Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Office: Final Season -- Countdown to Destruction

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,185 posts
Not really interested in upping the old oversized thread. Besides, with Steve Carell, we practically have ourselves a different show. Tonight's episode was cute, but still didn't feel quite right. My son and I have dubbed it The Office DVD Extras: the Series, because it kinda feels like a bonus afterthought in some respects, not unlike those Carell-free webisodes they've fed us every so often.

For those who love SPOILERS, the season premiere taught us the following, all in the first four minutes of the episode:

* As we already knew from entertainment news, Robert California has talked Jo out of the CEO position, and is now the new CEO. He was slightly less creepy tonight, but still abnormal.

* The new Scranton manager is...played by the actor with the second-most successful movie career behind Carell's. By which I mean Andy. No surprise, and therefore no major complaint from me.

* Pam is pregnant with the second Halpert boy. This was also spoiled before the premiere.

* Angela is also pregnant, presumably thanks to Horn-Rimmed Glasses the gay state senator. This part was news to me.

* Gabe is back from Florida. Lord knows why. Everyone still thinks he's lame. The universe is in agreement.

* Dunder Mifflin Scranton has just lost their biggest client (unnamed -- Blue Cross of PA?). Is this the first hint of harder times to come?

* Kevin is somehow not a loser. For this one Robert has some serious explaining to do.

* Planking is dumb. Just in case anyone had evidence to the contrary.

So. Anyone beyond our household still on board?

Edited by NumberSix, 29 October 2012 - 06:58 PM.

Doc Brown

Doc Brown

A Good Person

• Members
  • 1,961 posts
We watched it last night. I agree, a bit strange without Michael. Though, the episode did have some moments.

Still holding out for the season (series?) finale to be at Michael and Holly's wedding.

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• Supporters
  • 17,805 posts
I'd be very surprised if we ever saw Michael again, though the finale would be appropriate. We did, however, get the first mention of Michael since he left when Pam made an unfunny baby joke about her unborn child being Little Michael Scott.

*I do wonder what about Andy made him stand out enough to get him the Regional Manager job since California seems very intense and, somewhat, flighty. Cornell grad? BTW, yes, I did love seeing the manager's office decked out in Cornell garb.

*I was sure California had left the notebook out as a kind of psych test, but it turns out he just left it out on accident and did a bad job of covering for the list.

* I'm not sure what I make of his stirring speech at the end about proving him right or, in some cases, wrong about his admittedly first impressions of each of them. Most of the peanut gallery seemed to accept it...Andy, on the other hand, just has to go overboard.

*And Stanley has had the most consistently profitable sales? Is this different from having the most sales? Because I'd always been under the impression that, while Stanley wasn't a horrible salesman, he certainly came in behind both Dwight and Jim in terms of sales dollars brought in.

* Calfornia's first impression of Dwight was as an unshaven malcontent sitting in Dwight's Cafe Corner in the lobby, arguing with him. Obviously, he got a look at Dwight's sales records first when putting him on the Winners' List.

* Weepy Pam. Meh.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,412 posts
I liked it. The Office is going to have to get truly awful before I stop making excuses for it. Bring it on!

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
I think this is actually the funniest episode they've done in ages. I was burnt out on Michael Scott. As I've often complained they pushed his idiocy to unrealistic levels, and everyone had to match it. Tonight, without him to set the retard bar so high, we were back to a group of neurotic people with a single retard in Kevin. Even Andy was more subdued, more like he was in his first appearances (minus the rage issues). I was rather pleased.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,185 posts

* I'm not sure what I make of his stirring speech at the end about proving him right or, in some cases, wrong about his admittedly first impressions of each of them. Most of the peanut gallery seemed to accept it...Andy, on the other hand, just has to go overboard.

In order for us to buy Andy as the new manager, the rest of the office has to buy him first. His speech proved that, if nothing else, he's at least competent enough to know each of them personally and accurately. I don't think that scene was about the veracity of Robert's list, so much as it was just that necessary big moment justifying why Andy's now in charge of The Office.

