Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Woman commits suicide after being rejected for over 200 jobs

61 replies to this topic

Jaycie

Jaycie

Souless Automaton

• Members
  • 11,497 posts

A bright 21-year-old killed herself after more than 200 unsuccessful job applications.

Vicky Harrison had dreamed of a career as a teacher or a television producer, but gave up hope for the future, her family said yesterday.

A day after her latest rejection, and on the eve of her fortnightly trip to sign on, she wrote heartbreaking notes to her parents and boyfriend saying 'I don't want to be me any more' and took a huge drug overdose.

Posted Image Vicky Harrison died after taking a a massive drug overdose. Her mother said: 'Vicky found it humiliating that she had been out of work for so long and couldn't take it any more'

Her death last month tragically highlights the human cost of the highest level of joblessness since the mid-1990s. Rising youth unemployment has led to warnings about a 'lost generation'.

Miss Harrison's devastated parents called yesterday for more help for young jobseekers, telling how the never-ending search for work had driven their daughter to despair.

Her father Tony, 53, said: 'I lost track of the different types of jobs she applied for. It was really hard seeing her confidence suffer after each rejection. She just wanted to work and earn some cash. I didn't realise how hard it would be to get a job.'

Miss Harrison grew up in Darwen, Lancashire, and passed ten good GCSEs at Moorland High School before gaining A-levels in film and media studies and English language at Runshaw College, Leyland.

She won a place at South Bank University in London to study film and media studies, but quit after a year because she was not enjoying the course.

Back home, she set her sights on teaching, applying for secretarial or dinner lady jobs at local schools in the hope of becoming a teaching assistant.

Posted Image Vicky with boyfriend Nathan Howarth: He and Vicky's family are calling for more support for unemployed young people

Miss Harrison, who was on 51-a-week Jobseeker's Allowance, finally lowered her sights in a bid to simply earn some money, but even applications for waitressing jobs got nowhere.

She asked supermarkets, including Tesco, for work stacking shelves or at check-ins and visited shops such as WH Smith and McDonald's inquiring in vain about sales positions.

Over the two years after she left college her family estimate she applied for more than 200 jobs.

'In the end it obviously got her down to such a point that she felt she had no future,' said her father, a former joiner.

On March 30 Miss Harrison received yet another rejection, from a nursery, and the next day her father found her dead in the lounge, surrounded by empty pill packets and bottles.

She left three suicide notes - one each for her parents, and one for her boyfriend, Nathan Haworth, 22.

They read: 'It's just that I don't want to be me any more.

Posted Image Bright future: Vicky at age five

'Please don't be sad. It's not your fault. I want everybody in life to be HAPPY.'

Her mother Louise, 43, added: 'Vicky was a bright, bubbly and clever girl but she became depressed at not being able to find a job. Vicky found it humiliating that she had been out of work for so long and couldn't take it any more. We are struggling to come to terms with it. Vicky is and always was special.'

Mr Harrison said: 'She was such a gorgeous girl and had a stunning smile. She was clever too. There was no reason why she shouldn't have been able to find a job.

'I am sure that the latest rejection letter combined with the fact that she had to go and sign on the next day was too much for her.

'She had decided university was not for her but she never expected to struggle so much to find a job. The timing was unlucky because of the recession.'

Mr Harrison added: 'I think she was upset that she had no money and she felt she was losing touch with her friends because she couldn't go out. She never wanted any charity and that is why she was so desperate for work.

'What upsets us so much is that there are obviously so many other people in a similar position.'

Miss Harrison's family and boyfriend hope to set up a foundation in her memory to help young people struggling to find work.

'It needs to be a place where people can talk and understand that this is not the end of the world,' said Mr Haworth. 'Some good needs to come from Vicky's death.'

Figures published this week showed that 4,045 18-to-24 year olds in East Lancashire were claiming Jobseeker's Allowance last month, compared to 2,730 in July 2008, before the recession.

Nationally, youth unemployment rose to 929,000 for the December to February period, up 4,000 on the previous three months, with the overall total hitting 2.5million.

Critics say Labour policies are creating a 'lost generation' of school leavers unable to find employment.

source

This is really sad, I can't imagine what being rejected that many times would do to someone's self-esteem. The economy is really rough right now though. I've never had issues getting a job and for the first time I'm not getting any callbacks, even from my standard fallback places.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,378 posts
Well, at least she succeeded in killing herself so she wasn't a complete failure at everything.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 19,780 posts
I hate to say it, but back when the economy was strong in 2005/2006, I applied to AT LEAST 100 positions before even getting a call back. My husband had a difficult job search, as well.

