Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,069 posts
The fourth movie in the trilogy was announced today at the big Disney convention:

--> Article

Johnny Depp sailed onstage Friday on a pirate ship at the Anaheim Convention Center to help announce the forthcoming installment of Disney's blockbuster film franchise. He was welcomed with a rousing standing ovation.

Depp will reprise his role as Capt. Jack Sparrow in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," slated for summer of 2011. It's the fourth in a series.

Dressed as Sparrow, Depp staggered around the stage and embraced Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook, who announced the news to about 5,000 fans on hand for the D23 Expo, Disney's answer to Comic-Con.

Time to lay odds on who's in or out. As long as Jack Davenport is in, I'm happy. And maybe Mackenzie Crook and the other funny henchpirate, and possibly the zombie monkey. The rest are optional.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,293 posts

The fourth movie in the trilogy was announced today at the big Disney convention:

The FOURTH in the TRILOGY??????

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

trained in gorilla warfare

• Supporters
  • 31,570 posts
Man I hope Geoffrey Rush is in too.

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,090 posts
Posted Image

From ComingSoon...

This afternoon, Walt Disney Pictures made the big announcement at the D23 Expo that the fourth "Pirates" film will hit theaters in Summer 2011 and be titled Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

Speculation has already begun that the subtitle "On Stranger Tides" refers to author Tim Powers' novel with the same name. The following is the official description of the book:

Puppeteer John Chandagnac, who was sailing to Jamaica to get revenge on the uncle who had stolen his father's inheritance, has no choice but to join the buccaneers who have taken him prisoner--and soon, known now as the pirate Jack Shandy, he finds himself learning to survive in a treacherous new world of cutlass-fights, sea-battles, and voodoo magic on sun-blinded tropical islands. The legendary Blackbeard is assembling a ruthless navy of pirates living and undead to voyage to the fabled Fountain of Youth, and Jack Shandy must use magic, swordsmanship, and even his puppeteer skills to free himself and the girl he has fallen in love with from Blackbeard's deadly supernatural domination.

At the end of the third "Pirates" movie, it is shown that both Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) and Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) are next eyeing the Fountain of Youth. Barbossa has "stolen" the Black Pearl back from Sparrow, but Sparrow has cut out the most important part of Barbossa's map to the Fountain of Youth.

If they will be adapting the book, will Sparrow and Barbossa have to team up again against Blackbeard? We'll have to wait and see how it will turn out.

I'm kind of excited. I like the title. It implies a new direction, which this film should be, rather than a direct continuation of the last storyline. Perhaps they'll give Blackbeard a cool new supernatural angle like they did with Davey Jones.

I also hear Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley probably won't be back, but I'm perfectly ok with that. Their story ended in a good way, I thought.

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,090 posts
Double post.

Edited by Kitster aka Boba Fett, 11 September 2009 - 07:30 PM.

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 6,293 posts
There is a novel called "On Stranger Tides." Its possible that Disney could be using the basic plotof that book and working in the characters from POTC.

http://en.wikipedia...._Stranger_Tides

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,069 posts

D'oh! You beat my post by one minute, NumberSix.

But you put several minutes' more effort into yours than I did mine, so I've merged the two for all to peruse!

scantron20

scantron20

• Members
  • 850 posts

--> Article

Johnny Depp sailed onstage Friday on a pirate ship at the Anaheim Convention Center to help announce the forthcoming installment of Disney's blockbuster film franchise. He was welcomed with a rousing standing ovation.

Depp will reprise his role as Capt. Jack Sparrow in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," slated for summer of 2011. It's the fourth in a series.

Dressed as Sparrow, Depp staggered around the stage and embraced Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook, who announced the news to about 5,000 fans on hand for the D23 Expo, Disney's answer to Comic-Con.

Time to lay odds on who's in or out. As long as Jack Davenport is in, I'm happy. And maybe Mackenzie Crook and the other funny henchpirate, and possibly the zombie monkey. The rest are optional.

yeah but didn't jack davenport's character die in the last movie?

