Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Remaining Questions

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

General Kenobi

General Kenobi

Crazy Old Wizard

• Members
  • 4,199 posts
Some questions can't be answered, some shouldn't be, some aren't worth considering... but there are definitely questions remaining... So, I thought this would be a good place to list the mysteries that still remain for us. Sometimes those mysteries will have an answer already that we didn't individually think of... so, if you have a question about Lost that remains, post it and we can try to figure it out or figure out it isn't worth trying.

I think the biggest remaining questions are these:

1.) Why all the interconnections? Sure, inside the afterlife it makes sense now for all the connections, but what about in the real world? Why were the candidates the same numbers as Hurley's lotto? Why were those stamped on the hatch? Coincidence seems a stretch. Who was #108?

2.) Did they build the Swan station in 108 minutes? How did they prevent the blowout Desmond stopped with the key from happening before there was a button to push?

3.) Before the creation of the smoke monster, why did the island's light need protection from people that couldn't see it or find it to begin with without being led there?

4.) Why didn't Charlie put himself on the other side of the hatch? Or just let the whole station fill with water anyway? What did he accomplish by dying?

Obviously, there are plenty more... what are the things you still wonder about?

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,519 posts

1.) Why all the interconnections? Sure, inside the afterlife it makes sense now for all the connections, but what about in the real world? Why were the candidates the same numbers as Hurley's lotto? Why were those stamped on the hatch? Coincidence seems a stretch. Who was #108?

Normally I would agree that coincidence seems a stretch but then I think about all the other stuff I've suspended disbelief on for this show and suddenly it's not so bad. The numbers clearly had significance/power via the Island or Jacob. Or you can take the semi-canonical answer of the Valenzetti Equation. #108 was a man named "Wallace," who turned out to have no relevance to the story at all.

2.) Did they build the Swan station in 108 minutes? How did they prevent the blowout Desmond stopped with the key from happening before there was a button to push?

According to the Swan orientation video it seemed like it was instantaneous. Also, perhaps the initial EM blasts were not so powerful because it hadn't been building up due to the button pushing and such? I dunno.

3.) Before the creation of the smoke monster, why did the island's light need protection from people that couldn't see it or find it to begin with without being led there?

The other people could see the light, they dug that well which was pretty close to a source of light in ATS, right?

4.) Why didn't Charlie put himself on the other side of the hatch? Or just let the whole station fill with water anyway? What did he accomplish by dying?

Plot hole. Just badly done, that's the only answer there lol.
---------------------

I suppose you could add:

- What was special about Walt?
- The outrigger shootout
- WHERE IS MY SON? Oh sorry, nevermind.
- The Ben and Annie storyline.
- Dharma supply drops.
- Why is Island sunk in the alternate time line
- What's the deal with Eloise Hawking... kind of answered but she was strange..

General Kenobi

General Kenobi

Crazy Old Wizard

• Members
  • 4,199 posts

The other people could see the light, they dug that well which was pretty close to a source of light in ATS, right?

Could they? Or were they led to do that digging by MIB? In other words, they could see it because he showed it to them, and he could see it because his mother showed it to him... Jack specifically states that there is no light cave where Jacob is sending them beyond the bamboo... MIB or Jacob, can't remember which, says they were actively searching for the light for years and never found it again.

The point is, why try so hard to protect something that, unless they know it's there, nobody will ever find?

But you must have some leftover questions, Lucas... what were they?

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,250 posts
I didn't follow this show, but on one of my news sites it addressed why the finale was on a weekend and not on the show's regularly scheduled night and it said "Probably because Sunday's date is 5/23, DUH!" What significance does that number have in relation to the show?

Guest_The Variable_*

Guest_The Variable_*
  • Guests
i remember reading somewhere that the supply drops would be explained properly before the end of the series. it wasnt touched upon at all. am i missing something?

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,519 posts

Could they? Or were they led to do that digging by MIB? In other words, they could see it because he showed it to them, and he could see it because his mother showed it to him... Jack specifically states that there is no light cave where Jacob is sending them beyond the bamboo... MIB or Jacob, can't remember which, says they were actively searching for the light for years and never found it again.

The point is, why try so hard to protect something that, unless they know it's there, nobody will ever find?

Those are fair points, I was just trying to bridge gaps. I guess if I was a 'protector' of something like that and took my job seriously I wouldn't want to leave it's... hidden-ness to chance. I mean it was found at some point right?