*And Stanley has had the most consistently profitable sales? Is this different from having the most sales? Because I'd always been under the impression that, while Stanley wasn't a horrible salesman, he certainly came in behind both Dwight and Jim in terms of sales dollars brought in.

Maybe Dwight's in a slump. Or his building ownership is interfering with his day job. Or Robert is grading on a curve.

Reality

Reality

A Hero Loses Every Day

• Members
  • 9,273 posts
Any ideas on why Toby left the "winner's lunch"? Probably reading into this entirely too much, but was it because they were discussing what kids like about Sesame Street and he hasn't been around his kids? Or like my wife thought, was it because he felt odd being considered in the "winners" group?

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,525 posts
I really, really enjoyed it! Loved how Spader masterminded the whole list thing to make Andy mature as a manager and have everyone in the office see Andy as such. Loved it all... great post-Michael start.

Left siders over here...right siders over there.... NOW ATTACK!!!!!!!!

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
Wow, there's life in the post-Michael Scott OFFICE after all!

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,185 posts

Any ideas on why Toby left the "winner's lunch"? Probably reading into this entirely too much, but was it because they were discussing what kids like about Sesame Street and he hasn't been around his kids? Or like my wife thought, was it because he felt odd being considered in the "winners" group?

The same thing bugged me. I waited patiently, assuming we'd get a punchline explaining why at some point.

Still waiting. Either it's foreshadowing to something bigger in Toby's life, or it was a self-contained flop of a gag.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
Toby running away in a panic from a situation where he was feeling empowered moments before isn't a new thing. Hitting on Pam and the Michael Scott Marathon come to mind.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 18,504 posts

I really, really enjoyed it! Loved how Spader masterminded the whole list thing to make Andy mature as a manager and have everyone in the office see Andy as such. Loved it all... great post-Michael start.

Left siders over here...right siders over there.... NOW ATTACK!!!!!!!!

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was very funny. Both of those. Now, attack. :spit:

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• Supporters
  • 17,805 posts
I have to say that Andy is certainly a very different manager than Michael. Michael would have never gone through with the tattoo.

Spader is growing on me, too.

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• Members
  • 1,924 posts
What was up with the Daryl/ex-wife plot? Was there going to be any follow up to it? Or is just another deleted scene?

Last week, Gabe was back and we never had an explanation why, however it was a deleted scene. I fully understand that some scenes need to be deleted for time, for structure, because it doesn't fit narratively etc. but I think they're getting a little lazy with their editing now. I'm willing to bet there was a resolution/more to the Daryl storyline but it was deleted for whatever reason, alright fair enough, but if so cut out the whole sub-plot, don't leave it in their half arsed.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,525 posts
Spader is brilliant!! 2/2 from him. "I'm afraid you've lost my interest!"

2/2 for this season!!! Loved this episode. Also, I think Brian Baumgartner is banging a writer because Kevin is getting tons of lines. The cold open was okay, but Kevin saying to Daryll, "Wait, I thought she was a ****and you ****ing hated her guts?"

Also, when Pam said, "It's huge! how much does it weigh?" I was waiting for someone to do a "That's what SHE said!" but alas, no.

And I soooooo want a Saber Pyramid Tablet.

And I hope to hell they don't do a storyline where Robert starts banging Erin.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts

What was up with the Daryl/ex-wife plot? Was there going to be any follow up to it? Or is just another deleted scene?

Last week, Gabe was back and we never had an explanation why, however it was a deleted scene. I fully understand that some scenes need to be deleted for time, for structure, because it doesn't fit narratively etc. but I think they're getting a little lazy with their editing now. I'm willing to bet there was a resolution/more to the Daryl storyline but it was deleted for whatever reason, alright fair enough, but if so cut out the whole sub-plot, don't leave it in their half arsed.

It's not lazy editing, it's completely intentional. They are creating the need and expectation to go to NBC.com to watch extra material because every clip has an ad that plays in front of it which is additional revenue from the show that they don't have time for in their 30 minute slot.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
Oh, and agree 2 for 2. Funny episode. I love Dwight getting in Jim-style camera smirks. Spader is freaking brilliant. So funny.

