Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2011 NFL Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1069 replies to this topic

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,626 posts

Are these men or children? Do they even want to play the game?

I think they just want to play the game longer :) I lost my entire career playing football in a full-contact two-a-day practice. Was completely unnecessary. You don't need to beat the sh*t out of each other to prep for a game. Conditioning, play awareness and fundamentals are much more important and far less riskier.

Doc Brown

Doc Brown

A Good Person

• Members
  • 1,961 posts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820fb7ca/article/broncos-reportedly-want-to-trade-orton-to-clear-way-for-tebow?module=HP11_headline_stack

Broncos reportedly want to trade Orton to clear way for Tebow

Denver has placed the seventh-year veteran on the trading block, according to the newspaper, and apparently new coach John Fox has decided to go with Tim Tebow, a first-round pick in 2010, as the Broncos' starter.

Can't wait to see some of you haters eat some crow.

THIS is excites me. Welcome to my fantasy football team, Mr. Tebow.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,521 posts

I think they just want to play the game longer :) I lost my entire career playing football in a full-contact two-a-day practice. Was completely unnecessary. You don't need to beat the sh*t out of each other to prep for a game. Conditioning, play awareness and fundamentals are much more important and far less riskier.

Hence the other part of my post. If its the nature of the two-a-day then change that, not the two-a-day itself. It staggers me that pro-players only have one training session a day.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,659 posts

The cancelled Hard Knocks because it isn't hard knocks anymore... the new labor deal stipulates there are no more two-a-days and only limited totals in-pads practices for the entire season. Training camp is mostly only allowed to be walkthrus, very limited pad sessions in comparison to well last season let alone the history of the sport.

Well, that may be a part of it, but even before the lockout, I heard reports that they were having trouble finding teams that wanted to do it. Teams - especially coaches, I think - didn't want the added distractions.

Tex

Tex

• Members
  • 3,344 posts

Sorry things didn't work out for you but don't you think that two a days are crucial to achieving the kind of conditioning you need to mininize late season injuries? That's the vibe I get from a lot of people. I don't necessarily buy into that because I know a lot of these guys are professional enough to stay in the the kind of shape they need to be in, but in today's NFL you can count on a lot of loafers out there. These are the guys who are going to cruise through training camps and likely not be healthy late in the season.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,626 posts

Sorry things didn't work out for you but don't you think that two a days are crucial to achieving the kind of conditioning you need to mininize late season injuries?

Not two-a-days in full gear with full-contact, no. In the second portion of the day, you can get properly educated AND physically conditioned without risking season/career ending injuries.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• Moderators
  • 14,757 posts
I can't wait to see the predictions this year.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,626 posts
I already lost the one prediction I had, which was that Reggie Bush would go to Seattle. Kinda went the exact opposite there...

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,559 posts
If the Dolphins can get good play from their QB (whoever it will be) then they have a solid attack on offense. The things they can do with Bush and Bess underneath coverage and across the middle should be fun to watch... well when they aren't playing the Pats anyway. Although with the way the Pats/Dolphins rivalry is and the way the Pats D was last year the Phins will probably look like an all time offense at least twice this season.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,728 posts
I'm all for the Jets and Dolphins improving as much as possible :D

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,862 posts
Vince Young is not a Eagle. What?

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,659 posts
Relax, it just took awhile to get the deal done. As of an hour ago, Vince Young is now an Eagle - which makes it very convenient, as my two most disliked QBs in the league are now on the same team.

Here's to hoping Lincoln Financial Field can capture some of that old Veterans Stadium magic and blow out a couple of Philly QB knees this year! :devil:

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• Moderators
  • 14,757 posts
Does anyone here expect Cam Newton to be better than a mediocre QB in the NFL? I'm not seeing why he was the first pick.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,728 posts
Same reasons Jamarcus Russell was.

Wait.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,559 posts
Come on now. Newton has more cred to his college career than Russell.

Newton helped his colleges win two college championships (Newton went to 3 colleges, won a championship at 2).
Newton won the Heisman and AP Player of the Year.
Newton is generally considered to be a "winner mentality" with the ability to lead, which most feel he's proven thru his two different college championships.

Russell helped his college win The Sugar Bowl.
Russell got an honorable mentioned as an All-American by Sports Illustrated.
Russell skipped out of college hoping to bank in the NFL and even prior to the draft was considered immature, a tag he lived up to.

Newton's knock is that his father is meddlesome.

Newton's potential is high. The reality? Yet to be displayed.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,728 posts
Christian Ponder will be a better pro than Newton.

Aside from hours his dad, other knocks include bring unable to answer such questions as "name a play from the Auburn offense."

He's very talented, and a great college player, but his skill set is not suited to succeed in the nfl as a qb. He'll never be anything more than a Vince Young type. Probably a similar career arc.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,559 posts
Vince Young was a whiner in college and a whiner in the pros. Vince and Cam have different personalities. Comparing them is comparing Leaf and Manning personality wise.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,659 posts
Hey, I'm all for Ponder having a better career, though! Posted Image

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,728 posts

Vince Young was a whiner in college and a whiner in the pros. Vince and Cam have different personalities. Comparing them is comparing Leaf and Manning personality wise.

Well yo be fair, that much is definitely true.

Tex

Tex

• Members
  • 3,344 posts
I think we should all yo be fair. Just let yo be fair. Like a mountain stream. And let yo be fair. Like the smallet of dreams.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,659 posts
DON'T F*CKING TALK TO ME!!! Posted Image

Tex

Tex

• Members
  • 3,344 posts
Looks like Randy Moss just joined TO and Farve in retirement limbo.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,559 posts
Lofa Tatupu was released from the Seahawks. I prayed to Santa and Superman that he'd be a Patriot, so we'll see. It'd be so cool, his dad was a Patriot from 78 to 90.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,477 posts

Vince Young is now an Eagle - which makes it very convenient, as my two most disliked QBs in the league are now on the same team.

Racist.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,626 posts
I just hope that Vince Young doesn't try to be top dog in Philly. Mike might not like that and well...