Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The End

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,549 posts

It all boils down to this:

Nobody does finales like Lost.

Quoted for truth. This finale took the BSG finale behind the woodshed and whipped its ass bloody! :drool:

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,432 posts
This is true, this is true.

I thought Ben and Richard would die for sure, but I'm very glad to see that they did not. And Richards anti-aging seemed to stop too, despite him now showing up at the end. But I assume he was with his wife.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• Members
  • 15,018 posts
My wife had a really good point after watching this with me, what if some of those people weren't Catholic?

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,432 posts
They never say it's a heaven. They are pretty vague on exactly where they're going. I suppose you could plug it into any religion.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,549 posts
It wouldn't have mattered. The church was just a metaphor. In fact, I doubt that every person there saw the church in exactly the same way.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• Members
  • 15,018 posts
I'm seeing a somewhat plausible theory float around amongst friends on Twitter and Facebook right now, what if the island itself was part of the purgatory that they were living in? They might have died on the plane to begin with, and the island was only a portal to the next step of purgatory.

Don't know if I buy into that, personally.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,549 posts
I don't buy it. Not for the least reason that the show runners killed that theory back in season one.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,432 posts
Yeah, it's an interesting idea, but I don't buy into it either. Plus Christian makes a point to tell Jack that everything mattered, and spoke of his time on the island as if it were part of his living existence.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• Members
  • 15,018 posts
I've missed a lot of episodes from Seasons 3 to 5, so now that it is over maybe you guys can fill me in. The finale didn't exactly explain a lot of the mystical properties of the island. For example, why can it move? Or how do they travel through time on it?

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,432 posts
Well, they get into that a bit in those seasons, and trying to explain it all here isn't going to do it justice.

But just like the finale, the answers are all still quite vague. But it would seem that a lot of the islands special properties have to do with electro magnetism.

And the moving and the time travel are the same thing, I think. When they 'moved' the island in season 4, they started skipping through time.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,836 posts
That's a whole other thread D-Ray lol. Might check out the articles on Lostpedia for your easiest answer.

I agree with TR and Dex about time not mattering, Christian said as much. "Now" and "where" don't matter or whatever it was he said. Ah, so awesome.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,432 posts
Time for Kimmel! I want to see the alternate endings.

Tex

Tex

• Members
  • 3,379 posts
The only hole I see is that Michael got left behind. At first I didn't like the fact that Christian made it back to the LAX storyline, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

Also, I love the way Bernard and Rose just showed up at the church with no explanation.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,018 posts
It ended in a very Titanic like ending where everyone came back together in the end. I liked it. Figured it would end that way about 20 minutes into it.

Iceheart

Iceheart

your argument is invalid

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 19,209 posts

I liked it and I didn't like it.

There are LOTS of things I liked about it, but I guess I just wanted more. Like, I wanted to see the plane land safely. I wanted to see Claire reunite with Aaron. And they didn't give me enough explanation about the sideways flashes for me to be happy about them. Like.. I'm getting the impression that when all those people died, whether it was before Jack or long after Jack, they all ended up in that timeline until they could all figure it out. But essentially, they were dead at that time. Is that about the gist of it? Not sure.

^ this.

It wouldn't have mattered. The church was just a metaphor. In fact, I doubt that every person there saw the church in exactly the same way.

Did you notice the imagery in the "church?" A cross next to a menorah next to a Buddha next to a picture of Krishna by a Black Madonna... the stained glass window had the symbols of the major religions, too. I think it's supposed to represent all religions.

I'm seeing a somewhat plausible theory float around amongst friends on Twitter and Facebook right now, what if the island itself was part of the purgatory that they were living in? They might have died on the plane to begin with, and the island was only a portal to the next step of purgatory.

Don't know if I buy into that, personally.

The final scenes of the wreckage would certainly make that sound plausible.

The only hole I see is that Michael got left behind. At first I didn't like the fact that Christian made it back to the LAX storyline, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

Also, I love the way Bernard and Rose just showed up at the church with no explanation.

