Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dragon Age 2

RPG BioWare Fantasy Dragons Games PC PS3 Xbox 360

66 replies to this topic

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/

Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.

Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make. Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land. Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior. Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go. Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

Word on the street is that DA2 will not import your DAO or DAA character. Also that same word is saying that the Player Character is only Human and has a default unchangable surname of Hawke.

My first response to that is LAME. However the word on the street is that BioWare is doing this to make the game more like Mass Effect, player character wise anyway. I suppose that could be a good thing. [shrugs]

My word on the street sources were pulled from various geeky places, including the Dragon Age wiki. As such take all the word on the street speculation as just that.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
While a highly customizable main character is always a fun little extra, I don't really consider it anymore than that. As long as it has a good story and the gameplay is good, I really couldn't care less about how much I can tweak the main character.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
After thinking about it more... I can agree with that, specially since mass customization is only really a "recent" innovation. I cut my teeth on games that had such advanced customization options like name changes and attribute point settings. LOL as such I can give on a lack of a facial, eye color, hair etc etc editor... but the story and game better make me really like that default character if I can't change him or her.

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
I'm going to wait and see how they are doing this before I get upset. The fun of DAO was the companions and their interactions. I loved the different origins stories, but something tells me that BioWare will be able to turn this one around faster without worrying about developing six different stories in one.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• Members
  • 10,490 posts
i'll be ripping the heid aff it when i get it

canny wait

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
http://gameinformer....gon-age-ii.aspx

Read it.

This is starting to sound less like a sequel and more like a spinoff... something to it's own, just existing in the DA setting. This could explain the supposed big changes in GFX and gameplay styles as well.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
So anyway...

According to that official stuff Hawke will be a survivor of the blight, the same blight our PC Warden ends in DAO. Hawke will have been a child of like 8 years old during our play thru of DAO, living in Lothering, surviving the Darkspawn invasion and then either by his/her self moving to a distant location in Thedas to flee the Blight or traveling with his family and or other survivors.

Now considering the other new news that we can still customize Hawke's look and he/she can be a warrior, mage or rogue then I think this is a heavy hint that there will still be varied origin paths to put Hawke thru.

PACMAN729

PACMAN729

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
Can't wait.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,432 posts
The more they make it follow the Mass Effect path, the better. Because this sounds an awful lot like the exact same thing they do there. I can only assume that they are doing this so that they can have your main character fully voiced.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
That's exactly why. :)

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
The Dragon Age Wiki pointed out that some alpha screens have been released. Check them out below:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
Concept art for the races in DA2...

http://images4.wikia...6/Da2_races.jpg

The devs at BioWare have said that each race is not necessarily to scale, which was info posted in response to players wondering if the elves would be taller in this game.

As you can see the Qunari are continuing down their Klingon like archetype, this time following the No Ridges/Yes Ridges design change but with horns instead of ridges. BioWare's explanation is that it's a genetic throwback and some Qunari are born with horns while others aren't. That having horns is considered a mark of something special.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• Members
  • 10,490 posts
so sten was a poof?

Superdroid

Superdroid

THT Jr.

• Members
  • 17 posts
:lol:

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
Well I dunno about that, Boba. But yeah it can be inferred now that Sten was at least 'not special'. But then again I guess that would be obvious if we stopped to think about Sten; He kills 8 people because he loses his sword, even though he knows these 8 people had nothing to do with his missing sword. He is moody and possessive. He has food cravings. Essentially Sten is a manic depressive with homicidal tendencies. LOL

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,647 posts
This game is definitely on my pre-order list.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
Yep. Mine too.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• Members
  • 10,490 posts
8th march for you lot.. i need to wait til 11th

i hate you all

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
http://dragonage.bioware.com

Have you guys seen the trailer? :thumbsup:

Did you see that sword/staff that Hawke uses in it? :yes:

Do you want it in game when you buy DA2? :drool:

Then Bioware has been nice and reopened the newsletter sign up, which can be seen on that site, in the lower right side of the page. Sign up during the month of October and when DA2 launches you'll be emailed a redemption code for that kick-ass sword/staff that Hawke uses in the trailer.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
Check your emails, your junk mail folders. I received my code for the Sword/Staff DLC this week. Of course it can't be claimed until the game comes out around March 2011, but anyway... heads up! The codes have been emailed or are being emailed now.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
The Dragon Age 2 demo is available like everywhere, for sure, totally.[/valley girl]

The action is hard and fast! Just like Morrigan likes it. Almost Dynasty Warriors quick, specially if playing a rogue. I'm so looking forward to the game! W00T and all this ---> !!11!1!! stuff.

:D

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 1,895 posts
Pre-ordered!!!!!11111111111onez

lol :P

Here's to hopin' i get my copy a wee bit early :)

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 33,674 posts
It came out in the 'States today. We're beta testing it for you foreigners. ;)

The save import function works (it was broken in the demo), but there is a glitch with the plot flags (whether you import a save or not). The glitch causes plot flags from Origins to become completely contradictory and random (with a save import) and/or Hawke's own decisions from early in the game get "forgotten" and then randomly replaced with other decisions... The joke is that one night you go to sleep with Isabela the Pirate and the next morning you wake up with Varric the Dwarf. LOL Not sure if it is that bad a glitch, but it is screwing with things.

Anyway, when Origins launched BioWare had a patch out within a few days and then another to fix that patch within a week and then another to stabilize all the quick patching within 4 weeks. So hopefully BioWare will be able to stick to the pattern or better it. :)

As for the game itself. I love it. Contrary to all the hate that is out there about the combat change, it is the same as Origins just faster and more immediate. Oh yeah that reminds me, one of the other glitches is that the game got accidentally mastered without the Auto-Attack feature. The auto-attack feature is one that makes it so you aren't require to button mash the attack, but can just basically tell the character what to do... so really it scales back the, imo, improvements to the combat to something more like what Origins was. When they do patch the auto-attack feature in, it will be optional btw... so that's a good thing.

As for character creation it is just like Origins (sans the other races of course). Just like the demo you don't create the "true Hawke" until Varric is called on the bull**** he's spewing. So you have to play thru a combat scene for about 3 minutes and then the real game starts. You can't customize the default Hawkes. There are two versions of the default Hawkes (four if you count two for each sex). One Hawke without a tattoo on his face and the other exact same Hawke with a tattoo on his face.

Personalization for the player character, if you choose to go that route, really comes only if you choose a Hawke preset that isn't BioWare's "Hawke Legend". Once you've chosen a customizable preset you have all the options (sans races) from Origins + new hairs and beards. I made a very convincing Logan/Wolverine and started the game with that. It was neat for a bit... until I realized I played the demo so much that Hawke's look to me was cemented as the BioWare "Hawke Legend". LOL Ahh well. Luckily he looks badass, imo. And sounds quite a bit like Timothy Dalton which is coolbeans.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• Members
  • 10,490 posts
got confirmation the signature edition i preordered way back in dec was despatched today, so should have it tomorow

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 19,962 posts
Did any of you pre-order from GameStop? They've got some promo for a free shield and sword, but there's no code for it, so we can't figure out how to unlock it and claim it at Bioware.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPG, BioWare, Fantasy, Dragons, Games, PC, PS3, Xbox 360