Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nightly Summer Blockbuster Prediction Game

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,077 posts

I'll go watch some trailers

This is the only part of that post that sounded like the Mandard we all know and put on a pedestal.

Did something happen between you and movies that we should know about? You two used to be so close.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
I think a lot of people will be wrong about Harry Potter. 270-320 is the range I'd put the film in and if that's enough to be the top of a box office year, then this is going to be a ****ty year for returns. Again, I'm confident in Transformers 2, Cars 2, and Captain America will do surprise business. It's this year's Iron Man/Star Trek.

And my sleeper hit prediction is Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. That's gotten everyone's attention at the showings I've seen the preview play and GDT has a loyal following on top of that.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,339 posts
After seeing the new footage from Green Lantern, I think it could definitely crack the top 10.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
Where's the footage? All I've seen is the new poster.

Nevermind.

Everything looks good except for Ryan Reynolds. I just don't buy him yet.

Edited by Wally Q, 02 April 2011 - 04:05 PM.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,339 posts
It looks way better than Thor. Everything I've seen about Thor just looks ridiculous to me. I saw a trailer for it the other day and was left with the impression of ' I don't even want to watch that on dvd.' It was really pimping the lightning. Something to the effect of ' Other superheros have super strength or super smarts, but only one has the power of lightning!!!1"

If that is their entire marketing strategy, then all is lost.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
Thor has the cast and the director to keep me interested. Holding actual judgment until the film is finished. Green Lantern just looks like it could be a colossal disaster. If I had to guess how either will do box office wise, I see Thor doing Hulk numbers and Green Lantern doing 200.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 39,888 posts

It looks way better than Thor. Everything I've seen about Thor just looks ridiculous to me. I saw a trailer for it the other day and was left with the impression of ' I don't even want to watch that on dvd.'

It had the opposite effect on me, interestingly enough. I had ZERO ****ing interest in seeing a movie about a comic book I'd never read about some lame assed second rate mythological figure. Plus the few times I'd run across still shots of the comic book character he looked cheesy and HELL. So I was all like "miss me, brah."

And then I saw the trailer and was "HOLY ****! This looks AWESOME!"

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Members
  • 14,073 posts
I think that the trailer makes it look disgustingly cheesy, but maybe okay still.

Adventures in Babysitting may still be the best Thor movie ever.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,888 posts

Heh, I kinda wanted to play, but when I looked through the list I realized I had no solid predictions for anything. I just don't follow the movie buzz that closely these days. I've even sworn off movie trailers for the most part so I don't even know what most of these movies look like! I figured I'd just lurk and keep my reputation intact.

Buuuut...since I've been called out I suppose I can put together a list. I'll go watch some trailers and come back later make some guesses but I don't have high confidence in my predictions. Unfortunately, there probably won't be any snooty box office rants this year about how wrong you all are. :P

That's actually depressing news since your movie obsession is about half the reason I even came up with this game. Fortunately a lot of other people seem into it so it wasn't wasted effort, and you would have pwned us in the old days when you were up on this ****. But yeah, man, definitely throw your hat in the ring now that you're back on our level.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,888 posts
My picks:

1) Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
2) Captain America: The First Avenger
3) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
4) Fast Five
5) Cars
6) Super 8
7) Transformers: Dark of the Moon
8) The Hangover 2
9) Cowboys Vs. Aliens
10) Conan The Barbarian

This was a lot harder in practice because I kept arguing with myself. LOL
  • Foxglove +1 this

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
Conan the Barbarian is a flop without Arnold, it isn't the same. And that trailer looked Robert Rodriguez levels of bad. I like the list though but I think Kung Fu Panda 2 will do serious business and is another film which shouldn't be ignored.

Edited by Wally Q, 10 April 2011 - 02:47 AM.

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,546 posts
Transformers
Pirates
Kung Fu Panda 2
Captian America
Harry Potter
Fast Five
Thor
Hangover II
Green Latern
Zookeeper

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Grand Master Whango Mittphool

• Members
  • 32,978 posts
If Something Borrowed wasn't coming out on the same day as Thor, I would say it has the potential to make a lot of money. It's based on a really popular book (one of my favorites, actually), and if it's adapted well, I think women will flock to it (I'm thinking of The Devil Wears Prada). Of course, it could be a horrible adaptation (like Confessions of a Shopaholic) and bomb. Still, I'm going to see it just because I love the book so much.

I know, I'll get out of here with my chick flick/chick lit ramblings.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,888 posts
Last chance to get your predictions in! The deadline is Midnight Thursday (and yes, that's the end of the day on Thursday, not the beginning). Personally, I'm going to be seeing every movie I picked in the theater just to pump up my rankings. Heh.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,077 posts
Forget that! At least one of the films on my list is definitely getting no help from me, and a few of the sequels had better earn some rave reviews, or I'll be more than happy to opt out of joining the cool kids on their opening weekends.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,888 posts
Did I win yet? (okay, I'm just upping this to remind me people the hot hot action starts TODAY.)

Oh, and come on, Mandard! Get in today and you'll still count. This game was tailor made for your ass!

Mandard

Mandard

First Speaker

• Members
  • 21,334 posts
Dammit, quit making me feel bad! Oh fine...

1. HP7-2
2. Transformers 3
3. Cars 2
4. Pirates 4
5. Kung Fu Panda 2
6. Hangover 2
7. Super 8
8. Captain America
9. Fast Five
10. Thor

Pirates 4: $250M

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,339 posts
8 out of your 10 picks include numbers. This is most distressing.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Members
  • 14,073 posts
We need him to change the remaining two.

Doc Brown

Doc Brown

A Good Person

• Members
  • 1,960 posts

8 out of your 10 picks include numbers. This is most distressing.

Mind you, one of them is Super 8.

But still, I've heard there are something like 28 sequels this year. Ridiculous.

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,682 posts
Yes! With Fast 5 doing 83 mil this weekend, my #4 pick is looking GOOD. :D

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,888 posts
Personally, I'm starting to think I picked it too low. Sheesh.

Zombai

Zombai

• Members
  • 21 posts
Transformers 3 will take the cake
Pirates of the Carribean will be close behind
Green Lantern will hold up third

That is what i think.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,888 posts
Here's the up to date results for movies released last Friday.

Fast Five $92,430,005

Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil $4,283,814

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 39,888 posts
$62 million for Thor so far, another $32 million for Fast Five just this weekend. Looking good. :D