But you must have some leftover questions, Lucas... what were they?

From Above:
I suppose you could add:

- What was special about Walt?
- The outrigger shootout
- WHERE IS MY SON? Oh sorry, nevermind.
- The Ben and Annie storyline.
- Dharma supply drops.
- Why is Island sunk in the alternate time line
- What's the deal with Eloise Hawking... kind of answered but she was strange..
------------

MG: 23 is a (somewhat) significant number to the story. I think the real reason it was on Sunday night was because Grey's Anatomy ended last week and the finale was 2.5 hours long so they had to stick it on Sunday.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,154 posts
Didn't Widmore put bombs all over the plane that Lapidus flew off in? Or did they disble them all and I missed it?

The Charley death thing I hated but, then I understood as I wondered what he was thinking. He knew he was going to die so why not go out in a noble manner doing something he thought was helpign everyone. You can only cheat death for so long so why not do something worthwhile with your death.

General Kenobi

General Kenobi

Crazy Old Wizard

• Members
  • 4,199 posts

I didn't follow this show, but on one of my news sites it addressed why the finale was on a weekend and not on the show's regularly scheduled night and it said "Probably because Sunday's date is 5/23, DUH!" What significance does that number have in relation to the show?

Duh, eh? well... double duh on me, I guess... 23 is a significant number, but not 5... I'm pretty sure it was shown on a Sunday for ratings... same reason Survivor's finales are always on Sundays... it's the day of the week where they can get the biggest ratings.

i remember reading somewhere that the supply drops would be explained properly before the end of the series. it wasnt touched upon at all. am i missing something?

Yeah, you'd think Dharma or the Hanso Foundation would've realized over the last 25 years that nobody is left on the island to get those packages... you'd think it'd come up.

Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

Custom member title

• Admin
  • 8,664 posts
- Does the protector of the Island have some kind of crazy super strength? Jacob's mother seemingly killed all of MiB's men and buried the well where they found the light. Was she both good and evil (Jacob and Smokey)?

- Why does Desmond have this special ability to access the light? And if Jacob knew this, why didn't he use Desmond to turn off the light and kill Smokey a long time ago?

- So Desmond was able to see forward and backward through time, but also seemingly into the afterlife (the flash-sideways). But why was he the one to "awaken" everyone? And what significance did Eloise Hawking have in all that? Why didn't she want him to "awaken" people in the afterlife?

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,519 posts

- Does the protector of the Island have some kind of crazy super strength? Jacob's mother seemingly killed all of MiB's men and buried the well where they found the light. Was she both good and evil (Jacob and Smokey)?

It was theorized (not proven and I'm not sure even substantiated) that Mommy had some smoke monster tendencies herself which is how she accomplished destroying the camp. That's definitely unanswered though.

- Why does Desmond have this special ability to access the light? And if Jacob knew this, why didn't he use Desmond to turn off the light and kill Smokey a long time ago?

The light was a source of intense electro-magnetic properties- which Desmond had unique resistance to; that's why he could go down there (and not be turned into a smoke monster). Jacob might not have known this, Jack seemed to have the epiphany of what sending Desmond down there would accomplish. Obviously the MiB thought it would have different results so maybe Jacob did too?

- So Desmond was able to see forward and backward through time, but also seemingly into the afterlife (the flash-sideways). But why was he the one to "awaken" everyone? And what significance did Eloise Hawking have in all that? Why didn't she want him to "awaken" people in the afterlife?

Desmond saw the Alternate, but he (on Island) wasn't entirely sure what it was. That's when he was down at the source and was telling Jack that if he did it then everything would be okay, he sat next to him on 815 etc etc. He thought he was seeing another reality, he didn't realize it was the meeting point. When it didn't immediately transfer them there he thought he failed. Why was it him? Not sure. Dunno about Hawking either. I think part of the reason she didn't want Desmond to awaken people was because she didn't want to lose her son, maybe. Would have to go check her dialogue in their initial meeting again.

Tex

Tex

• Members
  • 3,225 posts
What about the statue? First, why is it there and who built it? Second, what reduced it to simply a foot. Thirdly, what's with the missing toe on the foot?

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,631 posts
I really don't have any questions.

General Kenobi

General Kenobi

Crazy Old Wizard

• Members
  • 4,199 posts

She tells Jacob that going down there is a fate worse than death... And then she thanks MIB for killing her. It's entirely possible that she's the protector and a smoke monster at this point.