My only complaint, and it is minor, is Andy. I think he's great as manager, and they've found a way to continue the theme of a clueless boss but without going Michael Scott. But his character has gone through another complete shift. He seems like a totally different person. Like I said last week, I feel like they are trying to combine the O.G. Andy with the goofy person he evolved to. Last week it was working, this week less so.

But I'm still laughing, so not a big deal.

As much as I love Steve Carell I really think it was his presence that was making the show not work for me. I'm glad he knew he had run his course as well.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,185 posts
Much improved over last week's episode. And if the Pyramid only has 50 L of memory, I wanna know how many Schrute Bucks it costs for an upgrade.

If not a deleted scene, it could just be part 1 of a multi-part subplot, same as Angela's ongoing gay-state-senator storyline.

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• Supporters
  • 17,805 posts
And here I thought Daryl was bummed because Justine is a golddigger....

But it was nice to see Andy put on the Boss Hat for a minute and tell him what he did wrong.

Daryl used to be the warehouse foreman, right? He knows how to use the stuff downstairs then, right? So why wasn't Daryl downstairs showing Jim and Co. how to use the stupid forklift and other equipment so they wouldn't lose a huge client that they probably worked their butts off last week to get?

I did, however, love seeing Dwight run the forklift into the building at a much faster speed than Michael would have.

The cold open was cute, but I did a double-take when Dwight starting pouring his drink into the sunroof. All I could think of was, "That is either one leaky sunroof or it's open and they're doing this for nothing".

Lottery winners sometimes do impulsive things, so I do believe the warehouse staff would quit the minute they each won $100, 000. But I also tried to estimate the salaries they were leaving behind and calculate just how long that money would last. Hopefully, the businesses they are investing in work out because lottery winners are notorious for dumping their winnings into money-making schemes that don't pay out.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
i'm diggin this season. surely the show is not the same without michael scott, but i enjoy it just fine.

i happen to enjoy Kevin's increased role in the show. the most enjoyable part of the show, up until this season, was the unbelievably absurd and idiotic comments from michael and clearly Kevin and Erin have taken up that role.

Robert California is a great addition, however i hope they use the character sparingly.

the Lotto episode was rather meh. Daryll's bleek and depressing Mood was offputting and not very funny. overall not a very good episode

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,185 posts
This was another one of those episodes (much like "Did I Stutter?") that felt more like a drama with occasional jokes than a sitcom with occasional serious moments. It's interesting that they felt the need to explain to us exactly why Darryl didn't get the job, but it took him to kind of a dark place. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to bring him back into the light and the funny.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,525 posts

Daryl used to be the warehouse foreman, right? He knows how to use the stuff downstairs then, right? So why wasn't Daryl downstairs showing Jim and Co. how to use the stupid forklift and other equipment so they wouldn't lose a huge client that they probably worked their butts off last week to get?

I think that was the whole point. Daryl was upstairs all depressed upstairs, not doing his job, begging to be fired.

REALLY liked this episode. John directed it, too! I am really digging the ascension of Andy becoming a good manager. Again, Kevin plays a major part in the show, which I find interesting for some reason.

The Stool Sample

The Stool Sample

Sexual Chocolate

• Supporters
  • 5,801 posts

• Ryn +1 this

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

If not a deleted scene, it could just be part 1 of a multi-part subplot, same as Angela's ongoing gay-state-senator storyline.

Yeah I think I was being pretty hasty with that. I just recently watched Season 1 - 7 back to back, and Season 8 is the first time I've watched it on a week by week basis so I think I'm forgetting that not all storylines get resolved straight away, so my bad there.

Have to say, I don't think I am enjoying Season 8 as much as the rest of you though. Feels like it's missing something, and I don't want to say it's because Carell left because they're has still been hilarious episodes and scenes without him. . .more Creed would be nice.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• Members
  • 14,928 posts
The Garden Party episode was one of the funniest I can remember in a good while. I loved the crow that stole Erin's gaudy hat for no reason relevant to the plot whatsoever.