Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SEASON 6 - Speculation and Theories

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Chev Chelios

Chev Chelios

• Banned Users
  • 96 posts
I know we've got ming's thread about overall theories and ideas, but I thought it would be good to have a thread in which we predict or theorise specific things which may happen in Season 6.

I've been hearing that the Season 5 finale answered more questions than it asked, and that compared to Season 4's finale (where people were so genuinely confused as to where the show could go) it made the direction of the show too clear. I've read a lot of theories about who's good and who's bad, and even some who think that this will all end like Stephen King's Dark Tower series, but I don't think people are giving the writers enough credit. Every finale has managed to blow a majority of theories out of the water and the following season has always taken to the show to places where people never thought it would. I think this is also true for the Season 5 finale, it just simply doesn't appear that way now.

Ok, onto what I think will unfold in Season 6:

- The bomb didn't explode. The white light at the end was a flash, not an explosion. (I know that an explosion was heard but I think this was deliberate misdirection on the part of the producers, they've been guilty of this before)

- Everyone on the island in the present, including the Ajira passengers and Bernard and Rose, will also flash. To where? The only time period which has been relatively unknown; the Black Rock period. Everyone gets flashed way back to the Black Rock time period.

- Sayid isn't dead. Neither is Juliet. However, she becomes very important to the story. Jacob touched every character in the flashbacks, but he didn't touch or even appear in Juliet's for an important reason (not sure what it is, but I think it was written that way specially for a reason).

- The smoke monster is no more. It was simply an entity/avatar that "Esau"/"Anti-Jacob was temporarily controlling.

- Jacob's host body died, but he is still very much alive (in the form of an avatar? light/white smoke monster perhaps?).

- I suspect Lapidus will play a very important role in the final season. He's been around for a season now, and he doesn't appear to be doing anything except hanging around. I suspect his importance to the story gets upgraded (possibly something which may not be fully revealed until nearer the end of the season).

- While a lot of the people have theorised (and rightly so) that the final season will be a war of good versus evil, I think the writers will turn this on it's head with character's you thought were of a "good" nature showing their true colours, and vice versa.

- Libby's flashback will be dealt with next season. I think this will be one of the many loose ends they will tie up early on in the season.

- Desmond's story isn't over. I think he's coming back to the island... but without Penny. Their story isn't done yet.

- It will NOT end like the LOST video game, it will not be a loop and it will not end with the losties waking up on the beach after the plane crash. Instead, the idea of predestination is turned on it's head and the cycle is shown to be ultimately breakable and I think the last scene will epitomise this idea.

What does everyone else think?

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I think Juliet's gone. The bomb killed her (before her other injuries would have anyway), but I think that instead of the others being sent back to their rightful time period, I think first they're going to time travel via consciousness first, like Desmond did when he blew up the hatch.

I don't think anything's going to be changed. I think the OPTION to change things is going to arise via the mind-traveling, something that occurs thanks to Jacob, but I think by choice of the six original 815ers involved (Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, Jin, Sayid) will leave the timeline unchanged and they'll accept their destiny, whatever it may be, and then be returned to 2007 the very night of events in the statue. In that sense I think Sayid is going to die very early on also, succumbing to his gunshot wound, but not before one more important task.

From that point on the "war" will begin, which I think will center around Locke. The "good guys" whoever they may be, will need the real Locke in some form to help them defeat the man in black who currently is in Locke's form.

Master Ed Avlis

Master Ed Avlis

Shaking things up

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
There are subtle but definite clues in the season 5 finale to indicate that the bomb did not reset anything. Here's why:

Chang's arm.

In fact, Chang's actions from the time Faraday told him the future all point to a WHH cycle. Think about this. Chang would never have had a need to angrily kick his family off the island if he'd felt they weren't in danger of the Incident occuring. The only way he knew about the Incident occuring was through the actions of the Losties. We know that Chang's arm was injured/amputated by 1980. We also know that the cause of this was the trouble that happened at the Swan site. So by logical reason, the nuke didn't work (if it had, Chang would be dead). The release of magnetic power escaped, be it as a result of the bomb's split-second-lasting detonation or the drill already piercing the pocket, and Chang goes on to make his videos with his one upper limb (plus a lack of family and shorter temper). His arm would have been intact had the Losties not become involved, though the Incident would still have occurred. He also has enough knowledge of what a controlled release of the power can do to know that putting a rabbit in a chamber with the right capabilites can leap said rabbit through time, all through his memory of the Swan incident occuring. He fears putting metal objects inside because the more metal = more conductivity = more powerful time travel, exactly what happened at the Swan station when cranes, rigging and drilling equipment was sucked into the hole. Ben knew this too, and throwing a bunch of metal objects into the Orchid chamber would "charge" the island with enough energy to leap through time far enough to not be found too easily.

