Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How much should a 140 pound Freshman be able to bench-press...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Ulthuan

Ulthuan

• Members
  • 180 posts
I'm thinking everyone should at least be able to bench their own body weight, can I get some insight on this matter.

Alfred78

Alfred78

• Members
  • 1,693 posts
If you only start to benchpress, you cannot lift your own wight unless you are really light. Pressing 140 lbs might not be much but you have to train a little beforehand. I weigh 170 and it took me 6 months to get to pressing that. You hit a plateau at sometime and the improvement is much slower for a while so you'd better have a varied routine.

Thrawn33

Thrawn33

• Members
  • 2,873 posts
When I was a junior in highschool i weighed about 135-140 and was 6'1'' (translation: a skinny *******). I started at 125 lbs, then was able to bench my own weight and did most of my reps at 145. Then i kind of worked up with fewer reps at 150-155. I maxed out at 175 and could only put that up once, with great effort on my part. I really didn't get any bigger, mostly stayed around 140, but getting up to that weight with my bean-pole like build was quite an accomplishment.

Now I'm out of shape, so it was all for nothing.

Shady

Shady

Lean Toward The Sun

• Members
  • 6,253 posts
Your own bodyweight is a good goal, especially for your age and size.

An old teacher of mine told me that a person should be able to bench 3x there own bodyweight, to be in the so called "best shape"!

Ulthuan

Ulthuan

• Members
  • 180 posts

Dr. Shady:

An old teacher of mine told me that a person should be able to bench 3x there own bodyweight, to be in the so called "best shape"!

Good God!

Alfred78

Alfred78

• Members
  • 1,693 posts
I can't believe I could reach 510 pounds. I'm so out of shape now that I could barely press my wieght.

Rori Firehawk

Rori Firehawk

• Members
  • 3,138 posts
In that case, I'd be benching... 525 lbs! NO WAY I could do that... I'd hafta be freaking Xena. As it is, I can barely bench the bar :P

DarthFett

DarthFett

• Members
  • 3,736 posts

Dr. Shady:

are you sure that was bench and not squat?

i'm 5'8" 180 i can bench somewhere between 230-250, i can squat well over 600

Darth Pigfeet

Darth Pigfeet

• Members
  • 7,075 posts
The goal is your own weight. If your starting off below that number don't get discouraged. It's best to find out where you are and build yourself up. That is what I had to do.

I was a sophmore and was only benching 220 and I weighed 285.

By my Senior year with hard work I was doing reps of 5 with 300.

Start off small and work your way up. Do it the following way based on your weight.

Do 10 reps with the bar which weighs 45lbs.

Then 10 reps with 50lbs

then 5 reps of 85lbs

then 1 rep of 100 lbs.

Of course I don't know what your max is but your first set of reps should be more of a warm up then get into lifting. Benching just the bar will help stretch those muscles and make them feel on fire.

I would also suggest using a hammer machine before benching, because that too will warm you up. Slap on a bunch of weight and just press it until it burns. Take a 10 minute break and get on the bench and you will be ready to go.

I was a weightlifter for 3 years in high school and it's all about believing in yourself and looking beyond what is on the bar and breathing. Need anymore advice just ask.

Gandalf

Gandalf

• Members
  • 1,539 posts
How much you bench depends on what sports you do, and how much you weigh. I was doing 290-295lbs my junior year during the football season, but at the time weighed 235lbs and started at Center/Left Guard. I haven't played since that year, and doubt I can do 265lbs (currently weighing between 215 and 220). However, a position in the offensive line requires extreme upper-body strength as well as driving power in the legs, so I had to work my ass off to get to where I did. A basketball player, lighter wrestler, or distance runner doesn't need all of that muscle (and in fact might not perform as well with that much weight/muscle), and thus doesn't need to be benching very much at all because their sport/position does not require as much muscle in the chest and shoulders. So how much you should lift really depends on what sports you play and what those sports require in strength.

Shady

Shady

Lean Toward The Sun

• Members
  • 6,253 posts
I thought he was crazy too!

The Pyramid approach is a great method of maximizing strength and conditioning with the bench press. go from med to high and then work your way back down.

JohnG

JohnG

• Members
  • 5 posts

quote:

"An old teacher of mine told me that a person should be able to bench 3x there own bodyweight, to be in the so called "best shape"!

Perhaps he meant three reps with your bodyweight?

It would take a freakish body (short - less bone weight, thick chest, shorter arms, superb natural strength) for that (BW x 3) to even be possible. However, even then it would take years of very intense lifting.

Guest_PumpinIron_*

Guest_PumpinIron_*
  • Guests
Hey everyone, i just made this profile, and i am also a freshman, and weightlifting is my passion. So, i know just about everything about it, i even have it as a class at school and lift at home, so if anyone wants to talk about weightlifting or make a new friend, or just have a question for me. PM me or I'm always on msn, so just email me.
c-train92_2010@hotmail.com

Thrawn33

Thrawn33

• Members
  • 2,873 posts
Posted by Me (5 years ago)

When I was a junior in highschool i weighed about 135-140 and was 6'1'' (translation: a skinny *******). I started at 125 lbs, then was able to bench my own weight and did most of my reps at 145. Then i kind of worked up with fewer reps at 150-155. I maxed out at 175 and could only put that up once, with great effort on my part. I really didn't get any bigger, mostly stayed around 140, but getting up to that weight with my bean-pole like build was quite an accomplishment.

