Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Friends

5 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,239 posts
Didn't think I was going to have time to do a story after all for this contest, until I realized yesterday that an audioscript I wrote this week actually qualifies! (which explains my comment yesterday in the contest thread)

Didn't have time to take it out of audio script format though, sorry.

Friends
ďEvery friend has a secret ...Ē
NARRATOR

SFX: Knocking on door.

Beat.

SFX: More knocking.

SIMON
(calling out through door)
Wes! Come on man! I know youíre in there! Your carís outside! Open up!

Beat.

WESLEY
Simon? Is that you?

SIMON
Naw, man, itís the other friend you have that sounds exactly like me!

WESLEY
Okay, hold on, I have to get some clothes on.

SFX: Footsteps away.

SIMON
What? Look man, this wouldnít be a problem if youíd ever answer your damned phone, or, at worst, return my damned calls. Iíve been calling your sorry ass for two weeks and not a peep from you. For all Iíve known, youíve been laying here dead. You donít have a girlfriend or family whoíd call me and let me know. And now I came all the way across the country to see if youíre still alive and youíre gonna make me wait out here on the stoop like a paper boy? What the hell, man?

SFX: Furniture scraping sounds.

SIMON (CONTíD)
And what are you doing in there, man? I know youíre not leaving me standing out here so you can clean house? Let me in, man!

SFX: Door unlocking and being opened.

NARRATOR
The door opened to reveal a completely dressed, if a little out of breath, Simon.

WESLEY
Whatís really going on? Touched as it would make me, you didnít come all the way out here to check on me.

SIMON
Yeah, okay. I was wondering if I could stay here for a few days.

NARRATOR
Wesley gestured towards Simonís car.

WESLEY
I assume your bags are still in the car?

SIMON
Well, itíd be a little tacky to have them in hand when I ask you.

WESLEY
(amused)
Let me help you get them.

SIMON
Now weíre talking.

SFX: Footsteps, car trunk opening.

SIMON (CONTíD)
So, seriously, why the radio silence? I have been worried about you.

WESLEY
Iíve got a lot going on right now. But you first. Howís Patricia and the kids?

SIMON
Not good, man. I left her.

SFX: Car trunk closing, more footsteps.

WESLEY
No ****? Really. Iím very sorry to hear that.

SIMON
Itís fine. I just need some time to chill out and think it over before deciding what to do next.

WESLEY
I understand. You can stay here as long as you want.
(beat)
So what happened? You were together a long time.

SIMON
You know how sheíd never leave me alone to stew when I was in a crappy mood? That finally got old enough I couldnít put up with it anymore.

SFX: Footsteps stop.

WESLEY
You left your children with your wife-.
(beat)
- because she kept trying to make you feel better when you were feeling pissy?

SIMON
(briskly)
Okay, yeah, thatís not the whole story. Letís talk about it later, man.

WESLEY
Sure.

NARRATOR
(beat)
Wesley lived in a 4 bedroom ranch style home. 2 bedrooms were located at each end of the long rectangular house, and the middle was taken up by the kitchen, living room, and laundry room.

WESLEY
Iíll set you up here, across from my bedroom on this end of the house. Iím in the middle of fumigating the other two bedrooms so you might as well stay out of that end of the house.

SIMON
Sure, man. Whatever works for you. Iím just going to be here for a couple days to get myself together and then Iíll be out of your hair.

WESLEY
Itís not a problem. Letís cook out tonight, what do you think?

SIMON
Sounds good.

NARRATOR
Simon glanced at the weird looking tracks in the living room carpet. It looked like something had been rolled from the guest bedroom he was about to take over through the living room and straight towards the end of the house Wesley had said he was fumigating.

SIMON
Uh-huh.

NARRATOR

SFX: Food sizzling on the grill, clinking of beer bottles.

SIMON
Hey man, I know I told you this on the phone at the time, but this is the first time Iíve seen you face to face since Amy died. I was sorry to hear about that.

WESLEY
It was no big deal. I hadnít been with her for damn near 15 years.

SIMON
Now whoís full of crap? She was the one for you. Or did it take you 5 years to start dating again every time you broke up with a woman?

WESLEY
No, youíre right. She got in deeper than anyone else. Even before-.
(trails off)

SIMON
Before what?

WESLEY
Never mind.

SIMON
Oh hell no! What were you going to say?

WESLEY
I was going to say, what about your One True Love? Why did you leave her? Why are you here with me instead of with her?

SIMON
Aw man, you know how it gets with a couple after they hit the 20 year mark. You just get tired of each otherís crap. Need a break.

