Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Locke & Key: Welcome To Lovecraft

73 replies to this topic

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
Pour Dave McKean and Jill Thompson's artistic styles into a Brian Lumley's House of Doors base, mix in a liberal amount of Tim Burton's visual sensibility. When it is all aboil, gently stir in the horror talents of such graphic novel authors as Mike Carey, Mike Richardson, and Neil Gaiman with just a dash of Clive Barker - and you have a good idea of what to expect with this brilliant graphic novel.

If you like spine chilling horror comics featuring in depth realistic characterization with some fantasy and humor thrown in here and there, this 6 issue collection of the first story arc in the series should be your next purchase. Nor is there a moment to lose, the second 24 month arc is about to begin in January. Following that the series will conclude with an original graphic novel. There is also a movie in the works.

If I sound like a saleswoman I can only stress that I have not been this impressed with an impulse graphic novel purchase in years. I gobbled it up in one sitting and was blown away and now want to share the love.

Attached Thumbnails

• 395px_Joehilllockekey.jpg

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 27,800 posts
Your description's a great sell. I'll have to check it out.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporters
  • 40,536 posts
After reading this hardsell I made sure to borrow it from her today and just finished reading it. Man, I'm ****ing blown away. How have I never heard of this ****? The next volume is going on my pull list tomorrow.

There is one scene involving a boy with his back turned to a well that totally ****ing creeped me out. You'll know it when you see it. I will clarify something she didn't really go into. There's some gore in this, but it's not the gorefest you might think. It's more psychological horror and flat out creepy **** than Saw 25. But anyway, totally ****ing awesome. :drool:

kissedthebullet

kissedthebullet

• Members
  • 195 posts
Picked it up yesterday. Very well executed from top to bottom.

Tank

Tank

retired

• Members
  • 33,029 posts
Not very publicized fact... the writer knows horror pretty well. He happens to be Stephen King's son.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,536 posts
NO ****ING WAY!! For real?!? Dude, I've been dreading his death for a decade now but maybe it's going to be okay! :drool:

So, have you checked this out? I think you'd love it.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,536 posts
The first Locke and Key monthly issue came out this week and it's ****ing AWESOME! WOO HOO!!! :drool: :drool:

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
Just picked it up yesterday and frigging loved it! I can see that it's going to take a couple months to really get going though. Still, it was an emotional story for being just one issue.

Noxy

Noxy

Homeless Bum

• Members
  • 1,397 posts
I rather enjoyed it and am waiting for the next edition so that I can know what happens next.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,536 posts
The new issue is out and it's just as good if not better. The final panel was HOLY ****ING ****! And, in addition, it was LMFAO! Very hard to accomplish both of those in one panel!

Also, the black haired Big Bad is a total ass clown. I love his edge. My favorite of his many great lines was his "cough" :lol:

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,393 posts
I just read Welcome to Lovecraft tonight in one sitting. I'd intended to try just a few pages and come back to it later, but once I wrapped my head around the timeline of events in part one, I couldn't put it down. It's been a long, looong time since I've handed that compliment out to any form of printed matter.

It was creepy, funny, suspenseful, insightful, tightly structured, perfectly paced (great use of panel-staging repetition in a Watchmen sort of way), and filled with little extra details (at the beginning of part 5, I was a little unnerved when I noticed Sam Lesser walking through the backgrounds of the first few pages until he slowly but inevitably insinuates himself into the foreground).

I'm happy to see artist Gabe Rodriguez has improved with age, too. Some of his earliest stuff last decade was hard to look at. His style's metamorphosed into a modernized version of Rick Geary, which suits the material just fine.

I got this through a very nice Sci-Fi Book Club sale based on the recommendations from this thread. Thanks, guys. :thumbsup:

I want more now.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,536 posts
Ahhhh, another convert. :drool: WOO HOO!!!

As for more, this month marks issue #3 of the 24 month middle arc. There's also going to be a final arc only in TB form. And apparently a movie is in the works. :drool:

Dutchman

Dutchman

• Members
  • 711 posts
Am I right in thinking the current 'Head Games' arc (issues 1 - 6) will be collected in a trade paper back soon after issue 6 is released?

And the 24-isssue middel arc will be collected in 4 trades?

Cause the single issues arent available over here in the Netherlands (Im keep up to pace through downloads), but the trades will most likely be shortly after they are released in the States...

