Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Robocop ... Murphy's Death

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Panda Mime

Panda Mime

• Members
  • 119 posts
I've never seen the begining of Robocop until just now... holy crap. Murphy get's taken to the hole. That is one brutal "death" scene. I just had to say that.

SleepinGiant

SleepinGiant

cinenut

• Members
  • 6,523 posts
I remember seeing that in the theater when it came out..And I agree with ya. PULVERIZING scene!

That's a reason why I have Robocop in high regard because that was the only movie at the time to capture a rough & tough look at superheroes.

Panda Mime

Panda Mime

• Members
  • 119 posts
Yeah I know what you mean, SG. thumbs_u

If only the Robocop sequels held closer to the orginal feel.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts
I think I was about 6 when I first saw Robocop and that scene scared me to death, its totally sick. I still try not to watch that scene if I know Robocop is ever on TV, I'll change the channel till its finished. Its the only scene in any film I'm like that with, I can watch pretty much anything else.

Colt45

Colt45

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
but which version did you watch? if you saw it on TV, it was the R-rated version, and that one's brutal, but it was cut down by the MPAA from the much more brutal and notorious NC-17 version Verhoven wanted for release in '87... he was denied.

The Criterion DVD is the only NC-17 copy of the film that I know of... if you haven't seen it, and you really wanna get a taste for how violent the scene REALLY is, check that out. It's not for the faint of heart.

JTBT

JTBT

• Members
  • 5,362 posts
Speaking of nasty, there was also the scene where one of the bad guys gets splashed by the the toxic stuff and then ran over. Splatter city. :D

captainbleh

captainbleh

• Members
  • 4,745 posts
Robocop is pretty visceral (duh.. Verhoeven.. duh..), but I haven't seen it for ages.

I guess the violence has a purpose, though; you really want Murphy to kill Boddicker at the end, which is possibly more disturbing that anything else...

Colt45

Colt45

• Members
  • 2,998 posts

CaptainBleh:
I guess the violence has a purpose, though;

Verhoven stated he wanted Murphy's death to be so unbelievably graphic and violent because we spend so very little time getting to know him (he dies in the first half hour)... his extremely violent death accelerates audience sympathy for him. A smart move on Verhoven's part, because what good is a protagonist that becomes someone else in the first half hour of the movie unless we care about him deeply?(hence the brutal execution)

R5-VAN DAMM

R5-VAN DAMM

DITHPICABLE!!!

• Members
  • 6,097 posts
I agree!! I love this movie!!

thumbs_u thumbs_u

I also have to mention that I STILL get shivers down my spine at the scene where the robot doesn't back off when that guy threw down his gun in the office demonstration. That is one freaky moment!! They really captured the sheer terror that would've been felt in that office before he got blown away.

Axis

Axis

a complete unknown

• Members
  • 7,431 posts

JTBT:
Speaking of nasty, there was also the scene where one of the bad guys gets splashed by the the toxic stuff and then ran over. Splatter city. :D

That scene was utter brilliance.

I saw Robocop when i was about 7, and that death scene simaltaneously scared the living hell out of me, and intrigued me so much that i wanted to watch as much gore and horror as i could. I dont think Robocop gets nearly as much cred as it should.

P-99 9mm

P-99 9mm

• Members
  • 655 posts
Oh boy did that part scare me when I first saw Robocop,I thought I was going to be sick, thought I did feel for Murphy which as pointed out before is what Verhoven wanted in that part of the film.
I still shut my eyes when that part comes on, I have yet to see the NC17/ Unrated version off the film which in edtion to Murphy's death scene there is also extended footage of the excutive beinng shot by ED 209 ,as well more violence in other parts.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 18,542 posts

CaptainBleh:
Robocop is pretty visceral (duh.. Verhoeven.. duh..), but I haven't seen it for ages.

I guess the violence has a purpose, though; you really want Murphy to kill Boddicker at the end, which is possibly more disturbing that anything else...

I agree, CB. Boddicker's death at the end was more disturbing to me than any other death in the movie. Anything dealing with blood gushing/squirting out of a neck always bothers me.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
What's most disgusting to me about that scene is not the blood squirting out of his neck, but the fact that after Robocop stabs him and pulls that blade out, this huge, thick mass of what appears to be almost clotted blood sprays onto Robocop's chest. Great stuff, lol.

basil

basil

• Banned Users
  • 14,855 posts
Murphy's death was my favorite scene(I haven't seen it since it came out). It is very, very disturbing.