WESLEY
And you needed a break from your kids too? Isnít Jason a starting point guard for his high school? Isnít this about the time of year high school teams start the playoffs?

SIMON
(uncomfortable)
His first gameís tomorrow night.

WESLEY
Then youíre not here with me because you ďneed a break.Ē What happened?

SIMON
Let me ask you this, Wesley. Youíre a handsome guy, youíre in great shape, youíre still fairly young, and youíre loaded. Why are you living alone?

WESLEY
Because I donít know how to relate to normal people.

SIMON
Exactly. I think I have the same problem.

WESLEY
Except you werenít in the game nearly as long as I, and youíve made your relationship with Patricia last this long. What changed?

SIMON
Iím not nearly drunk enough for this conversation, man. How about those Miami Heat, huh?

Wesley and Simon share a chuckle.

NARRATOR
The conversation flowed away from their respective lovelives and towards the times theyíd shared their first year of being friends, when both were 10 years old.

WESLEY
I canít believe weíve been friends for over 30 years.

SIMON
Pretty much our whole lives. My sonís older than we were when we first met.

WESLEY
It takes two guys both being willing to see past petty disagreements and little fights for a friendship to last this long.

SIMON
Seriously, man, Iím not still mad about what you said to Patricia. That was a decade ago.

WESLEY
(amused)
Glad to hear it.
(beat)
And glad to know thatís not why you two broke up.

SIMON
Nice try, but Iím not going there right now.

NARRATOR

SIMON
Night man!

WESLEY
Night.

SFX: Bedroom door closing.

NARRATOR
There were a couple things wrong with Simonís guest bedroom. For one thing, the bed was off kilter. A man as OCD as Wesley would never have a bed not lined up with the wall. So it seemed as if the bed had been hastily shoved into this room at a momentís notice, which would explain the furniture moving heíd heard before the front door opened.
(beat)
There were also wheel marks on the carpet leading out the door. These marks matched what Simon had seen on the living room carpet. It almost seemed like something had been rolled out of this room in a hurry.
(beat)
Rolled out in a hurry when Wesley noticed Simon driving up, perhaps?
(beat)
Simon searched the room from top to bottom but could find no other evidence of what had been in this room up until this morning.

SFX: Dishes clinking.

WESLEY
Great dinner. I appreciate you taking over the cooking chores today.

SIMON
I actually cook more than Patricia does. Iíve gotten pretty good at it.

WESLEY
Still talking about her in the present tense, I see.

SIMON
That wasnít an invitation to talk about it.

WESLEY
I get that. I wouldnít keep on about this if it made sense for you 2 to break up. But it doesnít.
(beat)
Anyway, I have a couple hours of work to do in my bedroom slash office. You got something to keep yourself occupied?

SIMON
Sure, I brought along my portable DVD player. Iíll watch ďInceptionĒ again and try to figure out exactly what kind of crack Nolan was smoking when he wrote it.

WESLEY
(amused)
Sounds good.

NARRATOR
Wesley went into his office and shut the door. Simon got out his DVD player, put it on the living room coffee table, started the movie, and set the volume as loud as it would go.
(beat)
Simon waited ten minutes, and then removed his shoes.
(beat)
Simon sneaked down into the supposedly fumigated wing of the house. He paused several times but could detect no trace of bug spray.
(beat)
He hadnít expected any.
(beat)
The door on the right was locked.

SFX: Metal clicking.

NARRATOR (CONTíD)
Not a problem if you had a lock picking set, and Simonís background.

SFX: Door slowly opening.

NARRATOR (CONTíD)
Simon peered inside. A girl, who appeared to be about 14 years old, was strapped to a rolling hospital bed. Her eyes were closed and she was unmoving except for the slightest rise and fall of her chest. This was most likely the result of the medicine bag hanging on a stand over her head and attached to her arm via an IV.
(beat)
Simon approached the medicine bag close enough to read it. No, not drugs, it was a feeding bag.

SFX: Footstep, creak of door.

NARRATOR (CONTíD)
Simon spun around and looked to the hallway.
(beat)
Wesley was standing in the doorway, his eyes blazing with fury.

NARRATOR (CONTíD)
(beat)
Simon gaped at his long time friend.

SIMON
Wesley.

WESLEY
(dangerous)
Letís go in the living room.

SIMON
Naw, man, I think Iíve overstayed my welcome. I think Iíll get out of your hair. Obviously you have a lot going on right now-.

WESLEY
So thatís it? 30 years of friendship, and I donít even get the courtesy of you hearing me out before you run away and call the cops? 30 years!

