Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

We do not accept 100 dollar bills

74 replies to this topic

RelentlessMalice

RelentlessMalice

• Members
  • 828 posts
So earlier my wife and I decided to go and get something to eat and for some weird reason all I had with me today was a 100 dollar bill that I had yet to break for a couple of days. Anyway we went to 5 guys burgers and fries, because they have really good burgers and fries etc.... This place is always busy. It is out the door most of the time. Well when we got there is was kind of empty and so my wife and I order our dinner and it comes to 25 bucks. I hand the cashier the 100 dollar bill and he asks his manager "can we accept this" and the manager looks at him and then looks at me and says "no, do you have anything smaller?"

I tell him no and that was all I had on me. He tells me they can't make change for 100 bucks, so I cancel the order and my wife and I leave. We end up going to Cracker Barrel and they gladly break my 100 dollar bill for me with no problem.

In all my years on this earth this has never happened to me. I hardly have ever paid with a 100 dollar bill for one and second no business has ever said "we can't make change" I might understand if its a business that never gets business, but this place is constantly busy. They actually turned away my business by not making change.

Has this happened to anyone else at other places of commerce?

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
When I worked in Woolworths we wouldn't take £50 notes. Company policy.

They're so rarely used in commerce/retail transactions that there are few/no ways to tell if they are a forgery or not.

Plus it totally ****s with your change reserves

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• Moderators
  • 12,327 posts
Lots of places don't take bills larger than a 20. My own work place included. A lot of places just don't keep enough change to break large bills. Legally, I believe a sign has to be posted stating what bills they cannot take, however.
  • The Maker +1 this

RelentlessMalice

RelentlessMalice

• Members
  • 828 posts
No sign I checked when I left. Its no big deal but you would think a place that is always out the door could make change for 100. Oh well they missed out on a sale and I got me some Pineapple upside down cake at Cracker Barrel. Damn that was good!

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts

When I worked in Woolworths we wouldn't take 50 notes. Company policy.

and look what happened to them.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Members
  • 14,073 posts
Lots of places don't like hundred dollar bills. I'm mainly surprised that you didn't threaten to kill anyone.
  • Tank, Rock and Wally Q +1 this

xdflwr

xdflwr

diet cokehead

• Members
  • 5,143 posts
whenever i have the misfortune of being in possession of a $100 bill, it takes usually a few stops at stores and asking before i can get it off of my hands. that's why i always use it on rent money. it's bizarre that you haven't run into that situation before.

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• Supporters
  • 17,898 posts
https://ustreas.gov/...tender.shtml#q1

There does not appear to be a federal mandate that requires a business to accept a particular form or currency or post a sign stating they don't.

I'm not a fan of the "Where's the Sign?" mentality. A business cannot possibly put up a sign to cover every conceivable situation a customer might come up with.

The only thing I can think of is that they were either having a slow day and didn't have change, don't accept $100 bills as a matter of policy to discourage short-change artists or counterfeiters, or just plain don't want to deal with it.

Iceheart

Iceheart

your argument is invalid

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 19,209 posts
I'm just surprised people still pay in cash.

I get a $100 bill, it gets deposited asap.

Jaycie

Jaycie

Souless Automaton

• Members
  • 11,497 posts
I don't keep $100 on hand because my time as a bank teller made me suspicious of them. So I immediately break it into 20's if I have the misfortune of getting one. It's actually surprisingly common that places don't accept them.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,284 posts

I get a $100 bill, it gets deposited asap.

Same here. I'm rarely in a position to lay hands on a real live $100 bill nowadays. My paychecks are all direct-deposited. I fetch $20 bills from ATMs as needed. I speak to live bankers only when I need to order new checks. Shopkeepers never give me $100 back in change.

When I worked at McDonald's we were allowed to accept a $100 bill, but we either had to run it by the manager first, or go hunt down the one anti-counterfeiting yellow magic marker that four different cashiers had to share. Every $100 bill guaranteed an extra couple minutes' wait for any poor schmucks stuck in line behind that customer. Short-change artists hit us that way more than once, and I know we had at least one counterfeit successfully slip past us.