I don't want to sound insensitive, but it sounds like she had some really weird expectations for how to accomplish her goals and the types of jobs she was applying to. Many of the jobs she wanted sounded like they required a degree or special training, of which she didn't have. Businesses don't want to train employees; it costs them money. It's hard starting out, and if you don't have education or experience, you're going to be beaten out by someone who does.

Evolence

Evolence

• Members
  • 12,006 posts
That's a rather callous remark, SD. This saddens me, because I'm finishing school right now and face the same tough job market that everyone else faces. There's no work in my chosen field (that isn't seasonal), so I'm looking for pretty much any old job that will just pay the bills.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
200 rejections is a lot-- but if anyone thinks that is the only reason she killed herself, they are mistaken. That could have been a huge contributing factor to her depression, but she either had a lot of other problems or was mentally suspect. I don't like her parents saying it's because of that, and I like even less that the media spins it into a commentary on the economy.

Bethany

Bethany

Me kasa su kasa

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
Uhm.

She had more issues than not finding a job after 200 applications.

Jaycie

Jaycie

Souless Automaton

• Members
  • 11,497 posts
I think that's where a lot of people are right now. I'm just grateful I have a substantial savings and Nate's working or I'd be pretty stressed about it all. I think you're right though Destiny, a lot of people without experience often come out expecting more than what is reasonable. My sister really struggled with it when my grandparents told her it was time to move out of their house. She's been bouncing from job to miserable job for the past 3 years and still expects to make more than I do on average. At least her live in boyfriend is pretty well off so she doesn't "have" to work but he told her she either had to be his housegirlfriend and cook and clean for him or get a job. My sister does not clean.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,378 posts

That's a rather callous remark, SD.

Sorry, I totally thought JC posted this in Lando! Jesus, I need to get used to this arrangement of Supporters Forum, Cantina, then Lando because I'm used to Lando being the second forum down. So I just automatically rolled into this thread like it was a Lando thread.

Having said that, the sentiment remains the same for me. There's no good reason to kill yourself, but this is one of the worst reasons I think of. Money is just a ****ing means to an end. Period. And a job is just a means to get the money which is a means to an end. So what the hell are you doing killing yourself over not finding a job? Just boggles my mind.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 18,533 posts
Wow, is that sad. What a shame.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Members
  • 14,073 posts
Sounds like she had reasonable goals, actually. Become a lunch lady and then work her way up to teachers assistant. Reasonable.

And it's not just the money, it's the rejection and embarrassment. I honestly don't know that I would have survived unemployment without my wife, and I was eventually forced to accept a job well beneath my experience and education. But for a while I couldn't even get McDonalds to look at me. I'm a reasonably well adjusted guy, positive self-image, intelligent, hard-working, and it was still painful for me. For someone who doesn't have all that going for them? I can totally understand that level of constant rejection being too much.

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
Very sad. I have never been suicidal over it but I have always hated job hunting. I love to work but yeah job hunting sucks. Like others said she probably had other issues going on with her but still that is a young life gone. Terrible for her family.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,609 posts
All her suicide did was prove to the 200 companies that rejected her that they were correct. Nobody wants to hire a quitter and she...well, quit.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 19,780 posts

Sounds like she had reasonable goals, actually. Become a lunch lady and then work her way up to teachers assistant. Reasonable.

I guess I don't see how she thought lunch lady would lead to teacher's assistant. Head lunch lady, maybe. But you need special training to be a teaching assistant. Heck, now they probably want someone with lunch lady experience! With the job situation so bad, companies can ask for anything they want, and they'll ask for a lot because they can, and also because it makes their job easier because they can weed out candidates easier. Unfortunately, yes, the deck was stacked against her. But she needed to find a way to make herself qualified.

However, I agree with others who have said her issues went beyond not being able to get a job. Yes, the job search contributed to the situation, but it shouldn't have been the only factor.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,378 posts

And it's not just the money, it's the rejection and embarrassment. I honestly don't know that I would have survived unemployment without my wife, and I was eventually forced to accept a job well beneath my experience and education. But for a while I couldn't even get McDonalds to look at me. I'm a reasonably well adjusted guy, positive self-image, intelligent, hard-working, and it was still painful for me. For someone who doesn't have all that going for them? I can totally understand that level of constant rejection being too much.

That makes sense. I guess being rejected all five million times I asked girls out in high school hardened me to getting kicked in the nuts by life. It definitely helped during that five year span when I sent out manuscripts every ****ing week and got rejected every time which eventually led me to go from novel writing to filmmaking. I'm not being flip either, I really do think it helped because it was hard getting rejected every week by publishers.