SIMON
Okay, youíre right. But so help me God, if any part of your explanation involves you sticking your wiener in this poor underaged girl youíve apparently kidnapped and are keeping sedated, Iím going to wring your ****ing neck!

WESLEY
(heavy)
Her nameís Derica.
(beat)
And sheís my daughter.

SIMON
Okay, you got my undivided.

WESLEY
Sheís Amyís kid. She only told me on her deathbed last year.

SIMON
I know it was her deathbed, but maybe she just wanted to make sure somebody would take care of Derica?

WESLEY
Amyís husband adopted Dericka, and they had two daughters of their own together. Plus extended family. Amy had no worries about Dericka being provided for.

SIMON
(doubtful)
That doesnít sound like it would be enough to convince you.

WESLEY
After Amy passed, I gave Derica a hug so I could steal one of her hairs. The DNA test confirmed it.

SIMON
That sounds more like you. You always were a meticulous bastard.

WESLEY
Yeah. Dericaís mine. Amy was just afraid of how my Post Traumatic Stress might affect a young child, so she never told me before she absolutely had to, and even then she begged me to wait to tell Dericka until she was an adult.
(beat)
I agreed.

SIMON
I can understand Amyís concerns. Youíve never been comfortable around kids. Youíd never hold mine when they were little.

WESLEY
So anyway, after I found out, I started keeping tabs on Derica. Sheís a bright girl, gets good grades, large social circle, not into drugs. Everything a father wants.

SIMON
Sounds good so far.

WESLEY
And then she refused to have sex with the local pretty boy quarterback. He beat her, badly, and threw her down a flight of concrete stairs.

SIMON
Is, um, the Quarterback, um, still breathing?

WESLEY
(not entirely convincing)
I only ever did that stuff for God and Country, Simon. Iíve got enough bad dreams already.

SIMON
We both do. But can I assume heís still breathing because there were witnesses and the quarterback is safely locked up?

WESLEY
He got 20 years, so Iím not worried about him.

SIMON
He got? So this happened to her a while ago? Makes sense, now that I think about it, she doesnít have a mark on her.

WESLEY
9 months ago. She hasnít woken up since. The doctors are convinced sheís brain dead and sheíll never wake up. Last month her ďfamilyĒ decided to pull the feeding tube. She can breath fine, so they couldnít do it quick and neat.
(with rage)
They were going to starve her to death like a dog.

SIMON
Oh yeah, I remember a big court case about this kind of situation-.

WESLEY
(dangerous)
This isnít about politics and religious beliefs, Simon. I donít give a **** what anybody else believes or would do in this situation.
(beat, then furious)
Somebody is going to starve my daughter to death over my dead body.

SIMON
I get that.
(beat)
So you took her.

WESLEY
So I took her. And Iíve been caring for her since.
(beat)
And will continue to do so.

SIMON
Since youíre still here and not in Mexico, I can assume the family and police have no way to track her to you?

WESLEY
She never told anyone I was the father. I was just one of many of her exboyfriends who showed up on her deathbed and funeral. Some FBI rookie did stop by and ask me a few questions but he wouldnít have lasted 5 minutes in my world back in the old days so it was a piece of cake.

SIMON
You should have called me, man. Iíd have helped you get her out of the hospital.

WESLEY
Didnít need your help, didnít want to get you involved. You have a family now.

SIMON
Not any more.

WESLEY
Oh cut the crap! Iíve done the absent father thing! You really want to follow me down that road?

SIMON
(serious)
If I didnít leave, I was gonna kill that woman. Itís for her own good.

WESLEY
I say again, crap. You were never good at black ops precisely because youíre not like me. Thatís why you washed out and why I stayed in for 20 years.

SIMON
Iím starting to remember why we only talk a couple times a year. We never pull any punches with each other.
(beat)
Okay, yeah, I didnít leave because I was afraid Iíd kill her.

WESLEY
Then why did you leave?

SIMON
(uncomfortable)
Getting back to your situation. What now?

WESLEY
ďWhat nowĒ is I take care of her.

SIMON
What is she, about 14? Youíre going to take care of her for the next 60 years?

WESLEY
(dangerous)
I think now would be the time to convey to you how-.
(beat)
-emotional-
(beat)
-this situation has made me.

SIMON
(calming)
Iím not trying to face off with you, man. Give me a break, I just found out about this.

WESLEY
Because you were snooping. Invading my privacy. Not to mention jumping to conclusions about what you saw.