Customer payment options were limited, though. This was back in the day when fast food joints weren't accepting credit or debit cards yet. Thankfully the Five Guys down the street from us takes both. Very convenient.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,730 posts
As a former fast food manager I would hate the ***hole that had just come from the bank with his freshly cashed paycheck and give me a 100 bill for one taco so he could break it. MFer! ask for small bills at the bank. I ain't your mother f'n bank!

People pay by debit and credit cards now and cash is not so much king. I bet if you had insisted they take that bill you would have emptied the register out and you would have jingled when you went out to your car plus had three months worth of car washes and laudry mat money. I've seen that happen as well too.
  • Ryn +1 this

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
All my $100s are reserved for the pile I have set aside to bone strippers on.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,693 posts
How do people get $100 bills?

I see a lot of tourists, and despite the bizarro-brain-switch that gets tripped when someone goes on vacation, but breaking a $100 by buying $10 worth of goods pisses me right the **** off. Especially since ATMs are everywhere. It's not my responsibility to keep sizable amounts of currency in-till to accommodate your whim.

As a former fast food manager I would hate the ***hole that had just come from the bank with his freshly cashed paycheck and give me a 100 bill for one taco so he could break it. MFer! ask for small bills at the bank. I ain't your mother f'n bank!

People pay by debit and credit cards now and cash is not so much king. I bet if you had insisted they take that bill you would have emptied the register out and you would have jingled when you went out to your car plus had three months worth of car washes and laudry mat money. I've seen that happen as well too.

+1000

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,460 posts
you can bring nme as many 100 bills as you want and I'll make you burgers til the ****ing cows come hiome. I'll even buttfloss with the buns.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

When I worked in Woolworths we wouldn't take 50 notes. Company policy.

and look what happened to them.

Damn! I've been wondering for two and a half years why we went bust and now you've solved it! ;)

RelentlessMalice

RelentlessMalice

• Members
  • 828 posts
As much as I hate this saying back when I was in old jobs in college I will use it for my situation "The customer is always right"

However as we all know who has ever worked in a service industry or customer service business that hardly is ever the case, but we are in the business of making money though.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

TacocaT

• Members
  • 5,274 posts

I only pay cash, except when I charge it. I don't write checks or debit, though I have a check account.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,730 posts
If I had a hundred dollar bill I'd hoard it like a crazy woman scared you are gonna take my money. I'd put it inside my bra and let it get all warm and soft and take it out of its safe place to look at it and marvel I still have a hundred bucks. That's what I would do with a 100 dollar bill. Screw dinner.
  • NumberSix, Rock, groove terminator and 1 other +1 this

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

Infinity welcomes careful drivers.

• Members
  • 20,474 posts
Ms. Spam just turned on EVERYONE who reads this thread.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
First thing I learned after I got my first job - if you only got a hundred, you make the slope take it.

ElfinYoda

ElfinYoda

Oh my god Becky, look at her Big Book...

• Members
  • 7,177 posts
We do not get a "bank" when we start our day and the bookkeeping department will only give us enough change for ALL our registers (20 of them), which is exactly $100. If I were to accept a $100 dollar bill, it would wipe us out of precious change, else we have to go trekking through half the building to get to bookkeeping and hope they can break the bill.

We don't have anti-fake markers to use on $50's or $100 bills, so another reason why we won't take them.

Only time we will take large bills like that is if the lawyer paying for a fee(s) has been black listed to cash only because they bounced checks. And because we only have a few lawyers on that list, it is easy enough for us to keep their monies separate from the other cash we may take in, thus, if we do get a counterfeit bill, we know whose it is.

And there are plenty of places around here that won't take anything larger than a $20. Does not surprise me in the slightest.

Joey Ramone

Joey Ramone

never forget

• Members
  • 11,575 posts
Can we rename this topic "entitlement"

I have never expected any restaurant to make change for a $100 bill. Never in a million years would I expect a restaurant to provide change when I could easily have brought a smaller bill.

I mean in my billfold I have 1s, 5s, 10s, 20s, nickles, dimes etc......I would never expect the restaurant to provide me with any of this.

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
How about we rename this topic "legal tender" and you stop trying to inject the word billfold into the conversation. I don't care if I walk in there with a Grover Clevland thousand. Go to the safe, break the bill, satisfy the customer and everyone is fine.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,693 posts
To add to ElfinYoda's post, most businesses have funds in the safe to stock the registers. So, breaking the bill from the safe would result in the same mix of denomination.

Reply to this topic