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts

All her suicide did was prove to the 200 companies that rejected her that they were correct. Nobody wants to hire a quitter and she...well, quit.

Or maybe she had clinical depression or bipolar or had one of 100 other mental issues. Sorry but I don't get why people get so judgmental over a stranger committing suicide. Especially when we don't have all the facts.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,609 posts

Or maybe she had clinical depression or bipolar or had one of 100 other mental issues. Sorry but I don't get why people get so judgmental over a stranger committing suicide. Especially when we don't have all the facts.

I'm not saying she didn't have issues and I'm not judging her; I was just stating a fact. She quit in the end. Sad, but quitting isn't a quality I look for in a new hire employee.

RelentlessMalice

RelentlessMalice

• Members
  • 818 posts

I guess I don't see how she thought lunch lady would lead to teacher's assistant. Head lunch lady, maybe. But you need special training to be a teaching assistant. Heck, now they probably want someone with lunch lady experience! With the job situation so bad, companies can ask for anything they want, and they'll ask for a lot because they can, and also because it makes their job easier because they can weed out candidates easier. Unfortunately, yes, the deck was stacked against her. But she needed to find a way to make herself qualified.

However, I agree with others who have said her issues went beyond not being able to get a job. Yes, the job search contributed to the situation, but it shouldn't have been the only factor.

Actually a lot of people including myself had to start at a much lower position before I could become a teacher at my school. It is not always what you know but who you know that counts in the job market these days. I started off as a security guard and worked my way up and got to know everyone at the school. Did my job well, had good management of misguided students, etc.....The administration knew I was wanting to become a teacher, but there were no positions open so at certain times when there was no sub available they put me in the classroom and they would come in a watch me and see how I did and after a year of doing the security job I made a good enough impression to be put on the short list for a teaching job due to my degrees I had. The security job was simply a jumping off point for me. Actually the key to becoming a teacher quickly is "Get on good terms with the principals secretary" If she likes you then you are in.

Anyway this is a very sad case I must say. I have a friend who has applied to over 1200 positions and still no one will hire her. She was fired from her job of 8 years 2 years ago as a manager for nothing she did, but company politics. She had just bought a house and a new car and then boom FIRED, and since then due to the fact she is

A. Female

B. Overweight female

She has been simply passed over by many companies and had a horrible and down right weird job interviews. It has been very trying and depressing. She is actually moving out of state to go and find work, because the job market has dried up here and out of those 1200 positions, probably 50 were out of state and 5 of those she went out of state to interview for.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
I know somebody even fatter.

And she applied for ONE BILLION positions.
  • NumberSix +1 this

RelentlessMalice

RelentlessMalice

• Members
  • 818 posts

I know somebody even fatter.

And she applied for ONE BILLION positions.

I'm being serious. She is convinced it is the reason why she hasn't gotten the job many times is she isn't the "trophy female employee" they are looking for.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• Members
  • 13,704 posts
I feel bad when I say that usually I only apply for a couple of jobs and then bam, I get one.

Sulis

Sulis

Rabid Ranga

• Members
  • 4,293 posts

I don't want to sound insensitive, but it sounds like she had some really weird expectations for how to accomplish her goals and the types of jobs she was applying to. Many of the jobs she wanted sounded like they required a degree or special training, of which she didn't have

I had no weird expectations when I was unemployed. I applied for what I was qualified and when that didn't work I lowered my expectations and STILL didn't get anywhere. It took me 12 months to get my current position and along the way I was very depressed and had my confidence squashed. If it hadn't been for my friends I would have ended up on prozac or something and one of my friends even offered to pay for counselling for me. I would have accepted if I hadn't got my current job, fortunately I did.

The people making negative comments here sound like they have never experienced depression or loss. Lucky you if you haven't :unimpressed:

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Grand Master Whango Mittphool

• Members
  • 33,162 posts

I'm not saying she didn't have issues and I'm not judging her; I was just stating a fact. She quit in the end. Sad, but quitting isn't a quality I look for in a new hire employee.

But when you are ****ed in the head, you don't think logically.

I am lucky; I got very depressed while looking for jobs but I never had suicidal thoughts because thankfully my brain does not work that way. If I had those tendencies though, and had some sort of imbalance, I probably would have.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• Moderators
  • 27,179 posts
Maybe it's because some of you can't relate that you find it so hard to find any compassion. Jesus...

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts
Very sad story, RIP.

Sonny

Sonny

Scared of MonkeyDog

• Members
  • 3,593 posts

Well, at least she succeeded in killing herself so she wasn't a complete failure at everything.

Joking aside, you can be such an ass sometimes.

Reply to this topic