Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stupid NBA

• Please log in to reply
587 replies to this topic

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Well supposedly Crawford is choosing between Portland, New York and Sacramento. Seems obvious he wants NY and if the Knicks could offer the same cash or get a sign and trade done he'd come here. As for the 3 teams, I don't see why hed go to the Kings. I could see Portland because he'd be a good fit for the 2 guard spot. I'd love to see him back in NY, especially if just for money and no players. I guess it comes down to if he is willing to leave about 2.5 mil on the table for New York. Hope he does.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,412 posts
Well the Pacers couldn't land Crawford, and because of a Memphis injury they no longer want to deal Mayo. That leaves the Pacers without a guard that can create his own shot, something they've sorely lacked for a while. I hope this doesn't lead to Bird overpaying Afflalo- but based on what he's done so far, I don't think it will.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Afflalo is good though. In a cap league you never want to overpay for anyone, but Afflalo is a really good player. Supposedly Crawford will only take a one year deal. Portland is offering 5 mil, Knicks 2.5. Don't know what Sacramento is offering.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,412 posts
Pacers offered 2 years 10 million, with an option for FA next summer- surprised he didn't take that.

I'm extra cautious about overpaying though. In the past 6 years I've had enough "good but way overpaid" to last me a lifetime. I'd rather sit on it to be honest. George Hill and Lance Stephenson don't quite combine for Crawford/Afflalo but I think they'd be serviceable enough.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
That's what hes being offered by Portland, according to his agent. Im guessing Sacramento is offering more or else why consider them?

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Knicks supposedly looking at Reggie Williams in the case Crawford signs elsewhere. This is a guy who can flat out score. Last year averaged 9 a game in only 20 minutes. As a rook he averaged 15 in about 30. So scores about a point every other minute. To be honest if the Knicks can get him for vets minimum and then give their mini exception to Shawne Williams. That would be preferable to signing Crawford with the mini exception.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
Portland may also (surprisingly) be willing to take a step back and get rid of Gerald Wallace, in order to build for the future (even though their present isn't too bad).

http://espn.go.com/n...t-dwight-howard

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts
Wojnarowski says it's dead.

I have mixed feelings about seeing Portland rebuild. Aldridge showed last year that when the offense runs through him, he's a beast -- unstoppable from 20' in. He averaged something like 25 a game as the focal point -- with ease, and despite Portland's slow pace. So of the three pillars Portland was supposed to build their dynasty around (Oden, Roy, and Aldridge), he is the only one who has exceeded expectations. But as soon as Roy came back last year, he started doing the second banana thing again. For all his talent, he just seems too deferential. And while he hasn't peaked as a player yet at 26, is leadership something you can just develop? I have my doubts. Can't build a team around a guy who's more comfortable being the second option.

But man, for those months Roy was out last year, he WAS good...

:eek:

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Well Chris Paul is a Clipper, Gordon, Kaman, Aminu and the Wolves unprotected #1. A good haul.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
Not happy that they couldn't hold onto Eric Gordon, both as a fantasy owner and an NBA fan. Some experts think this will increase Gordon's fantasy value, now that he'll be basically all that his team has. I was thinking that he'd better with all the open shots he would have gotten with defense's having to worry about Paul and Griffin.

Similarly, adding Paul to Griffin and Gordon would have given them a great trio. Now? Well, Paul is certainly a step forward, but losing both Gordon (who's just coming into his own) and Kaman (who's always been underrated) is a significant step in the other direction. So, when it comes to a sum total, I'm not sure the Clippers are that much further ahead from what they were. I was hoping they could actually compete with the Lakers, et al, but all I think this did was make them a playoff contender, at best.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Well its only a matter of time before Paul breaks his leg or something if he's going to the Clippers.
  • Pong Messiah +1 this

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
Posted Image

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• Moderators
  • 27,158 posts
Clippers have Jordan @ center to fill in for Kamen, and he played very nicely (especially on defense) next to Griffin last season.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,412 posts
I think the Clippers got fleeced. The CP3/Blake NBA Jam dunkfest will still be nice to watch for a time, but in the end I don't think they'll have anything to show for it.

Would be great if this results in Gordon in a Pacers jersey in the future. He's a RFA this coming summer and then unrestricted after that.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts

but in the end I don't think they'll have anything to show for it.

Probably not. But maybe it's by design? Sell a boatload of tickets and get more than one television deal this year (hey, I know I'll be watching!), then let everybody walk and save a bunch on salaries. Sure sounds like a Clipperesque plot to me...