SIMON
If you didnít want me to find out, youíd have made up some excuse to put me up in a hotel.

Long beat of silence.

WESLEY
(amused)
Youíre right, we do know each other too well.
(beat)
Okay, letís go into the living room and talk over a beer.

NARRATOR

SFX: Beer bottle caps opening.

SIMON
This is a messed up situation, man.

WESLEY
(heavy)
Agreed.

SIMON
This is gonna be a lot of work, man. Taking care of her 24-7 for the rest of your life.

WESLEY
(with certainty)
Sheís going to wake up.

SIMON
You donít know that.

WESLEY
Maybe not. But what I do know is that nobody is going to starve her to death like a piece of garbage. Iíve-.
(beat)
- seen people starved to death.
(dangerous)
Thatís not going to happen to her.

SIMON
No, I get that. But still, sheís a full time job you can never take a break from. Or hire help for.

WESLEY
(scoffs)
Please. I can drag a 20 dollar bill through a trailer park and find six people whoíd help me bury a dead body. If it comes to that, I can always find a couple people to discretely help me care for her. But so far, itís been fine.

SFX: Clinking of bottles, drinking.

SIMON
You ever think about what her family is going through, with her missing?

WESLEY
With her mother dead, Iím the only family she has left.

SIMON
Yeah, but her stepfather raised her since she was a baby. Her step sisters grew up with her. They love her.

WESLEY
They wanted to starve her to death. **** Ďem. Sheís gone from their lives, just like they wanted.

SFX: Clinking of bottles, drinking.

SIMON
What if they come up with a new treatment that repairs brain damage? Something that could work with her, wake her up?

WESLEY
If I hadnít taken her, sheíd be too dead for it to be of any use.

SIMON
No, I know that. But now, youíre out of the loop. No way to know if something happens in the research world.

Long beat of silence.

WESLEY
(dangerous)
Simon, why did you and Patricia break up?

SIMON
Donít try to change the subject, man-.

NARRATOR
Wesley produced a silenced automatic from the pocket of his easy chair and pointed it right between Simonís eyes.

WESLEY
(ice cold)
Answer my question.

SIMON
Have you lost your ****ing mind?!

WESLEY
(ice cold)
Goodbye, Simon.

SIMON
Okay, okay! It was about money, okay? I was spending too much, the economy went south-.

WESLEY
Youíre lying. Again.
(beat)
You didnít break up with her, did you? Itís why you havenít been able to give me a convincing reason. You just used that as an excuse to visit me and stay here.

SIMON
Wesley-.

WESLEY
Youíve gotten better at lying to me. A hell of a lot better. It took me almost 2 days to see through you. Kudos.

SIMON
Itís not like that, man. Iím here to save you.

WESLEY
Son of a bitch. So somebody did figure out it was me.

SIMON
Yes. At some point during their relationship, Amy told her husband you were Derickaís biological father.

WESLEY
Dammit. I didnít think sheíd have done that.

SIMON
Look, the feds wanted to go full on Jack-Booted-Thug on you. Storm this place 50 strong. Theyíre scared as hell of how you have this house and grounds rigged, and what you might do if they roll in. I talked them into slow playing it. Talking you down.

WESLEY
(furious)
You back stabbing piece of ****.

SIMON
Listen man-.

WESLEY
No! Walk out of here, now, before I change my mind.

SIMON
Wesley, itís not like that-.

WESLEY
(furious)
You come into my house, take advantage of my hospitality, a hospitality Iíd grant to no other living person, just so you can hand over my daughter to people who want to starve her to death? You should already be face down in my lime pit!

SIMON
Theyíve found a treatment they think will work! It could wake her up! Give her some semblance of a normal life!

Long beat of silence.

SIMON (CONTíD)
Iíve seen the research, man. I talked to one of the people who woke up. Heís still kinda Rainman but heís awake! It could work on Dericka.

WESLEY
This is what you were getting at before.

SIMON
Yes. But you have to hand her over. Maybe do a little time, but no judge or jury will be too harsh given the circumstances. You didnít hurt anybody taking her out of the hospital.

WESLEY
If the treatment doesnít work, sheíd be back on death row.

SIMON
Kevin Walker recruited me for this. You remember him?

WESLEY
Yeah. Heís with the FBI now?

SIMON
He is, and he personally guaranteed me that if you surrender peacefully and hand her back to her family, he will make sure she stays alive in a nice place on the Fedís dime. Even if the treatment doesnít work.

WESLEY
(dangerous)
He said that?

SIMON
(sincere)
Yes, he did. I swear on my wife and children.