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
Will there be zombies in this film? If not, I could have sworn Jack Davenport kicked the bucket in AWE.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo / Robin in Alaska

• Members
  • 32,927 posts

There is a novel called "On Stranger Tides." Its possible that Disney could be using the basic plotof that book and working in the characters from POTC.

http://en.wikipedia...._Stranger_Tides

I just read the synopsis of that book. It sounds like it could perfectly and easily adapt into a PotC film.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,069 posts
I don't care if it's Zombie Jack Davenport, Voodoo Puppet Jack Davenport, or Time-Traveling Jack Davenport From the Past. It's not like Barbossa's demise at the end of the first one was irreversible. I just really want the movie not to suck, and in my heart Bloom and Knightley are not the magical ingredients.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
Well Barbossa and Sparrow are all I want from a Pirates film. I'm indifferent to seeing Davenport back but I don't think there's a way to bring them back without a tie to Elizabeth. Unless they tie him into Blackbeard or some **** like that. Who knows..

ETAndElliot4Ever

ETAndElliot4Ever

Extra-Terrestrial

• Members
  • 2,181 posts
POTC 1 was a good movie. The sequels SUCK. As do the changes made to the rides. Just awful.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
I don't think they necessarily suck; the third one is just way too goddamn long. And the changes to the ride were pretty stupid.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• Members
  • 13,090 posts
Jack, Barbossa and the other regular Black Pearl crew (including the two navy officers who join at the end) are all I'd want. 'Willabeth' are done, storywise and it's time to go in a new direction where the pirates are the only stars. I liked Jack Davenport but he was attached only to the Will/Elizabeth storyline and I don't think has any relevance otherwise. I wouldn't object to a Bloom or Knightley cameo perhaps (eg. Will comes to 'claim' Jack because he's likely to get himself killed any minute), but think it'd be best to leave all reference to them out.

I could also see how that novel could work for a POTC film, and could open up the possibility of JACK FALLING IN LOVE OMG!!! :eek:

Edited by Darth Spoon, 11 September 2009 - 09:16 PM.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• Members
  • 32,339 posts
Yeah, this is cool. I always thought a fourth film could easily work, as long as they reigned it in a bit. 2 and especially 3 were VERY ambitious. Too much so, in fact and had a whole lot going on.

If they can bring it back and make it more simple, like the first film, then that would be awesome.

As for reprising characters, I could do without Will and Elizabeth, so thats fine that they likely won't be back. But they need Barbosa for sure.

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• Members
  • 10,040 posts
They should never have barbossa back. That's why the sequels were poor. They killed him off then brought him back as a good guy. Horrible.

Doesn't anyone have an original ideas any more? Or is it left up to the independants?

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
I never really saw Barbossa as a villain to begin with. Pirates all have shades of gray to them and he was no different. Lord Cutler Beckett was the real villain of the films (even if he wasn't in the first one).

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• Members
  • 10,040 posts
This is the only Pirates sequel I'm hoping for!

Posted Image

Spoony edit: I'm sure it's obvious, but just in case. Whatever you do, DO NOT google this at work :P

Edited by Darth Spoon, 11 September 2009 - 10:50 PM.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
Looks dreadful.

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• Members
  • 10,040 posts
:pimp:

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,010 posts
Looks dreadful.

Primbud

Primbud

Good For You

• Members
  • 72,824 posts
Looks headful.

I've been wanting a fourth POTC movie since the third one ended - they had that whole 'Fountain of Youth' thing at the end.

I actually didn't like the first one, thinking it goofy but when I realized what I was to expect from this series, I enjoyed the recent two a lot. And therefore look forward to more fun.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• Members
  • 13,090 posts
Oh Euro, you're such a devil ;)

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
Anyone else read the book? It's pretty awesome