Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Demon's Souls / Dark Souls

Action RPG Fantasy PS3 Xbox 360 Games

40 replies to this topic

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo / Robin in Alaska

• Members
  • 33,391 posts
[snipped my raging haterade about insane difficulty, cheap deaths and depressing ambiance]

Edited by The Human Torch, 05 January 2011 - 01:17 AM.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

• Members
  • 33,391 posts
I played this again today for hours. I like this game and yet I hate this ****ing game. The total enemy respawns after your "death" is driving me insane. The color scheme, topic and music are all still utterly depressing, but I enjoy the combat mechanics. I got deeper into Boletarian Palace than I probably should do as a Soul Level 1 Royal, amassing well over 5k in souls... only for the Executioner chick to kill me, so I trek back to her to get my lost souls due to death and on the way... during combat... my baby son slapped at my controller. Bam. I'm dead. That one moment of losing the grip on the controller cost me all my work in amassing those souls. Plus I was just steps away from my cache of souls from my previous failure against the Executioner chick.

Zero

Back to square one again.

I ****ing hate this game.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,647 posts
The executioner chick is an optional boss, and you should wait to kill her until you have beaten the first main boss, the big blob of black goo so you can level up. You can kill her, I have done so at level 1. A lot of strafing and rolling backwards.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

• Members
  • 11,647 posts
When I bought this game, I played for 4 hours, and after dying too many times I quit for like 4 months. I then started playing it again and toughed it out and now enjoy the game immensely. Just hang in there. The first thing you should worry about is opening the gates in the first level so that if you do die, you don't have to traverse as far.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

• Members
  • 33,391 posts
Glad to know I'm not the only one that has this intense reaction to the game pro & con wise when they first played it. I suppose I am going to have to look at this like Super Mario Bros/Nintendo old school where there were no checkpoints and after death you start at the beginning etc.

I know that once you beat the boss you basically get a checkpoint, you can level up at that point etc. But damn, until then (and then until the next boss) it's pure pain. It's like gaming purgatory, constantly redoing the same thing for hours, even days now.

But I really like the combat. It's like Soul Calibur Lite and then it's got stat management and it's in a quasi-open world. It's just the deaths and respawns are maddening.

And I still can't get over the ambiance. I have to play with the music completely off as the game creeps me out otherwise. Can't fully explain it, but that music combined with the visuals and game concept just grates up and down my spine.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

• Members
  • 33,391 posts
IN YO FACE, STUPID GAME! IN IT! Booyah! Beat the Glob Boss down like a red headed step child. Smoked it. It was nothing compared to the Red Eyed Knight. Of course I was dumb and decided to explore more of the Palace instead of going straight back to the Nexus. I ran into the Tower Knight, who killed me. Not right away though, I got him a quarter way down health bar wise and then he ganked me... I was only a level 6 (aka Magician starting level) at that time however so maybe that was a neat feat for that level.

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
The game has its claws in you now. You cannot let go!

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

• Members
  • 33,391 posts
I haven't played in a few days, got my ass handed to me while I was farming souls and it left a bitter taste in my mouth. But I'll be back.[/arnold] :)

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

• Members
  • 11,647 posts
The level 4-2, once you get there, at the beginning you can start farming souls if you are good at archery. Just run in, fall down, turn around and go in the path you were just above, and then go near te egde, look down and see the black soul thing, kill it quickly, cause there are guys moving towards you. You will get if I remember correctly 7500 souls per run. In new game plus its 14000. Once you kill the guy and get teh souls, just fall of hte cliff, (die) to respawn, grab your souls and do it again. Dieing is faster then running out and coming back in. I farmed there for hours and got to soul level 90 and made teh game a bit easier. Of course soul level 90 is nothing since the cap is like 850.

Just youtube 4-2 soul farming and tehre should be many videos of it.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

• Members
  • 33,391 posts
Coolbeans

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
Yeah, like he said, soul level isn't nearly as important as skill, learning what to do, and getting good spells. So the big souls you get from bosses, don't waste those by using them. You can trade them for awesome spells.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

• Members
  • 33,391 posts
Yeah I'm saving the named soul items I get. Another friend tipped me off to their worth in relation to unique weapon and armor creation etc.

Jaycie

Jaycie

Souless Automaton

• Members
  • 11,497 posts
The sequel has been announced:

Demon's Souls Followup Officially "Dark Souls"

Trailer

One of my good friends is obsessed with the original and he hasn't shut up about it all night.

edit: haha squeal, didn't even notice the incorrect correction of my poor spelling.

Edited by Jaycie, 08 February 2011 - 05:02 PM.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

• Members
  • 33,391 posts
Neato. But I probably won't be playing it for a long long while. If at all. I'm still on World 2 of this first game. LOL

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

• Members
  • 11,647 posts
Dark Souls is going to be harder they say. Thats awesome!

Joedark0

Joedark0

King of the Useless

• Members
  • 5,448 posts
Who else can't wait for the Dark Souls release on pc? From what I hear it's getting both a steam and GFWL release, which is a little odd.

Still, can't wait to get "You Died" up on my monitor.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Action, RPG, Fantasy, PS3, Xbox 360, Games