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
Don't forget, though (like I had), that they signed Caron Butler, too. If he's healthy and Billups decides to play, they will certainly be better and deeper than they were. If Griffin presumably develops further, they might actually go somewhere.
  • Pong Messiah and Exodus +1 this

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
And this just in, Dwight Howard's an idiot. Two days ago, he did an interview for NBA TV in which he started a sentence with, "I told the Magic I want to be traded" and then finished the same sentence with, "I love Orlando and there's no other place I want to be". Today brought a post-practice interview done entirely in singsong, in which the 26 year old Howard sounded more like a 10 year old child. Add in that the Magic made a poor trade (to aquire Glen Davis) simply to try and make Howard happy, after Howard complained that he wasn't also the Magic's GM.

Idjit.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts

Don't forget, though (like I had), that they signed Caron Butler, too. If he's healthy and Billups decides to play, they will certainly be better and deeper than they were. If Griffin presumably develops further, they might actually go somewhere.

That'd be nice to see. Clippers have history against them, but it'd be great to see them do well. I like both Griffin and Butler. Griffin, because he seems like a nice kid with a ridiculous ceiling, and Butler because he's one of the few "reformed bad guys" in sports whose walk matches his talk.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts
Crawford is gonna sign with Portland. Looks like Aldridge gets his Christmas wish.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Yeah, the Knicks attempt at Crawford cost them Shawne Williams. As it stands the Knicks still need another guard and a combo forward. Obviously if Baron Davis clears waivers I think he'd be worth a flier for the vets minimum. Lots of thought that perhaps his agents assessment of the injury is to scare off teams. Barring that at guard they are looking at Michael Redd (another flier like Davis, wouldnt expect anything) and Maurice Evans who would be a nice fit I think. Knicks seem to think they need some scoring off the bench, Could accomplish this by signing a scorer or by signing a point guard and putting Douglas on the bench. At forward I could see Troy Murphy. I don't see why he doesn't get more attention. As recently as 09-10 he averaged 14 pts and 10 boards while shooting 38% from three. Signed with the Nets last year and got hurt, was released in the aftermath of the Deron Williams deal, signed with Boston who had enough depth up front where he didn't get minutes. But seems to me he should still be able to play. Anyone know a reason to think he wouldn't be a solid player any more?

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Watched the Knick preseason game today (no really I did). Can't take too much from it obviously although I loved what I saw from Iman Shumpert. He looks like a player. It's funny because when he was drafted the main knock was his shooting. The Knicks said that in his workout he shot well, which put him over the top in terms of the Knicks taking him. The beat writers have all been saying he shot it well in camp thus far. Then in the game today he looked to have a nice shot. Again, can't draw too many conclusions but was pretty good for a 1st impression.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,407 posts
Knicks have officially run out of options today in terms of getting a backup forward with Murphy signing with LA and Oulaw being claimed by Sacto. Out starting frontcourt is great but right now off the bench in the front court we have Jarred Jeffries, Renaldo Balkman, Josh Harrellson and Jerome Jordan. That's just awful. Now Fields is a big enough guy to play minutes at the three but unless the Knicks plan on going small very often Jarred Jeffries is going to be playing far too many minutes.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,408 posts
Should I change the topic to be the 2011 - 2012 NBA season now?

Also Miami is TROUNCING the Mavs.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts
A few days before the first game, McMillan said he wasn't going to coach Wallace. He's got a high basketball-IQ, and his game is so reactive, thinking too much really takes away from his game, so McMillan stepped back and has just "Let Gerald be Gerald." We're only two games in, but it's looking like a brilliant move. He looks like a completely different player than the tentative, jump-shooting defender he became last season.

In Oklahoma, how do you think Westbrook/Durant is going to work out? Is it as bad as the media is making it sound, or are they blowing it out of proportion in order to garner views?

And how 'bout them rookies?

:eek:

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
They're blowing it out of proportion from a POV of team strife. Westbrook does have a massive attitude problem though and is an enormous crybaby. He needs to mature the hell up. I actually agree with his initial gripe. Sefolosha should have taken that open three, though he was probably the wrong guy to say something to him for it considering his own dismal performance to that point. But again, I get just going up to a teammate and saying hey, you need to take that. But for it to piss you off so much that it lingers into a timeout and then a shouting match with another teammate, its just, dude, get some ****ing control.