Likewise, I fully believe that the release caused a flash/time skip and Jack and crew will leap through time again, eventually catching up with Sun, etc in 2007. But here's the thing. Even if they jump, Juliet's injuries won't disappear, so she'll die regardless. Sayid's bullet wound will still exist and he'll need saving in season 6. It would suck if they kill him off (through the whole ep I was worried he was going to breath his last words to Jack: "Take me home"). There'll still be instant high drama next season that will need attending to.

Now I'm not saying that Faraday was wrong, and that variables (people) can't change the past, but in this instance, through either sheer coincidence, course correction, or whatever, they failed to make the intended impact. Miles was half right about his "bomb could cause the incident" suggestion, just not in the sense that the bomb caused the damage - the bomb, and the attempt to blow up the island, possibly helped the penetration of the pocket. Generally speaking, I believe the writers are intending for the overall philosophy of the show to be this idea that what we do in the past can't be changed - we have to live with it - but what we've learnt from that and what we do in the future is all important. This is what Jacob wanted to prove - his faith in humanity's overriding goodness and ability to do the right thing. This is part of the reason why I reckon Locke will come back. All his unrewarded good deeds, optimistic faith and struggle can't just be for naught. Sayid as well, since Sayid is one of Jacob's "chosen" few.

ThunderDroid

ThunderDroid

One Louder

• Members
  • 4,359 posts
I'm leaning toward some combination of what Jason and Ed posted. I think Miles was right about Jack creating the thing he was trying to stop (the Incident), but I don't think Season 6 will remain absolutely true to the "whatever happened happened" concept. I believe Daniel was on the right track about variables, I just don't think Jughead Jack (nor Jughead Juliet) fulfilled this role, ultimately. And, I certainly don't believe the timeline will ever be completely rebooted so that 815 never crashes. However, as Jason suggests, maybe glimpses of this alternate reality will be given to Jack and co. in the early episodes, and they will have a choice, or some sort of awareness of the different timelines, so that they all become as "special" as Desmond, in that they can influence the flow of time. I wonder how much screen time the show would devote to an ulimately doomed timeline/reality, though, given that this is the last season, and all we're justifiably anxious for the series to just get on with it already. My guess is that the early episodes of Season 6 will feature very limited glimpses of an alternate reality where 815 never crashes, just to tease us, and that these glimpses come via the consciousness traveling seen before with Desmond. Perhaps we even get to see that Jack was right about Kate, and that the two of them do find each other in the alternate timeline, despite having never met on the Island, but that this reality is still false or corrupt. Regardless, I don't think this indulgence can last very long throughout the season, given the limited number of episodes remaining before the finale. My prediction is that neither timeline theory presented to us in Season 5 -- whatever happened, happened vs. variables changing history -- will prove to be 100% accurate, and that we'll end up with some sort of hybrid of both when all is said and done.

darth entmoot

darth entmoot

WWFSMD?

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
my problem with the "They flash forward to 2007" idea is that Richard told Sun that he saw them die. now he could mean that he literally saw them die in the Purge or some other thing, or he could mean i saw them head to the Swan with a nuke that i saw explode and so they must be dead because i never saw them agian.
It would be awsome if they were stuck in 77 with no way back, show Jack fall into a deep depression and Sawyer's hatred of him for basically killing Juliet, Jin going off to live on his own.

Basically i'd like to see something like the Twilight Zone episode, the Long Morrow with an old Jin getting together with young Sun, but i'm sure i'm rambling...

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,800 posts
However things go, whatever changes people try to make, there's still "course-correcting" going on. So "whatever happened, happened" stays true in the sense that people will realize how some events MUST happen, to bring them closer to some future ideal or goal.

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• Members
  • 1,935 posts
Remember when Charlotte was inspecting the polar bear fossils and the dharma logo was on one of the collars? That implies dharma has moved the wheel once on their own. . .when?

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,800 posts
I think they tapped the wheel's power. Wasn't that a transporter room Ben was throwing furniture into? (That begs the question how they'd get a polar bear from the Hydra to that station and into that room...)

