Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jenny McCarthy's son does not have autism

8 replies to this topic

Ender

Ender

Calmer than you are

• Members
  • 9,232 posts

February 26th, 2010
New Report Says: Jenny McCarthy’s Son May Not Have Had Autism After All

After years of speaking out about her son’s autism — and against childhood immunizations — Jenny McCarthy is reversing her position.

After years of speaking publicly about her belief that MMR shots (immunization for measles, mumps, and rubella) caused her son to suffer from autism, Jenny McCarthy now faces the reality that her 7-year-old son Evan — who no longer shows any signs of autism — may likely have lived with completely different illness.

A new article in Time magazine — which Jenny was interviewed for — suggests Evan suffers from Landau-Kleffner syndrome, “a rare childhood neurological disorder that can also result in speech impairment and possible long-term neurological damage.”

Many applaud Jenny, who has never stopped fighting to help her son since his autism diagnosis in 2005. Others say her claims about immunizations have labeled “a menace to public health” by the Center of Disease Control.

Jenny talks about her son’s progress saying, “Evan couldn’t talk — now he talks. Evan couldn’t make eye contact — now he makes eye contact. Evan was anti-social — now he makes friends. It was amazing to watch … when something didn’t work for Evan, I didn’t stop. I stopped that treatment, but I didn’t stop.”

And she is also reversing her initial position that the MMR shots caused Evan’s autism. Jenny says she wants vaccinations better researched — rather than getting rid of them altogether. And though her son may never have had autism, Jenny insists, “I’ll continue to be the voice” of the disease.

link

Wow--so you are telling me that McCarthy is not a trained expert in the medical field?

The problem with autism is that a big symptom is social skills. Most kids don't have social skills till they are older...

How much do you want to bet Jenny McCarthy will never mention autism again.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• Members
  • 19,778 posts
I know she meant well, but yeah... I'm glad her son is starting to develop socially, though. I'm just glad she's willing to reverse her position, because there's a lot of people out there who are convinced the latest studies are just one big lie.

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,429 posts
This is FABULOUS. McCarthy has done SO much damage to Autism awareness just by having such a huge platform and spreading mis-information-no matter how sincere and how well-meaning she was. The whole spectrum is so misunderstood, the rate at which children, even adults, are being diagnosed....she has done SO much damage just by speaking out publicly the way she has. I feel for her and her son but I feel worse for those who haven't gotten the early diagnosis they so desperately need to do something positive for their children's lives simply because they believed a mistaken celebrity.

Ender

Ender

Calmer than you are

• Members
  • 9,232 posts

This is FABULOUS. McCarthy has done SO much damage to Autism awareness just by having such a huge platform and spreading mis-information-no matter how sincere and how well-meaning she was. The whole spectrum is so misunderstood, the rate at which children, even adults, are being diagnosed....she has done SO much damage just by speaking out publicly the way she has. I feel for her and her son but I feel worse for those who haven't gotten the early diagnosis they so desperately need to do something positive for their children's lives simply because they believed a mistaken celebrity.

qft

I am so glad this happened before she starts her new talk show. I had such a crush on her when I watched Singled Out (along with every other teenage boy).

Guest_REVROSWELL_*

Guest_REVROSWELL_*
  • Guests
I am more believing of conspiracies than the average Joe, however I haven't bought into the childhood vaccines causing major problems. While I am sure the government would test weapon systems on us, the general public, CIA and armed forces etc have tested all kinds of nasty stuff on the unsuspecting public in the past.

I don't take the flu vaccine or pneumonia because of a bad experience I have had with those vaccines (the flu vaccine gave me flu like symptoms or at least I thought it did). Secondly I am young enough that I would most likely survive either disease, so no thanks to those vaccines unless a truly killer mutant boar pig virus from hell emerges! There may be one other exception, I may take the flu vaccine to protect my mother. I have been care taking my mother who has a compromised immune system and cancer, so I may take it next year as not to take the chance of transferring the flu etc to her.

I would take a vaccine for cancer if one was developed, its a matter of weighing the advantages vs the disadvantages.

RR ; {>

Edited by REVROSWELL, 28 February 2010 - 09:53 AM.

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,429 posts

I am more believing of conspiracies than the average Joe, however I haven't bought into the childhood vaccines causing major problems.

I don't think most in that community believe it's a conspiracy, more that the mercury in the vaccines does something to trigger Autism. The closest I've ever heard to a conspiracy theory is that the government is turning a blind eye to that possibility that this could be true because of the pharmaceutical lobby/interests. My friend who has an Aspie husband and son is convinced the vaccines are harmful to some, I remain unconvinced.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,609 posts
She's still hot as hell...

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Members
  • 20,429 posts
If she keeps her trap shut, yeah.

Guest_REVROSWELL_*

Guest_REVROSWELL_*
  • Guests

If she keeps her trap shut, yeah.

I dunno, I would make a decision after I hear some of her pillow talk....:drool:

RR : {>

Reply to this topic