My guess is that by turning the key, Desmond changed himself somehow... it's why, in the wake of that incident, he starts seeing things. He never saw them before, so my guess is that it was the emplosion at he Swan that made him how he is.

He was the one because he chose to be. Maybe if Charlie hadn't been chasing a high, he'd have done it. Desmond was the first to awaken and not be an addict or a loon (eg Libby). So, he took it on himself.

As for Eloise Hawking, that too is pretty simple. She not only killed her son, she then set up the events that would cause her to kill him... she's feeling guilty and doesn't want to let go of him just yet... Once again, she's a selfish hag.

What about the statue? First, why is it there and who built it? Second, what reduced it to simply a foot. Thirdly, what's with the missing toe on the foot?

I'll answer in reverse order... It had 4 toes for the same reason that Mickey Mouse has 4 fingers... just a representation. Secondly, we saw the statue destroyed in the storm that brought Richard and the Black Rock to the island. It was there when they were washing in, and it was destroyed when Richard got out of the ship. And who built it? Well, the money is on Egyptians. Probably the same folks that built the original structures on the island. That well with the cork was built. The ducts leading into it were built. The infrastructure of the island seems to indicate Egyptian origin... So, barring anything else, we can safely conclude it was ancient Egyptians who somehow did it all.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,519 posts
I also think that it was a way of showing us that people had been finding their way/brought to the Island for a long, long time.

General Kenobi

General Kenobi

Crazy Old Wizard

• Members
  • 4,199 posts

I also think that it was a way of showing us that people had been finding their way/brought to the Island for a long, long time.

Yeah, presuming the whole Romans thing wasn't already a tip-off.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
Yeah the statue was Tawaret, the Egyptian godess of Fertility. Hence it was probably built by Egyptians.

Like Ryn I really don't have any questions. Not any that really pertain to the story. There are things that are obviously just storylines they didn't have time to take up, which I can accept, and there are things that weren't completely explained but we were given enough information to make our own judgements on.

Tex

Tex

• Members
  • 3,225 posts
How's this for timing? Now that Lost is over, we finally get Smokey's real name: Samuel.

http://jezebel.com/5...s-name-revealed

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,519 posts
That was also his name in the initial casting call, be interesting to see if that's actually the name. Personally, I had settled on just not knowing lol. Figures.

The Stool Sample

The Stool Sample

Sexual Chocolate

• Supporters
  • 5,805 posts
I'd like to know why the Smoke detector went off when Jack saw his father in the real-world. As if pointing to the fact that smokey was portraying Christian. Yet, the whole issue of Smokey not being allowed to leave makes me wonder what that was all about.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,519 posts
Well, it didn't go off I think it was just beeping because it was out of a battery, no? I always just thought that was a red-herring.

Also, wasn't that during the time when Jack was a raging alcoholic so it isn't entirely out of the question that he was just hallucinating?

General Kenobi

General Kenobi

Crazy Old Wizard

• Members
  • 4,199 posts
And in retrospect, we have to conclude that he was either seeing things or that that actually was his dad. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be, but that's the only way it works now.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,309 posts
I don't have any questions because we're not getting any more answers any time soon. Damon and Carlton are going to hide under their beds for a couple months. Eventually they'll come out with a book or interview or whatever and probably answer some more things, but who really cares. If it wasn't answered within the show it doesn't really matter.

Like any truly great love affair, Lost was awesome but infuriating, fun but irritating, nurturing but absent a time or two when we needed it most. And like any truly great love affair, once its over you're always going to have a couple unanswered questions you'll never get an answer to. That's just the way it is.

It was a great ride, probably the best any series has ever taken me on, and they really only had one true ****up in their entire six year run. That's pretty impressive for a long running series. Hell, 24 would have entire seasons that were totally ****ed up and it's one of my top five favorite series ever.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,519 posts
They've actually said a lot of unanswered material will get answers in the box set. I believe that (teehee) and still think it will fit within the framework of the show. Granted, not sure about spending the 200 bucks, but I'll still wanna know what all is said!

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,383 posts
I was under the impression it was just on the season set. Or did they specifically say the fancy pants box set?

Either way, the answers will be online.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,519 posts
Oh, I dunno. Could be, wasn't really paying that much attention. But you're right- they'll be online either way.