Now I'm out of shape, so it was all for nothing.

Holy **** I actually weighed 140 in 1998! Quick bury this thread again, I'm feeling old, fat and weak, and I was actually starting to think i was in shape again...... :cry:

Damn you for bring this thread back!

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

smarter than the average bear

• Members
  • 8,566 posts
I'm 6'0, 185-190 and naturally bench around 205. I don't lift much. Only like once a week, but I do push ups regularly.

Guest_flameace35_*

Guest_flameace35_*
  • Guests

That is so much BS! Benching your bodyweight is usually grounds to call yourself "in shape." I only weigh 140lbs and I'm about 5'10" (pretty dang skinny). So starting out, i could lift about 150lbs. And now, after only 4 months, I can bench 210lbs, which is 1.5x my bodyweight. So to hit 3x I would be benching 420lbs!?!?!?!? Yeah, I'm a beast, but I'm also a human.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• Admin
  • 38,609 posts
Welcome to Nightly Sports, Mr. Canseco!

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 18,534 posts

The best shape? Believe me, you would have to be pretty damn built to benchpress 3x your own body weight. My best was benching 310lb when I weighed 165. I am only 5'7'. 3x that, and I would've been benching 495lb. Jeez.

Hammurabi-Sith

Hammurabi-Sith

Eye for an eye you liberal hippies!

• Members
  • 2,689 posts
If you want to increase your bench press then every 10 days you need to bench 10 lbs more than you did 10 days before. Why? If you keep bench pressing the same weight that you feel comfortable with then your muscles will not grow and you will not increase it.

You have to push yourself and believe that you can bench more.

I increased by benchpress by 250 lbs from 10th to 12th grade based on that philosophy that my weightlifting coach instilled in me.

Tex

Tex

• Members
  • 3,294 posts
Oddly enough I've never been able to bench all that much. I say that because I've been into working out off and on for about the past 20 years of so. I do mostly dumbells now (give it a try if you've been doing barbells mostly- you really get a lot more out of it), so I haven't actually done a standard bench press in years, but I think the most I ever did was 250 lbs 6 times. I've been told that equates to doing @ 300 lbs once, which isn't really all that great for a guy my size (5'10", 205 lbs). At this point I'm not into it to get bigger or stronger, though, so it's a moot point.

As for the 3x your weight thing, I'm pretty sure that the guy meant lifting your body weight 3 times, not 3 times your body weight once.

Guest_bigrigjake_*

Guest_bigrigjake_*
  • Guests
ya im a freshman in football and i weigh 180 lbs. but i kan only do bench 135 lbs. i kan deadlift atleast 140 lbs. buti kan leg press at least 220 lbs. wht can i do to help out the bench press cuz 135 isnt going to work

Dr. Destructo

Dr. Destructo

King of Mass!

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
I'm 260lbs and bench 325lbs as my routine. My max is about 400lbs (once).

Guest_claxton21_*

Guest_claxton21_*
  • Guests
I was on the weight lifting team from the 6th grade until i graduated. Im in the navy and still working out. Bench pressing 3x your own body weight is possible but not a goal very many people achieve. I made it to 4 state championships and have yet to see that done. Im 5' 6" and 135 pounds and maxed around 235-240. I was fine with that so didnt really strain to increase it so its possible to get more. The strain that would put on your bone structure isnt good either but its your body. Start out doing your own body weight if possible. If not then keep lowering the weight until you can do it 10 times. thats your starting point. then move down to sets of 8,6,4,2. and increase the weight as you go. Your bench max should move up 5-10 pounds a week until you hit a peek for your size. then increasing your max will take more time. Try not to over do your self and rest a day between each work out. The body builds mass by resting and using protien. If you dont rest then you wont get bigger. Hope this helps.

kaseycoleman93

kaseycoleman93

• Members
  • 2 posts

I'm thinking everyone should at least be able to bench their own body weight, can I get some insight on this matter.

Usually, if your capable of benching your bodyweight its a good indicator of being in shape. I have been in the weight room since 7th grade, starting out sadly low, chunky, and weak, I greatly changed over the next years. Eighth grade year, i weight 180 benched 185 1rep max. one of the highest in my grade.

following that lost 60lbs, down to 120 outa the weight room for 2 years. supprisingly hadn't lost that much strength, started again got back up to 185 after a couple months, got stuck there. for months it seemed, when i finally got 200 i was stoked.

again, got outa the weight room for another year or so, just moved schools. Now living near a lifetime fitness, i got a membership. started on bench at 155,.. discusted with my self i was very devoted to get the weight back up. now shockingly 4-5 months later, im weighing 143 about 3.5% body fat my bench is at 275 and is rapidly increasing!!! gaining pounds a week!! Very dissapointing that my school i now live at dose not have a powerlifting team, i would be making it to state in our division. getting scholar ships.

caaraa

caaraa

• Members
  • 5 posts
Posted ImagePosted Image