Doc Brown

Doc Brown

A Good Person

• Members
  • 1,961 posts
I'm guessing that Jack and Co. successfully changed time causing Oceanic 815 to not crash. Though, I am still not sure in the slightest on how this will work and/or effect the Un-Locke, present day island story. Or the entire series for that matter. But something tells me that the finale flashbacks (Jacob visiting each of the current main survivors, and touching each and every one of them) will come into play somehow. Perhaps those that have had contact with Jacob will remember the Island and everything that happened there.

I'm not really sure though. All I can say is "in Darlton I trust."

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,800 posts
I'm wondering if Jacob visited any other Losties that had died on the island. Boone, Shannon, Ana Lucia, etc.

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,093 posts
I have a new theory about Jacob and "Esau."

Jacob, like Esau, has the ability to take the shape of dead people. Jacob is actually inhabiting the body of Esau, and thus Esau is formless. He is the black smoke monster. This is why he wants to kill Jacob so badly, because Jacob stole his identity. (Fun fact: the name "Jacob" means "the supplanter"). The man in black at the beginning of The Incident is simply Esau taking the shape of a corpse. Perhaps he killed this person and assumed their form in order to have the conversation with Jacob. This could be what he meant by "I just ate."

So the blond-haired body that Jacob had in the Incident is Esau's original form. And that original blond-haired form of Esau is actually... a grown up Aaron from the future! And that's why his name was not revealed to us in The Incident. (Hey, it beats a having a brand new character introduced at the very end of the series. And it also explains the apparent importance of Aaron). But then the question is, what was Jacob's original form? Was Jacob a formless monster to begin with?

What do I win if I'm right?

Edited by Kitster aka Boba Fett, 08 September 2009 - 06:31 PM.

Dag-o-baa

Dag-o-baa

Girl from Mars

• Members
  • 4,171 posts
one internet :P

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
New rule for posting:

When your theory is bigger than four lines it is TIME TO STOP

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,093 posts
You're right.

Man in Black is a corpse puppet. Grown up Aaron is actually Jacob's Nemesis. Jacob stole Aaron's body, making Aaron into a formless smoke monster. Aaron angry. You won't like him when he's angry...

Can I keep theorizing now? :D

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
You've earned yourself a two day time out :P

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,552 posts

New rule for posting:

When your theory is bigger than four lines it is TIME TO STOP

New rule:

Shut up.

Having said that, the producers have said that we're not going to have enough information to form a correct theory until after next season's two hour premiere. At the end of those two hours, we'll FINALLY have enough information. So personally, I'm not going to bother until then.

Doc Brown

Doc Brown

A Good Person

• Members
  • 1,961 posts
So I've been thinking about the "reset" theory, trying to understand how it could possibly work. I've toyed with the idea of alternate realities and parallel universes where in Universe A, John Locke would be inhabited by Jacob's friend, while in Universe B, he is paralyzed in California. I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

During the off season TPTB said, "we had our flashforward season, we had are time travel season, this next season we're doing something different."

Seasons 1 - 3: Flashbacks
Season 4: Flashforwards
Season 5: Time Travel

So what does that leave for Season 6?

My guess, Flash-What-Could-Have-Beens... The survivors catch glimpses of what their life would've been like if it weren't for the plane crash. Of course, everything goes to hell and the survivors understands why they are there.

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,567 posts

Seasons 1 - 3: Flashbacks
Season 4: Flashforwards
Season 5: Time Travel

So what does that leave for Season 6?

Interdemential travel between the evil universe and the good universe like on Star Trek and DS9

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,552 posts
Also:

Spoiler! --Click here to view--
The producers said there is going to be a point next season where the flashbacks/forwards "catch up" with present day and we'll never again have either in the series. The final handful of episodes will be real time only. Personally, I'm looking forward to that.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,647 posts
I have reason to believe that Desmond is the key to fixing everything.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,552 posts
I hope you're right, especially since "the rules don't seem to apply to him." Which could mean that he's the only person who remembers the old timeline and so it falls on him to fix it so he can get back to Penny.

But a lot of the reason we thought he was so special was because Old Elle told him he was in the ring shop during Flashes Before Your Eyes. But we now know that the only reason she knew that was because of her son's journal. A journal, by the way, which has now run it's course. So maybe he's not special anymore.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,647 posts
Well, I remember sometime in the 5th season, someone telling Desmond that the island wasn't finished with him yet.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,552 posts
Yeah, I think that was Old Elle again. But the thing is, she has no way of knowing that because she'd caught up with the end of her son's journal.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
She was part leader of The Others, I think she knows more than she lets on

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,552 posts
She doesn't know JACK **** beyond what that journal told her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, that's a guess on my part but still ...