Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The End

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Iceheart

Iceheart

your argument is invalid

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 19,209 posts

People like Micheal and Walt didn't change on The Island and so don't need to remember in the same way the others did. Micheal said it himself, he's stuck roaming around The Island until he can make peace with himself.

They changed. Walt pretty much came of age on the Island, developed his psychic powers (for all the good it did plot-wise), and befriended Locke. Michael really became a father for the first time, befriended Jin, and even answered the call to go back to the Island. Like I said, they had as much reason to be there as Boone and Shannon, really. And also like I said, if it's limbo and time is elastic - everyone in the group should hit the point where they can move on together at the same time.

dont wanna see any spin-offs, games, etc. it ended. it's over. as much as i want to see more of these characters i just dont think i need any more LOST.

Amen!

And in regards to the church scene at the end, we were seeing everyone through Jack's eyes. How HE remembered them. That would be how Jack would see them in the afterlife, etc. Aaron may have lived to be 75 years old, but Jack knows Aaron as a baby. Hence, that is how Jack would view Aaron.

k, I like this explanation.

LadyGuinevere

LadyGuinevere

Taking on the world with an innocent smile

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
So late to the party I don't think I really have anything else to add? I liked it... I didn't cry (as I will often do), but I did feel teary. It was fitting closure to the characters (if not necessarily to the mythology). I loved the Sawyer/Juliet scene... that was one of the things that made me well up most. Prior to that I had been annoyed that Juliet was Jack's ex-wife as it always seemed the easy solution, but when I thought on it afterwards it kinda made sense.

*edit* Just remembered something... there was a skeleton at the bottom of the cave; I presumed this to be indicating that this is not the first time something like this has happened. And it probably won't be the last.

Edited by LadyGuinevere, 25 May 2010 - 01:20 PM.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,371 posts
There were at least 2 skeletons down there!

And upon watching it again, I already knew Juliets line about getting coffee went back to this seasons premiere, but on second viewing, she also says 'it worked'. And during the premiere everybody assumed she was talking about the bomb, but she was actually talking about unplugging the candy machine for his apollo bar. hahaha

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

And upon watching it again, I already knew Juliets line about getting coffee went back to this seasons premiere, but on second viewing, she also says 'it worked'. And during the premiere everybody assumed she was talking about the bomb, but she was actually talking about unplugging the candy machine for his apollo bar. hahaha

Hahaha, that is incredible! Talk about a red herring. I wonder what else in the sideways will seem different upon rewatching. I'd imagine it carries more emotional weight now.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,200 posts
Yeah, I think there was a ****load of skeletons down there. A lot of people have tried it.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,417 posts

They changed. Walt pretty much came of age on the Island, developed his psychic powers (for all the good it did plot-wise), and befriended Locke. Michael really became a father for the first time, befriended Jin, and even answered the call to go back to the Island. Like I said, they had as much reason to be there as Boone and Shannon, really. And also like I said, if it's limbo and time is elastic - everyone in the group should hit the point where they can move on together at the same time.

I have to completely disagree!

Walt was a child, there was no way that The Island was the most important part of his life. Sure it changed the rest of his life but he had no real connection to the other Losties. Micheal killed two people and had lost his way on The Island. He actually says it himself when Hurley sees him as a 'whisperer'. He is pretty much doomed roam that Island

And in regards to the church scene at the end, we were seeing everyone through Jack's eyes. How HE remembered them. That would be how Jack would see them in the afterlife, etc. Aaron may have lived to be 75 years old, but Jack knows Aaron as a baby. Hence, that is how Jack would view Aaron.

See I saw the whole alt-flashes as being everybodies stories. A way to chart and show how they had all changed.

Christian said that they all 'had to remember what they had done in order to move on' so the Alt-world was made to provide them with reminders of the moments that had changed them. For Claire this was becoming a mother so she had to 'give birth to Aaron', Sun and Jin needed their baby to remind them of what they meant to one another, the many ill-fated lovers (Sawyer, Charlie, Juliet, Sayid, Shannon etc) it was the loves they had had but lost.

Everything there was built to make them realise how their time on The Island had changed them and to do so without even mentioning The island, because it wasn't the place that changed them it was the characters.

Wambli Olowan

Wambli Olowan

• Members
  • 438 posts
THe LOST finale has made me calm again . . . . . . . .. . . I have had sooooooo much angst about the fact that, LOST, which has been such a large part of my life for 6 years, was coming to an end. I am satisfied, and I am grateful for that.

Following my mastectomy in Feb, my sister spent a week with me and caught the LOST' bug'. She drank the kool-aid and since February, she has imersed herself in learning the story. Today, she thanked me for giving her the 'gift' of LOST. She and I both hope that when we die, we will be united with those that we love and have been through extradinary times with, and, that we will recognize them, because we will see them as we knew them.

I see the LOST journey as a gift as well. I have become close friends with people I would have never connected with without LOST. I will remember you, in this forum, always . . . . . . .especially you Shawdow Dog . . . .. . . . . you are a dog indeed . . . . .LOL . . . . . . . .. and I love you ! I love you all for enhancing my LOST experience. Not many days have passed, over the past 6 years, that I have missed checking this forum to read your insights into this amazing story. I have no friends, or family, that I have checked in on to see what they were thinking, about any topic, as I have checked in on with all of you. And I agree, with someone here that said, we are a particularly high level group of thinkers on LOST ! ! ! ! I thank you all, again ! ! ! !

