 posts
Twins!

I think OUaT might suffer from commercials and breaks between episodes. I might rent the dvds when they're released, and see if my theory holds. I had to watch Lost on dvd before I "got" it, too.

Good God a Bear

Good God a Bear

well ****

• Supporters
  • 7,758 posts
I'm starting to get a little aggravated with Grimm. When he is actually going to get around to actually be a Grimm? I'm sick of the 'He's a Grimm' yet he does nothing excpet be a cop.

Gog

Gog

Science over myths

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
I find Grimm reminds me of the first couple of seasons of Supernatural, which is great. I'm liking Once Upon a Time too, although I find Snow White in the real world to be quite, how can I put this gently, ugly.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,418 posts
Yeah, they definitely went with acting talent over looks for Snow White.

Agreed about Grimm and Supernatural. I think Grimm has the potential to be as awesome as Supes, but as stated above the dude needs to start Grimming some ****. Or something. Give me something, damn.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 28,445 posts
Ginnifer Goodwin is totally adorable with hair, must be the haircut.

Attached Thumbnails

• imagesCA4OUS25.jpg
  • imagesCAPAZXCP.jpg

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Members
  • 14,073 posts
He works as is, but he needs to have someone pushing him to be different.

creamtuff

creamtuff

Awesomesauce.

• Members
  • 2,070 posts
I have considered starting Grimm, since it is on On Demand I can catch up, but I refuse to watch Once Upon a Ripoff... I mean Time... out of priciple.

ABC bought the rights to a TV show version of Fables (an EXCELLENT comic series by Bill Willingham), which has been running for years and has a similar enough plot to the show ABC decided to run instead that many people (myself included) feel that Once Upon a Time may have ripped off Fables. Willingham doesn't agree (see article here: http://tv.ign.com/ar.../1213926p1.html), so I can let that one slide a bit, BUT I also have issue with the idea that ABC may have bought the rights to Fables in order to quash a show based on the comics from being produced. I am too much of a fan of Fables that I can't, in good conscience, watch Once Upon a Time.

I know that comics are the hot thing to pull from for movies and shows these days and that stations and production companies are buying up rights to comic stories left and right (sometimes before a series has even finished printing, such as in the case of Kick Ass), but to buy the rights to something JUST to quell it, well, that just pisses me off. :angry:

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,418 posts
Even if it was a ripoff, at least they paid money to the creators of Fables (who themselves "ripped off" the creators of the original fairy tale stories, of course), which can NOT be said for the mofos who did The Matrix, who ripped the HELL off of Jack L. Chalker's "Wonderland Gambit" series of novels. The HELL. And unlike Willingham, Chalker actually called them out about it on his blog.

Not that two wrongs make a right, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Anyway, back to your point, I'm a HUGE fan of the Fables series. Huge fan. I've read every issue up to this point. And I've seen every episode of Once Upon A Time. The only thing those two creative works have in common is the fairy tale background. That's IT. This would be like saying The Vampire Diaries ripped off the Dracula novel because they're both about vampires.

I'm not trying to talk you into watching the TV show because I don't give a crap if you do or not, I'm just stating my opinion as somebody who's read every Fables and watched every Once episode.

creamtuff

creamtuff

Awesomesauce.

• Members
  • 2,070 posts
I hear what you are saying, SD, and I did say in my post that I could let the "ripoff" thing go. You make excellent points in that regard, and Willingham's opinion on the matter counted for something with me, but my real issue is with ABC buying up rights to Fables, then holding those rights while releasing a show similar enough that it would have at least been rivaled by Fables. That is my biggest problem with it.

And you don't have to qualify your opinions with me, SD. While I may not always agree with you, I'll always respect your opinion for what it is, and I do enjoy hearing what you have to say. Opposition is the mother of good discourse, after all. ;)