And Walt. It's weird that Hurley moved on before everyone that was on the Island moved on, too... since he was the protector, you'd think he'd stick around to help them all through.

Rose and Bernard weren't totally inexplicable, Rose met with Locke earlier in the season, and Bernard met with Jack just a few episodes ago. They've had contact.

Also, if Jack and Juliet had a kid in this purgatory timeline, what happened to him?

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,018 posts
Oh Christ shut the black people up on my facebook, please! This is bombarding the feed..

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,836 posts
Maybe David was something Jack 'created' in that existence to fill a void he never got to in his other life?

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
When I saw the imagery on the stained-glass window, that's when I knew for sure. The entire finale had its share of hints that I was catching, but wasn't entirely sure till then. I knew the casket would be empty then. The Jack/Christian stuff was fantastic. I expected it when Jack restored the light, though. I personally loved it, but I'm worn out emotionally to write more at the moment, as goofy as that might sound. :)

tripsbacks

tripsbacks

• Members
  • 461 posts
Now I understand the ending of the episode when Mr. Eko died and it showed him with his little brother when they were young. Makes perfect sense now.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,432 posts
Fox on Kimmel had kind of a good summary, in that in some religions, when you die, you get kinda put in a waiting area so to speak, maybe purgatory, I dunno. And while you are there, you have to find all of the important people in your life who brought you to that point and made you who you were before you're allowed to move on.

Something to that effect. He worded it a lot better than I did, but it makes a lot of sense.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,836 posts
The Kimmel bit started off great then really tailed off. But there's only so much you can do with an hour (comedy) show. The thing he said that I agree with most was: "If you're still looking for answers... then you missed the point anyway." Or something to that effect. Really do agree. I think they answered everything they needed to and really wrapped it up with this episode. It should be able to give you closure on all the things you need closure on- if not everything you want.

Oh and my single biggest triumph this evening was during the Juliet/Sawyer meet up. I've been calling that since LAX! Only a few of you believed (with) me, but dammit we were right! I did a literal fist pump when she said they should get coffee sometime.

Also- I wanna know how well the dialogue during Aaron's birth scene matches up with the scene in season 1. Would imagine it was almost verbatim.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,432 posts
I would agree with that. There are a lot more things I'd of liked to have seen, but I suppose they can't show us everything. I think I will like the ending more when I can let it sink in and take it for what it is.

But I do like that the series opened and closed on Jack, and that the whole thing was actually quite Jack central.

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
I don't get how emotional people got over this. A lot of people on other boards were talking about they cried at the end. Not felt like crying, literally cried. I loved the entier finale, every moment of it, but I don't get the crying.

Oh and my single biggest triumph this evening was during the Juliet/Sawyer meet up. I've been calling that since LAX! Only a few of you believed (with) me, but dammit we were right! I did a literal fist pump when she said they should get coffee sometime.

But you were wrong about Frank.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 16,836 posts
I was right about enough. I couldn't care less about Frank Lapidus.

As far as crying goes. It just depends. On how emotional you are to begin with for one. Just how connected you feel to the characters, how invested you feel in the show's six year run. I welled up several times tonight. Reasons ranging from some truly touching moments (with the sideways flashes) to just being sad that it's over. I've really only invested the past 3.5 months into LOST (albeit a lot of time during that period) so I can't imagine how people feel who have really cared about this show over the past SIX years.

Oh and how bout Rose's flash potentially coming from the turbulence on the plane then telling Jack he could "Let go." When Jimmy showed that bit on his show, Rose's line really stood out to me, given the importance of that line in particular.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,432 posts
I've been deeply invested since it first aired, and I didn't out and out cry at all in this episode. I did get a little watery eyed a couple of times, but not as much as I'd thought I would.

To me, the most tear enducing scene in the whole series was in season 4, when Desmond called Penny from the freighter.