I'm intrigued about this NC17 version. Might be a good rental.

Colt45

Colt45

• Members
  • 2,998 posts

Jason Solo:
What's most disgusting to me about that scene is not the blood squirting out of his neck, but the fact that after Robocop stabs him and pulls that blade out, this huge, thick mass of what appears to be almost clotted blood sprays onto Robocop's chest. Great stuff, lol.

thumbs_u

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,888 posts
I never heard of teh nc-17 version before, a question though, is the prime directives miniseries like a different universe from bparts 2 and 3? and also, is the prim directives tape all of them itself, cause i know they are 4 seperate dvd's seperately as well.

Darth Shape

Darth Shape

• Members
  • 2,006 posts
Prime Directives doesn't acknowledge the sequels, though I guess we can assume it ignores them as OCP went bankrupt at the end of RoboCop 3 and they're alive and well in Dark Justice.

The series is being released part-by-part. Dark Justice and Meltdown have already been released, with Resurrection and Crash & Burn to follow. I've seen up to Meltdown and it's a decent series, though I miss the theme.

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
Jesus, No offense, but for those that saw it when you were 6 or 7, where the hell were your parents?! I'd never let my kid watch it at that age. It is a very graphic scene and film. I was an older teenager before I saw it and it scared the crap out of me. That kind of thing is not good for small kids to watch.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,888 posts

Darth Shape:
Prime Directives doesn't acknowledge the sequels, though I guess we can assume it ignores them as OCP went bankrupt at the end of RoboCop 3 and they're alive and well in Dark Justice.

The series is being released part-by-part. Dark Justice and Meltdown have already been released, with Resurrection and Crash & Burn to follow. I've seen up to Meltdown and it's a decent series, though I miss the theme.

thanks for clearing that up, so only the first 2 are on that Prim Directives dvd and it's like a collecter case, like instead of buying to two seperately you can buy them together?

Ewoksuck I agree with you to an extent, but what's werid is this movie had a whole toy line, well same with starship troopers and it had a sex scene :confused: :P

hypnosifl

hypnosifl

• Members
  • 596 posts

R5-VAN DAMM:
I agree!! I love this movie!!

thumbs_u thumbs_u

I also have to mention that I STILL get shivers down my spine at the scene where the robot doesn't back off when that guy threw down his gun in the office demonstration. That is one freaky moment!! They really captured the sheer terror that would've been felt in that office before he got blown away.

That scene was also cut for the R-rated version--in the director's cut they show the robot continuing to pump bullet's into the guy's lifeless body for longer as the officials scramble to disconnect its power. Verhoeven points out in the commentary that the original intent was to have that scene be sort of comical in an over-the-top cartoonish way, and that by cutting it down the scene actually became more sinister and scary than it was in the extended cut.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 18,542 posts
What I want to know is, why didn't the guy, or everybody except the technicians working on ED209, run the hell out of the room?

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• Supporters
  • 34,868 posts
oh my god. I watched Murphy's death scene earlier for the first time. If I had seen that when I was younger, I would have thrown up all over the place. I was still shaken and sickened by it, which really shows it's impact on me, though. What parts were cut from the R-rated version because I believe I saw the NC-17 version?

I will never be able to look at Red Foreman on That 70's Show the same way ever again...

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,888 posts

Jacen123:
oh my god. I watched Murphy's death scene earlier for the first time. If I had seen that when I was younger, I would have thrown up all over the place. I was still shaken and sickened by it, which really shows it's impact on me, though. What parts were cut from the R-rated version because I believe I saw the NC-17 version?

I will never be able to look at Red Foreman on That 70's Show the same way ever again...

You know, i never realised Red forum's actor was in robocop lol :P

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
If anyone watches ER, the guy that gets melted by the toxic waste then splatered all over Boddicker's car is the actor who plays the role of Dr. Romano. Just an interesting fact there. Speaking of that scene though, I love the fact that Boddicker switches on the windshield wipers after he hits the guy. laugh

wutwut

wutwut

I am the black smoke

• Members
  • 1,756 posts
Can someone outline this scene for me in words. I wanna know what happens in it first before i watch it.