Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stupid NBA

• Please log in to reply
587 replies to this topic

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

trained in gorilla warfare

• Supporters
  • 31,761 posts
...and yourself miserable

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
If you feel that way, then you need to chime in on the "Linsanity" thread. We need the perspective of "one of you people". lol

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
Hey, good news: Kobe Bryant got a broken nose and a concussion on that same foul. Since it was a two-for, I guess that makes him and Wade even, now!

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,412 posts
Must read oral history on The Brawl: http://www.grantland...y-malice-palace

It started with the classification of high school basketball, then Peyton and the Colts, The Brawl effectively murdered basketball in Indiana. It's the reason people still aren't showing up for an immensely likeable 22-12 squad with the third best record in the conference. It's sad. I'll always be convinced it cost us a championship either that year or the next.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• Moderators
  • 27,158 posts

Hey, everybody - I just discovered that NBA League Pass is doing another week-long free preview!

Tune in now to watch the Warriors v Pacers game and make Ex and Jason happy. ;)

If its quality basketball, I'd give it a shot.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts
God, I wish they'd just break the Blazers up right now. LaMarcus Aldridge has all the talent in the world and a super smooth offensive game, but he's no leader. You can't build a team around a "leader" who never speaks. Nic Batum has the talent to be a turbo-charged Tayshaun Prince, but only plays like it when he's feeling confident or pissed off. Gerald Wallace only plays well at home. Other teams have figured out Wesley Matthews, and he hasn't added anything to his game. Their center is nearing 50 years old and they don't have a true point guard. They are just painful to watch most of the time... but they're also just good enough to tread water near that 8th-spot in the west.

They have a ton of expiring contracts. I wish they'd just tank the rest of the season, pray on the lottery and start over.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts
And wtf is up with the Knicks?

I can totally accept losses to Chicago, San Antonio, Dallas, and Boston, but what's with their "withering" against the Bucks and 76ers? A team with as much talent as the Knicks, if it has any heart at all, would have taken their frustration out on those two teams and just throttled them.

Exodus

Exodus

• Moderators
  • 27,158 posts
Chemistry...cliched, but this is an example of why the term is used so much. You can't have such talented players as they have and do so poorly unless you're lacking chemistry.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,525 posts
Plus they have an asian point guard. I mean, really? Who ever heard of such a thing? Insanity.

Exodus

Exodus

• Moderators
  • 27,158 posts
Wonder if they make a trade today..?

Exodus

Exodus

• Moderators
  • 27,158 posts
Stephen A. Smith, oh how I love your logic.

Tuesday, you go on ESPN and blame Mike D'Antoni for the Knicks recent woes.

Wednesday, you point the finger at Jeremy Lin and cite his recent D-league stint for the Knicks woes.

IT IS NOT CARMELO ANTHONYS FAULT

D'Antoni + Lin - Anthony = 7 game win streak in February
D'Antoni + Lin + Anthony = 6 game losing streak in March

Looks like only one thing changed from one timeframe to the next. It wasn't Lin. It wasn't D'Antoni. It was the player who ranks 3rd in lowest FG% among team scoring leaders in the league @ .400 barely, trailing only Kemba Walker and Danny Granger apparently.

But don't worry, the Wall Street Journal has the answer...

...the Knicks appear to be doing a very poor job of getting him the best looks. According to NBA-affiliated statistical outlet Synergy Sports, Anthony is second most efficient in the league when shooting as the ball-handler on the pick and roll and 15th best when posting up. But those plays account for just 13.4% and 11.8% of his shots, respectively.

...and that answer is "lets make sure Anthony has the ball in his hands more often!"

Knicks answer: Lets get Mike D'Antoni to be the fall guy and get him out the door. This will fix EVERYTHING. Maybe now Melo will play point forward and dribble the clock down some more before clanking some more fadeaway 3's off the back iron.

Looking forward to seeing how the dealine plays out today.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts
Nice day in Blazerville.

I like Nate, but he didn't seem to be able to work with players (especially point guards) who didn't fit his mold, and it was painfully apparent he was no longer being listened to by most of his team. I hope he stays in coaching -- I do think he can learn from this -- and I wish him well, but it was time to go.

Now, hopefully the Blazers lose every single game for the rest of the season, while my fingers are crossed that New Jersey gets the 4th pick!

:thumbsup:

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Here is the thing about Dantoni and Melo. Dantoni is stubborn. Melo has the talent to lead the league in scoring in any given year. You don't just make him a cog in your offense. You have to feature him some. That doesn't mean you can't run you pick and roll motion offense most of the time, but you have to feed Melo some. Just like you have to feed Amare. You have to adjust your system to fit the personnel.

For instance when Phil Jackson went to LA everyone was like "how is this gonna work? you cant feature Shaq in the low post in the triangle". Well they tweaked it to feature Shaq and he got his 25 a game out of it.

Thats what had to happen here. In Danotis system the three for the most part sits outside the arc and takes open three pointers. Using Melo that way is a complete and utter waste of his talent. Its on Dantoni to figure out a way to highlight Melo.

Thats not to say Melo is not at fault, he is. But this is a players league. No player of Melo's stature is going to be ok just being a cog in the offense. Any player of that caliber is going to want to be featured at least part of the time.

Today after practice Amare said that they were practicing plays that featured him and Melo in situations where they liked to have the ball. What a novel concept, feature your best players and give them the ball where they want it.