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
I don't know. I heard that the entire 24 issue arc would be collected in one trade but that sounds unwieldy to say the least. You might be right about it being 4 trades when it's all said and done.

I just finished reading issue #3 and it was great. Joe Hill is fast overtaking Neil Gaiman in terms of sheer imagination and scope, IMHO. The entire issue was one giant head game.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,536 posts
Fastest comic on the market! It was so smooth and went down so fast it seemed like I'd just started and I was done. Obviously bringing in the douche on the power of the keys was a mistake but I actually think it's going to hurt them more that they brought in that tramp the older son has the hots for. :no: Dude, stop thinking with your weiner!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,536 posts
WELL Foxglove?!? WTF?!?

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
We're the only two reading this, just give me a call. Sheesh. :lol:

NumberSix

NumberSix

Time starts NOW.

• Supporters
  • 29,393 posts
I keep lurking just to track opinions as the series goes, but I'm waiting for the trades. IDW charges too much for singles.

So keep up the good opinionatin'.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,536 posts
Yeah! What he said!

I thought this latest issue was bad assed. The Big Bad is more and more intriguing. He started off as a mildly interesting douchebag but now he's getting more and more clever and evil. And his whole hitting on the 15 year old girl at the end was ****ed UP. "Mmmmm, bananas." A very chilling line. :eek:

Also, the whole fear and crying in the bottle thing was very disturbing. The art as well as the words.

Bottom line: Joe Hill might turn out to be a better author than his father, something I never thought I'd say.

And, as I said last month, this is the quickest read every month, and this one was no exception.

Dutchman

Dutchman

• Members
  • 711 posts
According to Amazon the (hardcover) trade of Head Games will be released on September 29!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,536 posts
Interesting. Issue #5 just came out, so maybe the plan IS to break the 24 issues up into 6 packs. Grrrrr. I'd prefer 8 packs at the worst. But to be honest, given that the paper quality of the issues is excellent and there are no ads within the pages, only before and after, I might just stick with the monthly issues. With ordinary comics the ads are so ****ing annoying I prefer the trades but these are good enough I won't have to.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• Supporters
  • 40,536 posts
Issue #6, the final one in the "Head Games" cycle, has been out a couple weeks and I finally caught up with it over the weekend. Awesome. Simply ****ing awesome.

The next cycle, entitled "Crown of Shadows" begins this Fall. :drool:

The plans have changed, by the way. It was originally going to be four 6 issue cycles and then a graphic novel to finish off the series. But Joe Hill likes how the monthly format is going to such an extent that he's decided to do it all monthly. So it looks like it'll be a total of five or six cycles, not counting the first one already collected in graphic novel format.

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
I'm trying really hard not to gush but this is the best original comic book series since Sandman. By original I mean the current author created the characters so that leaves out **** like Superman. Runaways is a close second but this series is the best. Of course the new author is sinking Runaways straight to hell so it won't even be close in another month or two.

The characters are so real, so well drawn - in both senses of the phrase - that they seem to walk straight off the page. Joe Hill knows exactly where he's going and I love how he's getting us there. This is especially evident when you get peeks inside someone's head and you see snapshots of things you have seen but plenty more of things you have not yet seen but happened in the past.

And it's also so creepy and at times scary that I actually get chills sometimes. Like when the old lady turned around and said "well get on with it then!" ZOMG.

Dodge is such a bastard and is so creepy and yet at times he's funny. What a perfect villain.

I can't wait to find out what happened in the past, but I have a feeling it's going to be a while.

Wonderful series. It's going to be a long wait until the fall. :(

Nixie

Nixie

showing all my haters love

• Members
  • 2,162 posts
they finally wore me down and turned me on to this series and holy cow. :eek: cuz ... dayum! i can see what all the shouting about.

im going to have nightmares now though so thx. :(

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
They're shamelessly putting out "special editions" of the Welcome To Lovecraft monthly issues. They include the issue, the original script, a letter from Joe Hill, and a bonus short story by Joe Hill that was messed up. :lol: It was in the style of 50s horror comics and was retarded in a good way. It's $6, so it's only worth that if you've never read this series. If you already have the trade then take a pass. But if you've been on the fence about getting into this series, now's the time. I'm curious to see if they'll include another Joe Hill short story next month. How many old rejected graphic short stories does he have mothballed?

Reply to this topic