It is fitting that the Losties shared a mystical time on the island, and now they go on to share the mystical experience of the afterlife.

And, Sayid did mention Shannon again. Remember when we first saw Ben as Henry Gale, and Sayid asked him how deep, how many stones he placed on his wifes grave . . . . . . . . .he knew Benry was lying because he knew exactly what it took to bury Shannon. His love for Nadia could never be consumated, but his brief time with Shannon was joyful, and not laden with burdens.

I was pleased with the skeletons in the cave, as someone else has already said, this is a struggle that has gone on before we learned of Jack's story, and will continue as time goes on . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Edited by Wambli Olowan, 25 May 2010 - 05:09 PM.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,412 posts
Great connection with Sayid and Shannon there! Well done.

Wambli Olowan

Wambli Olowan

• Members
  • 438 posts
Thanks, Lucas1138.

Dag-o-baa

Dag-o-baa

Girl from Mars

• Members
  • 4,171 posts
Hey so I told everyone at work this is how it ended
Posted Image

...some people believed me :lol:
  • The Maker +1 this

Dag-o-baa

Dag-o-baa

Girl from Mars

• Members
  • 4,171 posts
BTW: the stickers on Christian's Oceanic box are BWN (Brunei) HKG (Hong Kong) LAX and GUM - Guam :lol:

LadyGuinevere

LadyGuinevere

Taking on the world with an innocent smile

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
Okay, so I ended up watching the last 45 minutes again as there was nothing else on.

This time I cried :(

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,417 posts
/much more emotional when you realise they are all dead isn't it!

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 18,503 posts

Yeah, but if the explanation is that you travel into whatever the afterlife is together with the group of people most important to you... I could buy David Shepherd being a construct, but you'd think Charlie Hume would be there. Either that, or all of the parents I know who say they live for their children are spouting crap. Aaron and Ji Yeon... we assume they grew up and lived long and hopefully happy lives. Even if they didn't, we know they both made it to age three. We're also working under the assumption that everyone returns to the age they were during the most consequential parts of their lives, since, well, I'd like to think Lapidus' plane didn't crash and take Sawyer and Claire out, or that they died somehow right after they got off the Island. I'd be sad if Aaron's importance bottomed out at less than 24 hours old, and Ji Yeon didn't even make it into the sunlight before she hit her peak. I'm not upset about them being abandoned plot points, I'm just wondering why they weren't in the church at the end, or at least there at a more developed point in their life. It doesn't jive with Christian's explanation, at least the way I understood it. Unless mom and dad aren't part of the circle they need to travel in.

Ben. If time is elastic, you'd think that if it took 20 years for one person to be ready, and 1 for another, that those 20 years could be lived in the same space as the one... that you'd have all the time you need. Kinda like how you can dream a week's worth of events, complete with mornings and evenings, and still only have slept from bedtime to when your alarm goes off in the morning, meanwhile some dreams in the same amount of time seem like they take maybe five minutes of real time. With Ben, like I said earlier, the most important people to him are Alex, Rousseau, his father, and possibly Richard. So, his "not ready yet" probably has more to do with them all needing to be copasetic. But that doesn't explain Michael and Walt's absence. They formed as many connections to the rest of the main characters as Shannon and Boone and Rose and Bernard did.

Christian said it in his speech to Jack, The Island was the most important part of these peoples lives because it changed them. Thats why they all had to remember this before they moved on to the next plane of life. If they could remember what they did on The Island, the people that they changed into rather than the people that they were when they arrived there, then they would be happy and allow themselves to move on.

People like Micheal and Walt didn't change on The Island and so don't need to remember in the same way the others did. Micheal said it himself, he's stuck roaming around The Island until he can make peace with himself. Ben really didn't change much on The Island, he did a number of good things but also so terrible ones. As such he is still in that place, trying to find the things that he can forgive himself for. Aaron won't even remember The Island so there is no point in him being there. He was 'reborn' as it were to help Kate, Charlie and Claire remember what they did. The same with Ji Yeon for Sun and Jin.

We've all said it before, everybodies lives SUCKED before they got to The Island. I could go through a number of them but we all know how they changed and evolved into better people. Thats why Jacob took them, thats why they were on The Island in the first place, to show that people can change.

The comment about the place 'not having time' was more meant to mean that it was out of one single timestream (ie. if you died and then your friend did 20 years later you'd both still arrive at the same time), not that time didn't pass there. I'm sure that eventually Ben may forgive himself and get to move on, the same with Eloise, but it wasn't his time yet.

The whole finale pretty much convinced me that we have seen Jack's story. It begins with him and ends with him. Sure there are loose threads hanging about with what happened to Hurley and Ben? What happened to Kate? etc but thats wasn't the story we were being told.

This is a great post. This post clears up any slight loose ends that I may have had in my mind, and fixes them. Very good information, and I agree.

Wambli Olowan

Wambli Olowan

• Members
  • 438 posts
Maybe Ben is waiting for Alex and Daniele to remember, and then move on, let go, with them.

Evolence

Evolence

• Members
  • 11,872 posts

Maybe Ben is waiting for Alex and Daniele to remember, and then move on, let go, with them.

I've thought that THIS might be the case with Ben for awhile now.

Nomaa Jedi Piarra

Nomaa Jedi Piarra

Easy as 1 - 2 - 3

• Members
  • 6,016 posts

Hey so I told everyone at work this is how it ended
Posted Image

...some people believed me :lol:

Haha, that was good.

It was all Vincent's dream