Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NBA 2010/11 Season Discussion

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

groove terminator

groove terminator

There are two rules for success: 1.) Don't tell all you know

• Members
  • 2,863 posts
opening day here we go

Heat v Celtics
Suns v Blazers
Rockets v Lakers

we have the super friends kicking off against the eastern conference champs
we have the 2 time defending champion lakers taking on a very dangerous rockets team
and the steve nash led suns against roy & aldridge's trailblazers

yet again this should be a fun season!

Edited by groove terminator, 27 May 2011 - 07:24 PM.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
Hell, I thought I only had to wonder if the Suns would be able to rebound and play defense. After the way they played in the preseason, though, I'm even wondering about their offense. I sure hope everyone got that crappy shooting out of their systems now that it counts. It'll be interesting to see if they can throw a point guard, a center, and like ten wings together and actually come up with a winning formula.

I guess I'll just try to have faith...or at least blind optimism...

groove terminator

groove terminator

• Members
  • 2,863 posts
happy with the Laker victory on Ring Night
though I wouldn't be surprised if that match up will be the Western Conference Finals match up, the Rockets look very good and if they can keep Yao healthy then they will have as good a shot as any

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts
Holy crap the Suns looked bad. I'd heard they looked bad in the preseason, but had no idea.

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• Moderators
  • 14,651 posts
I guess Lebron left his talents in South Beach...

GO SPURS GO!

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts

Holy crap the Suns looked bad. I'd heard they looked bad in the preseason, but had no idea.

Well, everything was actually going fine until that 4th quarter. For the game, we actually shot better than you did, which was good. I was especially happy to see the 3pt shooting return (it was horrible in the preseason). However, another preseason issue was the huge number of turnovers and that was still a problem. Plus, shooting better than the other team just doesn't help quite as much if you're going to get out-rebounded 48 to frickin' 30! :angry:

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts
Sorry Lohr, but I think you're looking at that game through rose-colored glasses.

Blazers only played the 1st and 4th quarter, really, and they were sloppy the whole game. Aldridge was useless when double-teamed (just like he was last year in the playoffs), and the spacing was a horror show. The only area they were consistently OK in was rebounding. Really, last year's Suns would have been up by 10-15 points at the start of the 4th quarter. Without Amar'e, you guys are looking like a smarter version of the Warriors.

I'm not saying this to be anti-Suns (I'd love Nash and Hill to win a title before retiring), just trying to be a realist. It was depressing!

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
It's not so much rose-colored glasses, but rather realistic expectations and having seen this before. I didn't expect the Suns to be last year's Suns in their first game. In fact, last year's Suns weren't what they ended up being right off the bat. In recent times, this team has had major changes on an almost yearly basis - losing guys like Joe Johnson, then Marion, now Stoudemire and the whole while shuffling new guys in and out. It always takes some time for the players to learn things, to gel, and for the coaches to put it all together.

I am not too impressed with the Suns brass these days, but I do have some faith in Alvin Gentry. He wasn't done too many favors with the roster changes this year, but I do think that he can make this group into at least a playoff contender. It's just not going to happen right out of the gate.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
(Also, I should not that I missed a great deal of the 4th quarter last night [damn kids!], so I really am not sure exactly how everything went to hell all of a sudden.)

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts
Yeah, but Lohr, I think even if they gel to the point of having the best chemistry in the league, they're still just too small and geriatric at key positions to challenge for anything serious.

Now, I fully admit to only watching them play once this year, but that was one strong first impression I left with. For what it's worth, I hope I'm wrong about this!

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
Oh, I never said anything about challenging for "anything serious". At this point, I'm just hoping for a playoff spot. I think that's a reasonable goal. Anything else, at this point, is probably out of reach - but do I think they have a chance to turn into a playoff team.

Dammit, Pong, every year I watch this team go through upheaval as we see talent go out the door, people of questionable fit come in the door, and the owner drive off any of the staff that might have a clue. Meanwhile, it's left to the coach to try and make it somehow all work with smoke, mirrors, and Steve Nash's heart. And every year, that gets a bit more challenging to pull off. Yet, I'm trying to be optimistic - which is hard enough as it is, so just shush, you! :nono:

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• Moderators
  • 16,804 posts
Ah, OK. So we're talking about something different here. As far as making it into the playoffs, I think Phoenix has a good shot. Portland's a big team, even without Oden and Pzyrbillaface. Lakers, even with their oft-injured center are very long, as well... but there are a lot of teams that Phoenix can get away with small-balling, too. A 50-win season is probably out of the question, but I could definitely see them going 44-48 wins and squeaking into the playoffs.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts

I heard if u hit a kardashian u win a championship.. Kim k holla me!!! I need ya for 17 min

I'll take one for the team lol

--Ty Lawson, Twitter (6/21/10 - later denied)

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
Charlie Villanueva tweet:

KG called me a cancer patient, I'm pissed because, u know how many people died from cancer, and he's tossing it like it's a joke.

Kevin Garnett response:

My comment to Charlie Villanueva was in fact 'You are cancerous to your team and our league. I would never be insensitive to the brave struggle that cancer patients endure."

Wow. I didn't even make this crap up! :lol:

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,412 posts
Yeah.

Hard for me to care about this. The bigger story is the faux-outrage people have over this. Really? C'mon. Who gives a ****?

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
Oh, I don't care. I find it all a bit amusing - regardless of what the truth is!

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,412 posts
Oh yeah, I get that you don't care, I was just saying. Twitter was all a buzz earlier "ZOMG DID U HEAR KG?!"

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
See, this is one of the reasons I avoid Twitter. It's bad enough having people on Facebook that feel the need to share every mundane, inane thought or action that they have. Twitter actually seems designed for that purpose! :unimpressed:

tebowsexual

tebowsexual

• Members
  • 260 posts
Cleveland's answer to Lebron's "What Should I do?"

Edited by tebowsexual, 06 November 2010 - 02:47 AM.

groove terminator

groove terminator

• Members
  • 2,863 posts
that video is awesome

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,417 posts
Absolutely brilliant!

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
FOR PONG.

DeathLurtz

DeathLurtz

Good thing they stamped that fire out quickly.

• Members
  • 3,563 posts
You know, last year I was a believer in the suns. I really thought that rag tag bunch of guys had a shot.This year, not so much. I can't let go of the little bit of hope I have that they will have a somewhat respectable season, though.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Nice to see Lebron already throwing his coach under the bus and actually complaining about playing TOO many minutes.

Only a matter of time now before Riley swoops back in. In the meantime though I'm loving the Celtics schooling them twice.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• Supporter/Mods
  • 16,508 posts
Yeah, that was pretty sweet. Further proof that it takes more than just great individuals to make a great team. Boston's "big three" keeps getting older and yet that team still remains elite. Not that they showed too many signs of age last night!

Lurtz, my Suns will make the playoffs. I say this only because I believe in Steve Nash's will and (to a far lesser extent) Alvin Gentry's coaching. They have enough talent and enough players willing to work that they should find a way to mask their deficiencies more often than not. I just wish I had more faith in their other major pieces, namely Richardson and Turkoglu. Richardson is actually off to a pretty good start this year and I'll just have to hope it continues. Turkoglu ("Why Hedo that?") is actually making even less of an impact than I thought he would. Just as troubling is the fact that Robin Lopez has not stepped up his game like I expected him to.

Speaking of the Lopez boys, are they using a smaller rim in New Jersey this year or something? Because Brook is ****ing killing me with his abysmal shooting. How the hell can a 7' center shoot 38%?!? :angry: :confused: :angry: