Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kari-gurashi no Arrietty

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Iceheart

Iceheart

your argument is invalid

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 19,209 posts

http://en.wikipedia....rrower_Arrietty

No worldwide release date yet that I can find, but I'm still awfully stoked :D

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo / Robin in Alaska

• Members
  • 33,259 posts
I haven't heard of The Borrowers, but I was reminded of The Littles. After a quick wiki check it seems as though it is likely The Littles borrowed from The Borrowers.

Iceheart

Iceheart

your argument is invalid

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 19,209 posts
This conversation happened almost word-for-word in the group of friends I was with when I first heard about this movie. Oddly enough, I don't really remember The Littles, but I remember watching the old movie adaption of The Borrowers when I was a kid.

Said conversation ended with me getting a copy of the Kari-gurashi soundtrack, and I haven't stopped listening to it since :D :thumbsup:

Iceheart

Iceheart

your argument is invalid

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 19,209 posts

American release via Disney, February 17th, 2012!

http://www.animenews...railer-streamed

Mandard

Mandard

First Speaker

• Members
  • 21,334 posts
Oh wow, I just watched this last week. Yeah, this was fantastic. The top-notch animation is always expected, but I was very pleased with the characters and the simple but engaging story. And yeah, it's got a great soundtrack. May not be fair to say a "return to form" for Ghibli, but I personally wasn't a huge fan of either Howl's or Ponyo (and I'm ignoring Earthsea) so it was satisfying to see a really captivating effort from them. It definitely ranks as one of my favorites from Ghibli.

Interesting to note that it has a first-time director, Yonebayashi, so it's hard to say how much was him and how much was Miyazaki (who still wrote and produced) but maybe this guy could be the one to carry on the legacy. It's certainly an impressive debut.

Iceheart

Iceheart

your argument is invalid

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 19,209 posts

Interesting to note that it has a first-time director, Yonebayashi, so it's hard to say how much was him and how much was Miyazaki (who still wrote and produced) but maybe this guy could be the one to carry on the legacy. It's certainly an impressive debut.

Well, it certainly won't be Goro Miyazaki. I wasn't much of a fan of Gedo Senki, it had the look of his dad's work, but the story was muddled as hell. And yes, I've read Earthsea.

I liked Arrietty, It's definitely more for the younger crowd, but it was visually stunning. The ladybug scene in the beginning... yes, just a ladybug flying off a blade of grass and it took maybe a minute of the movie, but when you think about what went into animating that detail... and I agree about the story, and the great characters. They even cast the dub well.

I was also happy they kept the Corbel soundtrack for the American release. I thought for sure they'd do another soundtrack, but except for the song at the end, they kept it intact.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,195 posts
This only opened at a few theaters here in town, but my son and I definitely hope to check this out soon before it disappears. He'd prefer subbed to dubbed, but we'll take what we can get.