NARRATOR
Wesley considered this.

SIMON
Listen, man, theyíve got an airtight perimeter around this place. Have since I came in yesterday. Thereís only 2 ways this is going to go down. Take my way. The smart way. The way you know for sure wonít get Dericka hurt in the crossfire.

NARRATOR
Wesley finally lowered his weapon.

WESLEY
Okay, Simon. Weíll do it your way. But Iím holding you and Kevin Walker personally responsible for anything that happens to Dericka. You got me?

SIMON
Iím reading you loud and clear, buddy.

WESLEY
Good. Call them, letís do this.

NARRATOR
(beat)
3 hours later, Dericka was being loaded into an ambulance for transport to a hospice. Wesley was already on his way to a federal holding facility. Simon and Kevin Walker were watching the paramedics work.

SIMON
So when are they trying out this new treatment on Dericka, Kevin? I want to be there to show my support and tell Wesley how it went.

KEVIN
(sarcastic)
What treatment?

SIMON
You have got to be ****ing kidding me!

KEVIN
Nothing personal, Simon. I said what I had to say to get you to sign on to this operation. Just like you said whatever you had to say to Wesley so you could get into the door and start wearing him down. Like pretending you didnít know about Dericka and pretending you were staying with him because of family problems. We both did what we had to do.

SIMON
But the research you showed me! The patient I talked to!

KEVIN
I did what I had to do to convince you, so youíd convince him.

SIMON
Well, if thereís no new treatment, what was the point of all this? Why not just let him keep her and take care of her?

KEVIN
(as if Simon is a child)
He kidnaped a young girl from a federally funded hospital. We canít just look the other way on something like that.

SIMON
So whatís going to happen to her?

KEVIN
She goes back to her family.

SIMON
Whoís still going to starve her to death!

KEVIN
Look, itís all very sad, but sheís brain dead. She was dead the moment that douchebag jock threw her down the stairs. Whatís left now is just an empty body. The family made the right call.

SIMON
No, man, you donít understand. Wesley is going to hold you and me personally responsible for anything that happens to her. You. And. Me.

KEVIN
(dismissive)
Wesleyís going away for a long time. Donít you worry about him.

SIMON
Let me ask you something, Kevin. Are people in prison allowed to make phone calls?

KEVIN
Sure. What, is he going to leave me a hurtful message?

SIMON
Let me ask you something else. During the course of his career, how many different times did Wesley save the life of a professionally trained Black Ops assassin? How many of them still feel like they owe Wesley big time?
(beat)
Iíll give you a hint, the numberís higher than 5. And thatís just the ones I know about. How many of those do you think own phones Wesley knows the number of?

Long beat of silence.

KEVIN
Oh.

SIMON
All I have to say is this, if something happens to Dericka, as one of the two men Wesley will hold personally responsible, Iím going to start sleeping with the lights on and a gun in my hand. Every night. And never drive a car again. And never eat out in public again. What about you?

KEVIN
(scared)
I see your point. I-Iíll federalize her care immediately and make sure a Judge who owes me is given power of attorney over her.

SIMON
Smart man, smart man. Now if youíll excuse me, Iím going to pay Wesley a visit and make sure he knows sheís going to be fine.

NARRATOR
Simon walked away, not entirely sure to what extent heíd been bluffing. He left behind a very ashen faced Kevin Walker fumbling with his cell phone.

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
Nicely done. Interesting plot twists in there, and a few red herrings. I expected the room to hold a fully dead body, and I saw the double cross that Kevin played coming, but not Simon's answer to it. Good job once again.

Nixie

Nixie

showing all my haters love

• Members
  • 2,161 posts
i proofed this the other day and really liked it. when are you recording this? next week some time?

LadyGuinevere

LadyGuinevere

Taking on the world with an innocent smile

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
Very interesting! Kept me guessing all the way through :) I kind of struggled with the format, but that's because I'm not used to audio scripts.

GreenLightBaby

GreenLightBaby

Following Kromaggs

• Members
  • 774 posts
I kept on guessing too, but I had a feeling you'd go with that ending. I was thinking Simon was either FBI or a PI looking for the guy his wife's having an affair with. Nice twist.

A Jack-Booted-Thug :flirt:

Posted Image

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,239 posts
Thanks guys.

And the Jack Booted Thug thing actually predates 24 by a mile. It's a term my father has used all my life every time the police or Swat go too far or use excessive force. Apparently a jack book is something the Swat uses or whatever. But now after 24 it has a nice little double meaning. :D

Reply to this topic