And lastly on Lin, people are off that bandwagon way too fast. In March he is averaged 14.7 PPG, 7.1 APG, 2.4 SPG and his turnovers are down to 4.1. The only issue is his shooting is down. But every player has shooting slumps. Id be willing to bet he will start shooting better. Plus last night was a blowout where he only got 6 and 6. Hes been at about 16 PPG and 8 APG even post "Linsanity". He was never going to keep averaging 24 and 10, everyone knew that. But a player who is essentially a rookie and playing more minutes than ever to still average 15 and 7 and have it be called a slump is pretty good. I stil think he will settle into 16-18 PPG and 8-9 APG. Which is a borderline All Star.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts
Good post. Totally agree on Lin, too. He's a second-year point guard -- really, almost a rookie, considering how little he's played.

He may never have a 20/10 season, but who does? The kid's going to be just fine.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Itll be interesting to see how he plays in this new system. Woodson is a coach who likes to play the 2 man game and likes to have isolation. Hes said he plans to use Melo in the post more. Its going to be about being more efficient now for Lin. If they do feature Melo and STAT they could average 45 between them, maybe more. Lins role may be more to score 13-15 and get 6 or 7 assists. In a system like that you will have less possessions so turnovers are more problematic.

Lastly for Woodson, Id cut teh rotation down a guy. Take Fields out of the rotation. I like the kid, he tries hard but he just doesnt bring enough to the table. Both Shumpert and Smith bring more to the table and by going with 9 men rather than 10 you can get the bench guys who do play a few more minutes each which could help them.

And double lastly about Lin again. Here is what Kyle Lowry has done in March:

16.3 PPG, 4.5 APG, 5.5 RPG, 0.8 SPG, 3.5 TO, 36% FG,

Here is Lin in March:

14.7 PPG, 7.1 APG, 2.7 RPG, 2.4 SPG, 4.1 TO, 40% FG

Pretty darn even. Yet everyone is still talking about how good Lowry is and how Lin has been "exposed". The undrafted kid from Harvard is being held to a higher standard than the #1 overall pick from Duke. Now I understand Lowry is several years younger and I do expect in the end for Lowry to be a better player than Lin. I just find it funny how Lin is being criticized so badly.

Edited by The Choc, 15 March 2012 - 09:23 PM.

Exodus

Exodus

• Moderators
  • 27,158 posts
The media will criticize just as much as they praise those they select to heavily cover.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Well the Knicks have certainly responded to the coaching change with 3 straight blowout wins, 2 of them over a good Pacer team. The funny thing is that since they have been blowouts we haven't really had a chance to see how the team will look. The defense has been fantastic. I know they gave up 100 points in one of the Pacer games but 42 of them were in the fourth quarter when the game was over. Last night the game was close entering the 4th and the Knicks held the Pacers to 14 points. Lin played great last night with 19 pts, 7 reb and 6 assists with only 2 turnovers.

Way too soon to think this is a permanent change but hey 3 wins is 3 wins.

Exodus

Exodus

• Moderators
  • 27,158 posts
Indeed. They could just as easily lose the next three, having lost six in a row after winning seven in a row.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
The Suns have finally made it over .500 and I would greatly appreciate it if some teams could start handing Houston some losses. Or, if Ex would prefer, Utah a bunch of losses. Either way, being stuck in this middle-of-the-road limbo is much easier to swallow when you at least make it to the post-season (even if you're not there too long). Steve Nash's loyalty isn't going to earn him a championship ring, but it should at least let him be on a playoff team!

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Wow, the Knicks laying it on the Magic here!!! Running the offense through Melo in the post and dominating. With Amare out the Knicks have gone to a smaller lineup with Melo at the 4 and its suited them. Chandler is enough of a presense at the 5 to allow the Knicks to be small elsewhere. Barring an epic collapse the Knicks will move to 9-1 under Woodson with most of the wins being by large margins and several wins over teams they are competing with in the East. Still holding out hope we can win the Atlantic and get the 4 seed.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,412 posts
Couple days after waxing the Heat at home, the Pacers go get throttled in Jersey.

Yeah that makes total sense. :rolleyes:

Exodus

Exodus

• Moderators
  • 27,158 posts
As a supporter of everything the Pacers are doing right now, that one hurt to watch. I wouldn't worry too much about that loss though.

I've wanted to see, like on TV, how Barbosa is being integrated. Haven't had such an opportunity just yet.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,412 posts
Barbosa has been great thus far. Really adds a scoring punch to the second unit. I think the Pacers are the deepest team in the league and that has made up for the talent differential between starting fives in a few games.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Knicks are a completely different team under Woodson, play so much harder. Melo has become the player we traded for. Since he's been here they've had one bad performance, against Toronto. They also lost in Atlanta but it was just a tough game. I don't think there is enough time to get out of the 7/8 spot (and thus a realistic chance at a 1st rd win) but I really hope they keep Woodson. With the effort they play with now, you bring Lin and Amare back in and we may ahve something cooking.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,412 posts
If the Knicks played the Pacers every round of the playoffs they'd win the championship. This is ridiculous. Without two starters, too.

Pacers need to take advantage of the relatively soft closing schedule and come up with home court in the first round. They aren't going to get to the Finals or anything crazy, but if they don't win a first round series it will be disappointing.